Int: Redman - Gleeson - Parish - Langford

B: Hooker - Ambrose - Francis
HB: Saad - Hurley - McGrath
C: McKenna - Heppell - Cutler
HF: Smith - Daniher - Fantasia
F: Tipungwuti - McKernan - Stringer
R: Phillips - Shiel - Merrett
Int: Redman - Gleeson - Parish - Langford
Was going to ask where Ridley is, but yeah... cant fit him in. I appreciate you keeping Gleeson in. Underrated player.

Obv TBell ahead of Phillips if fit. Perhaps Hooker forward in place of Mckernan, and give BZT a run.
We are looking decent!

B Francis Ambrose Gleeson
HB Saad. Hurley. Mckenna
C. McGrath. Parish. Heppell
HF. Smith. Daniher. Fantasia
F. Tippa. Hooker. Stringer

Rucks Phillips
Merrett

Rover. Shiel

Int - Redman, Cutler, Smack, Langford

Emerg - TBC, Zaka, Laverde

1. I’d be playing Hooker fwd from now on & phase in BTZ for more games where opportunity presents. He’s too slow now as a KDP & can create a headache as another marking option with JD & Smack moving through the 50.

2. TBC is cooked imo. I’d be starting Phillips & using Smack to chop him out.

Last edited:
Francis Hooker Saad
Redman Hurley Gleeson
McGrath Zerrett Zaharakis
Stringer Smack Fantasia
Stewart Daniher Walla
Belly Heppell Shiel
Parish Langford Smith McKenna

So some controversial decisions

1. No Ambrose
So this is incredibly stiff if you ask me, but someone had to make room. We can't carry all of Ambrose, France, Hooker and Hurley as it is too tall. Hooker and Hurley play if fit due to seniority let's face it. So who do we want out of Frang and Ambrose? Well we can't drop Frang on last year's final and he has greater x factor anyway. I doubt this is an issue though due to Hooker/Hurley durability issues lately.

2. Stewart over Brown
So this is an interesting one. I think we forget what a force the Fanta/Joey/Walla/Hooker/Stewart combo was in 2017. Add Stringer and replace Smack for Hooker and we have a very similar potent combo. Brown hasn't done a lot wrong, but he should be only depth for a team trying to win a final. Stewart can play the same role as a lead up forward but has a higher upside.

B Francis Ambrose Gleeson
HB Saad. Hurley. Mckenna
C. McGrath. Parish. Heppell
HF. Smith. Daniher. Fantasia
F. Tippa. Hooker. Stringer

Rucks Phillips
Merrett

Rover. Shiel

Int - Redman, Cutler, Smack, Langford

I’d be playing Hooker fwd from now on & phase in BTZ for more games where opportunity presents. He’s too slow now as a KDP & can create a headache as another marking option with JD & Smack moving through the 50.

Very similar.

Francis Ambrose Gleeson
Saad Hurley McKenna
McGrath Shiel Merrett
Tippa Daniher Smith
Fantasia Hooker/McKernan Stringer

Phillips/TBC
Heppell
Parish

Redman
Clark
Zaharakis
McK/BZT

Depth: Langford, Laverde, Mutch, Ridley, Cutler, Ham, Draper

Don't want to see Hooker and TBC playing regularly until after round 12. We need them fit and able in the back half of the year. They can not make it through a whole season. We need to look after them. Give some games to BZT, Draper, Smack, Laverde early instead. Heppell also needs to be looked after through the season. Give him the odd game up forward or off half back instead of letting the s**t get kicked out of him every week. Merrett to a wing. It's where he plays his best footy and we just need more grunt in the clearances.

Francis Hooker Saad
Redman Hurley Gleeson
McGrath Zerrett Zaharakis
Stringer Smack Fantasia
Stewart Daniher Walla
Belly Heppell Shiel
Parish Langford Smith McKenna

So some controversial decisions

1. No Ambrose
So this is incredibly stiff if you ask me, but someone had to make room. We can't carry all of Ambrose, France, Hooker and Hurley as it is too tall. Hooker and Hurley play if fit due to seniority let's face it. So who do we want out of Frang and Ambrose? Well we can't drop Frang on last year's final and he has greater x factor anyway. I doubt this is an issue though due to Hooker/Hurley durability issues lately.

2. Stewart over Brown
So this is an interesting one. I think we forget what a force the Fanta/Joey/Walla/Hooker/Stewart combo was in 2017. Add Stringer and replace Smack for Hooker and we have a very similar potent combo. Brown hasn't done a lot wrong, but he should be only depth for a team trying to win a final. Stewart can play the same role as a lead up forward but has a higher upside.

I get your sentiment re balance of KPD, but omitting Ambrose isn’t the answer when he was our best KPD this year. Hooker goes fwd everyday of the week to accomodate him ahead of Brown/Stewart who ideally shouldn’t be best 22.

Not a bad dilemma to have though!

With our new additions I'd have;-

Francis Ambrose McKenna
Gleeson Hurley Saad
Merrett Shiel McGrath
Langford McKernan Fantasia
Stringer Daniher Tippa

Phillips Heppell Smith

Bench from: Parish Redman Zakka Hooker

Pretty decent side - Langford probably the most contentious included in my starting 22 - just get the feeling he might have a big 2020!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B Francis Hooker Saad
HB Redman Hurley Mckeena
C Shiel Merrett McGrath
HF Fantasia Daniher Langford
F Tipungwuti Mckernan Stringer
Foll Bellchambers Heppell Parish
Inter: Ambrose,Smith,Guelfi,Cutler

Wouldn’t Mind putting Ambrose through the Midfield. Gut runner. Even if he only gets 10-15 touches he’s a big body.

Depth

Defenders: Ridley,Gleeson,Zerk-Thatcher,Hartley

Midfielders: Clarke,Mutch,Jok,Mynott,Ham,Zaharakis

Forwards:
Laverde,Begley,Gown,Brown,Stewart

Wouldn't mind seeing big Tommy Cutler given a crack if he trains as a clearance/inside mid this pre-season. Has the size and massive boot for it, just haven't seen enough of him to tell if that's how he plays.

Wouldn't mind seeing big Tommy Cutler given a crack if he trains as a clearance/inside mid this pre-season. Has the size and massive boot for it, just haven't seen enough of him to tell if that's how he plays.

I imagine it'd be a lot like watching Langford play as an inside mid because he's got the size for it. Don't think either of them have the natural aggression the genuine inside players do.

Compare SPP to Langford in how they attack a contest for example.

I imagine it'd be a lot like watching Langford play as an inside mid because he's got the size for it. Don't think either of them have the natural aggression the genuine inside players do.

Compare SPP to Langford in how they attack a contest for example.
Fair point. I'd like to see big Tom get aggressive, looks like a solid unit

Was going to ask where Ridley is, but yeah... cant fit him in. I appreciate you keeping Gleeson in. Underrated player.

Obv TBell ahead of Phillips if fit. Perhaps Hooker forward in place of Mckernan, and give BZT a run.
We are looking decent!
I'm not sure TBell is obviously ahead of Phillips. By the sounds of things he has superior stamina to TBell and finished 2019 with some ascendancy in form.

Im addicted to doing this - whenever there are changes to list etc I'm straight on it. Love to see what the possibilities are...My latest;-

Hooker Hurley Saad
Gleeson Francis McGrath
Redman Shiel Merrett
Cutler Stringer McKenna
Fantasia Daniher Tippa

Phillips Heppell Smith

Bench from: Parish Zakka Ambrose McKernan

I've gone with a smallish forward line - but lots of X factor there - Tippa, Fanta, Stringer...McKenna up forward and IF (and its a big if) Daniher comes good in 2020 we can seriously push for top 4 with that team

I've been thinking about the overall structure of our side. How we'd like to balance each line. For me it's fairly flexible (other than the midfield, I firmly believe that's the best structure), especially up forward. Anyway I was thinking 7 defenders, 6 forwards, 1 ruck, 8 midfielders.

Defenders:

Option 1: 3x KD, 2x MD, 2x SD
Option 2: 2x KD, 3x MD, 2x SD
Option 3: 2x KD, 2x MD, 3x SD

Midfield: 3x OM, 5x IM, 1x ruck

Forward:

Option 1: 2x KF, 2x MF, 2x SF
Option 2: 3x KF, 1x MF, 2x SF
Option 3: 2x KF, 1x MF, 3x SF
Option 4: 3x KF, 0x MF, 3x SF

Overall (if we take option 2 for def and fwd) that looks like:

FB: MD2 - KD1 - SD1
HB: MD1 - KD2 - SD2
MF: OM1 - IM1 - OM2
HF: MF1 - KF2 - SF1
FF: SF2 - KF1 - KF3/R2
OB: R1 - IM2 - IM3
IC: MD3 - OM3 - IM4 - IM5

Putting it into an actual side:

FB: Aaron Francis - Michael Hurley - Adam Saad
HB: Mason Redman - Patrick Ambrose- Conor McKenna
MF: Tom Cutler - Dylan Shiel- Andrew McGrath
HF: Jake Stringer - Joe Daniher - Orazio Fantasia
FF: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - Cale Hooker - Shaun McKernan
OB: Tom Bellchambers - Dyson Heppell - Zach Merrett
IC: Martin Gleeson - Kyle Langford - Devon Smith - Darcy Parish

Ideally we'd have Dylan Clarke in there as well. I'm not sold on which forward structure we go with yet, nor defensive.

I find it funny that most of us are in agreeance that Zaka is no longer best 22. But turn to Facebook and people talk about him like he's Voss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back