Team Mgmt. Starting 22 round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Zaka was cooked from around round 3 last season but hopefully he can turn it around.

I’m not sure he’s cooked it’s just Zaka has not got a real desire and hunger to do the real hard things in this game. For example sticking a tackle and running hard defensively consistently. He may well be a product of the soft culture the club has or it could be he is following coaches orders or it could be he’s just been so confident of getting a game no matter how lazy/soft he plays.
I don’t know and more educated ppl then me might know better. But what has happened is all of a sudden there might be some (genuine) competition for his spot in the 22 next year.
He needs to change his ‘spots’ or there might not be a ‘spot’ for him anymore.

Francis Hurley Redman
McKenna Ambrose Saad
Heppell Hibberd Cutler
Stringer Daniher Smith
Fantasia Hooker Tipungwuti
Bellchambers Shiel Merrett
McKernan McGrath Parish Langford

Last spot up for grabs between Laverde, Langford, Begley, Clarke or Ham. Will more than likely go to Zaharakis though. Can’t get by on his name alone though anymore, has to show something or he’s looking at VFL time.
Heppell to rotate back or forward at times to reduce his workload. More onball time for McGrath and Parish.

Francis Hurley Redman
McKenna Ambrose Saad
Heppell Hibberd Cutler
Stringer Daniher Smith

Last spot up for grabs between Laverde, Langford, Begley, Clarke or Ham. Will more than likely go to Zaharakis though. Can’t get by on his name alone though anymore, has to show something or he’s looking at VFL time.
Heppell to rotate back or forward at times to reduce his workload. More onball time for McGrath and Parish.
Marty Gleeson would have to feel pretty unlucky too. Side looks good though. I also think Hooker should play forward more this year.

FB Saad Ambrose Hurley
HB Gleeson Hooker Redman
R Bellchambers Shiel Parish
C McKenna Heppell Merrett
HF Fantasia Daniher Smith
FF Stringer McKernan McDonald-Tipungwuti
I Francis Zaharakis McGrath Hibberd
E Phillips Cutler Clarke Laverde Ridley

I'll try again, a bit more thoughtfully than before.

B: Francis Ambrose Saad
HB: McKenna Hurley Gleeson
C: Redman Heppell Cutler
HF: Fantasia Daniher Smith
F: Stringer Hooker Tipungwuti
Fol: Bellchambers/Phillips Shiel Merrett

R: McKernan, McGrath, Parish, Hibberd

I think I left Gleeson out last time. His hands and vision are too good to omit.
Hooker plays forward. He can still have a massive impact and we need to start looking forward to BZerk.

I'd prefer to try Hibberd than Langford to allow Heppell time off the ball.

Interesting, when Daniher, Hooker and Stringer are in and Walla and Smith are in the same forwardline, the space the talls would open up would be immense.

Marking options on the wings in Redman and Cutler become super important. I hope Cutler is the weapon so many here think he will be. I'm more confident in Redders though.

Francis Hurley Redman
McKenna Ambrose Saad
Heppell Hibberd Cutler
Stringer Daniher Smith

Hooker still plays back, will be interesting to see how we manage the key defenders whilst integrating BZT in for some games

B: Hooker - Hurley - Francis
HB: Redman - Ambrose - Saad
C: McKenna - Heppell - Merrett
HF: Fantasia - Daniher - Smith
F: Stringer - McKernan - Tipungwuti
Fol: Phillips - Shiel - McGrath
Int: Hibberd - Cutler - Langford - Gleeson
EMG: Zaka - Bellchambers - BZT - Townsend

I'm surely forgetting someone, but this would be best 22 for me.

Hard to fit Parish in the team, honestly. I've given Hibberd the benefit of the doubt but I think those two will be competing for the same spot as an inside mid.

McGrath and Merrett are both better as inside mids, at least at this stage. Agree he needs a proper run at it, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Francis Hurley Saad
HB: McKenna Ambrose Heppell
C: Cutler Shiel Mcgrath
HF: Smith Daniher Fantasia
F: Stringer Hooker Tipungwuti
R: Bellchambers Parish Merrett
Int: Hibberd, Townsend, McKernan, Redman

Agree parish hands are elite in the contest. I hope parish has a big break out year, just needs to work on not having the occasion brain fade when kicking.

Yep agree

But it's almost counteracted by his elite kicks in every game aswell which are laser like. Take the good with the bad sometimes

Hooker still plays back, will be interesting to see how we manage the key defenders whilst integrating BZT in for some games
I would say Hooker is in his final couple of years at the club. Everyone fit and healthy, I would like him used as a swing man for that time. We need forwards, and as you said need to integrate BZT throughout the year. Hurley, Francis, Ambrose and Hooker is to tall. However, Hooker going back for the final few minutes of a quarter to intercept or if a big forward i.e Hawkins is getting away from Ambrose or Hurley. Hooker is a team player and will do what’s necessary for the team.

B: Ambrose Hurley Saad
HB : Francis Hooker Heppell
C: Merrett Parish McKenna
HF: Stringer Daniher Smith
F: Fantasia McKernan AMD
Fol: Bellchambers Shiel McGrath
I/C : Gleeson Redman Cutler Hibberd

Townsend ,Phillips ,Zaharakis , Clarke Langford ,Laverde , Begley and Ridley are obvious candidates to be in best 22 but I think will start VFL.
If Townsend is in it means either Gleeson or Ambrose is VFL.

Zaharakis from memory was having plenty of off season work. I hope we don't see him round 1. Make him work to get back into the side

Francis - Ambrose - Saad
McKenna - Hurley - Ridley (Gleeson)
Hepp - Zerrett - Redman (Cutler/Ham/Langers)
D.Smith - Daniher - Tippa
Fantasia - J.Stewart - Stringer (Laverde)
Bellchambers - Shiel - Parish (McGrath)

Last edited:
Who are the 23 fit ones?
Based on the bit I can get from the HS article preview, and the last injury update we got for the pre-season, the ones who aren't fit seem to be:
  1. Heppell (unfused growth plate)
  2. Daniher (groin)
  3. Fantasia (hip)
  4. Shiel ? - Listed in the Herald Sun article, but we were never told he was having surgery for anything...
  5. Hurley (shoulder reconstruction)
  6. Gleeson (ankle arthroscopy)
  7. Guelfi (lateral meniscus)
  8. Zaharakis (syndesmosis)
  9. Mosquito (hamstring)
  10. Gown (foot stress fracture)
  11. Stewart (groin)
  12. Mutch (fractured knee cap)
  13. Smith (knee) - I thought he was going to be ready for full training last we heard, but who knows?
  14. Draper (ACL)
  15. Johnson (ACL)
I dunno who the other 8 would be. There are some that seem to be constantly managing injuries that may have had something done, but you'd think they'd be listed in the headline alongside Heppell, Daniher, Fantasia, Shiel, Hurley if they were noteworthy. So probably not Hooker for example.

Not sure how they're defining fully fit, but there may be some older players or some draftees on lighter training loads just coz that they're counting as well..? :shrug:

B: Ambrose Hurley Saad
HB : Francis Hooker Heppell
C: Merrett Parish McKenna
HF: Stringer Daniher Smith
F: Fantasia McKernan AMD
Fol: Bellchambers Shiel McGrath
I/C : Gleeson Redman Cutler Hibberd

Townsend ,Phillips ,Zaharakis , Clarke Langford ,Laverde , Begley and Ridley are obvious candidates to be in best 22 but I think will start VFL.
If Townsend is in it means either Gleeson or Ambrose is VFL.
But if Towny is in he'll play as a forward. Why would it mean that either Gleeson or Ambrose is out? I reckon it could be more likely that he's in because Fantasia is still injured (although he was overheard at training describing himself as 'absolutely humming', so that's something) or McKernan is out injured.

If either Ambrose or Gleeson is out, we should expect Zerk or Ridley to come in.

Based on the bit I can get from the HS article preview, and the last injury update we got for the pre-season, the ones who aren't fit seem to be:
  1. Heppell (unfused growth plate)
  2. Daniher (groin)
  3. Fantasia (hip)
  4. Shiel ? - Listed in the Herald Sun article, but we were never told he was having surgery for anything...
  5. Hurley (shoulder reconstruction)
  6. Gleeson (ankle arthroscopy)
  7. Guelfi (lateral meniscus)
  8. Zaharakis (syndesmosis)
  9. Mosquito (hamstring)
  10. Gown (foot stress fracture)
  11. Stewart (groin)
  12. Mutch (fractured knee cap)
  13. Smith (knee) - I thought he was going to be ready for full training last we heard, but who knows?
  14. Draper (ACL)
  15. Johnson (ACL)
I dunno who the other 8 would be. There are some that seem to be constantly managing injuries that may have had something done, but you'd think they'd be listed in the headline alongside Heppell, Daniher, Fantasia, Shiel, Hurley if they were noteworthy. So probably not Hooker for example.

Not sure how they're defining fully fit, but there may be some older players or some draftees on lighter training loads just coz that they're counting as well..? :shrug:
Smith's knee doesn't look troubling here...
1575788054344.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back