Prediction Starting Best 22 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Over reading and seeing the gresh isn't in our 22 is absolutely kidding themselves. The play making ability vision and creativity of the kid is something special, don't forget he is a clearance King. He will 100% play 22 games next year no doubt about it
While I reckon he'll be in our best team and don't think anyone doubts his ability going forward in the long term, there's a thing called the "2nd year blues" (possibly as a result of a much greater load in their 2nd preseason) and it remains to be seen if he'll get a dose of it or not.

This time last year most of us would have thought Lonie would play every week when fit and available and yet he ended up spending more time in the VFL.

There's going to be huge competition for spots between the likes of Acres, Billings, Weller, Stevens, Dunstan, Steele, Gresh, Lonie, Wright, Sinclair, Long and Minch, and if any of them are not quite on their game, they're likely to be out of the team.

While I reckon he'll be in our best team and don't think anyone doubts his ability going forward in the long term, there's a thing called the "2nd year blues" (possibly as a result of a much greater load in their 2nd preseason) and it remains to be seen if he'll get a dose of it or not.

This time last year most of us would have thought Lonie would play every week when fit and available and yet he ended up spending more time in the VFL.

There's going to be huge competition for spots between the likes of Acres, Billings, Weller, Stevens, Dunstan, Steele, Gresh, Lonie, Wright, Sinclair, Long and Minch, and if any of them are not quite on their game, they're likely to be out of the team.
Agree with that but gresh has special qualities that seperate him from the rest, Lonie in a way is a one trick pony possibly the reason he suffered from second year blues. I honestly think it's a myth as most of our new young guns have not suffered second year blues. Paddy was much better in his second then his first year. Same with billings till he got injured. Dunstan hasn't changed yet witch is a bit concerning because how big can his scope for improvement be? Think Lonies spot the gresh took purely because he's a better footballer and has multiple tricks up the sleeve. I can't see anyone on our list playing ahead of him doing his amount of damage and tricks that he brings to the table. Electric pure brilliance. 200+ gamer

If all of the young kids come good in a couple of years, it is more likely to be bread and butter players like Geary, Dunstan and even Weller that will need to make room.
It won't be Billings and Gresh.
In a couple of years? This is a thread about next year. I haven't seen anyone suggest even remotely that they think Gresh won't be best 22 in couple of years time!

Agree with that but gresh has special qualities that seperate him from the rest, Lonie in a way is a one trick pony possibly the reason he suffered from second year blues. I honestly think it's a myth as most of our new young guns have not suffered second year blues. Paddy was much better in his second then his first year. Same with billings till he got injured. Dunstan hasn't changed yet witch is a bit concerning because how big can his scope for improvement be? Think Lonies spot the gresh took purely because he's a better footballer and has multiple tricks up the sleeve. I can't see anyone on our list playing ahead of him doing his amount of damage and tricks that he brings to the table. Electric pure brilliance. 200+ gamer
It's certainly not something that affects everyone, but some definitely have a worse 2nd year and it's usually those who play a fair bit in their first year, as opposed to the Paddy types who only got a small taste in their first and as such don't have anything to get the "blues" from.

Dunstan was definitely worse in his 2nd year, as were Lonie and Sinclair (who like Gresh, is not one-dimensional and unlike Gresh, played every week in the seniors in his first year when he was available- albeit in a weaker team).

As I said, I'm very confident that Jade will be best 22 next year, but I was probably equally confident of the same thing re. Lonie this year and it didn't happen, so we'll just see. Again, there is looking like being huge competition for spots, so anyone who accurately predicts all those who are going to be best 22 and all those who won't be is doing extremely well.

In a couple of years? This is a thread about next year. I haven't seen anyone suggest even remotely that they think Gresh won't be best 22 in couple of years time!

Well unless Gresh goes backwards he's in ahead of some of the others we are discussing, purely on his stats.

My love for the Gresh knows no bounds, but it's not outlandish to say a 2nd Year player misses out.

I don't disagree with your premise though.
He'll probably have second year blues, too.

(Here fishy fishy fishy... )

FB: Geary - Brown - Dempster/Robbo
HB: Newnes - Carlisle - Savage
C: Riewoldt - Acres - McKenzie
CHF: Billings - Membrey - Steele
FF: Gresham - McCartin - Bruce
R: Hickey Ross Steven
I: Armitage Stevens Montagna Weller

Really wanted Webster, Sinclair & Long in the team. Stevens' agro and goal threat potential further complicates things for the opposition (with Armo, Steele and Acres 2.0).

Possibly Long in for Stevens if he goes ballistic in the NAB Cup.

Last edited:
Ok I'll give it ago and see what I come up with .

Geary Brown. Dempster

Joey. , Carlisle. Roberton

Roo, Armo, Newnes

Billings. McCartin. Weller

Membrey. Bruce. Gresh

Hickey. Dunstan. Steven

Interchange - Savage , Acres, Steele, Wright

Emerg. Longer , Gilbert , Stevens

A lot harder than I thought , and I'm sure I missed players too . Very hard to fit my favourite players in with people who probably should be there . If everyone is fit and in form then Sandy are going to have a cracker of a team . I so wanted to put Freeman in there but he has to prove himself first. Do you go for Joey or Sav or Webster who is someone I forgot . I went for Joey just because of his elite disposal. Sav gets on the bench ahead of Webster because he can be thrown forward or on the wing where as Webster is mostly just a back line player . I was tempted to put Holmes instead of Longer as emergency but Longer is better around the ground.
Damn I just realised I left Ross out of the side , he has to go into the starting team instead of Wright ........ I'm buggered , for the first time I hope we have a few minor injuries,, lol.
I think I will have to start again , lmao , no it's too hard , I want about 30 players in our starting 22 .

Ok Ross goes in for Dunstan
Dunstan moves into the centre
Armo moves to the bench
Wright goes out
So the bench is
Savage, Armo , Steele, Acres .

Not happy with Acres starting on the bench but I feel the three big forwards pick themselves, and I want Billings, Weller and Gresh feeding of them . Which means Acres has to start on the ball but he can't replace Steven or Ross and Dunstan is too good a player to not be starting on the ground. So the bench it is for Acres.
Unlucky players , main ones anyway , Sinclair, Lonie, MacKenzie , White, Gilbert, Stevens, Holmes, Goddard ( although he will be a certain starter next year after Dempster retires and Hugh is over his injuries) . I haven't included Battle, Long or Phillips just because we have to see if they are ready and up to AFL standard yet .
I think I've nearly named the entire squad, lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game is against Melbourne I think so two tall backs and sides tend to go established in the first round to try and get a good start so not many new inclusions other than established players (new and old)

FB: Geary - Brown - Dempster
C: Riewoldt - Acres - Billings
CHF: Weller - Bruce - Membrey
FF: Gresham - McCartin - Stevens

I: Armitage Dunstan Montagna Gilbert

Emerg - Mc Kenzie Steele Long White (Rice)

Changed my mind and included Gilbert for the taller option off the bench. Jeez hard task though - quite a few players who got a number of games last year that I didn't even think about let alone seriously consider.

First game is against Melbourne I think so two tall backs and sides tend to go established in the first round to try and get a good start so not many new inclusions other than established players (new and old)

Spot on, insofar as I reckon there'll be a lot more horses for courses than play the kids this year; it would indicate we're more about the wins and ladder position than in our recent 'development years'.

That being said, it depends on who we think they'll line up with as well.

Brown is probably more suited to a Pedersen than a Weideman, who's a bit agile perhaps, and could be covered by a Gilbert (or even Roberton) due to their edge in experience.

Changed my mind and included Gilbert for the taller option off the bench. Jeez hard task though - quite a few players who got a number of games last year that I didn't even think about let alone seriously consider.
Honestly think Steele is ahead of stevens very inconsistent

GEARY BROWN/GILBERT DEMPSTER (Goddard, Rice)
MONTAGNA CARLISLE ROBERTON (Webster, White)
RIEWOLDT ARMITAGE NEWNES (McKenzie, Freeman)
BILLINGS BRUCE WELLER (Sinclair, Minchinbury)
MEMBREY McCARTIN GRESHAM (Wright, Lonie)
HICKEY STEVEN ROSS (Longer, Stevens)
STEELE DUNSTAN SAVAGE ACRES

Brown if 2 monster forwards, Gilbert if only 1
Depth for lines in brackets
If more pressure needed then likes of Joey, Gresh and Savage can make way for Webster, Wright, McKenzie

B: Dempster brown geary
Hb: roberton Carlisle Mckenzie
C: newnes Armitage Riewoldt
Hf: billings Bruce Gresham
F: Weller McCartin membrey
Foll: hickey Ross Steven
Int: savage Montagna Steele acres

Emer: Stevens Webster long

Depth

Backs
Tall: Goddard Gilbert coughlan
Small: white rice Webster

Mids
Inside: dunstan Stevens
Outside: Sinclair okearney freeman

Forwards
Tall: battle Marshall
Small: lonie long minchington wright

Rucks
Longer Holmes pierce

FB: Geary - Brown - Dempster/Robbo
C: Riewoldt - Acres - McKenzie
CHF: Billings - Membrey - Steele
I: Armitage Stevens Montagna Weller

Really wanted Webster, Sinclair & Long in the team. Stevens' agro and goal threat potential further complicates things for the opposition (with Armo, Steele and Acres 2.0).

Possibly Long in for Stevens if he goes ballistic in the NAB Cup.

like your team

HB: Newnes c - Carlisle - (Acres-Montagna-Savage-Robertson-McKenzie)
C: Freeman - Armitage - Steele
CHF:( Billings-Weller) - Riewoldt - Membrey

I: Stevens Montagna Weller Savage Dunstan Longer

I expect huge years from Armitage , Newnes , Bruce , Steven , McCartin , Steele , Freeman - hope so
and I expect Riewoldt , Montagna even though they are freaks to be in and out of the team due to injury - Dempster , Brown the same, however my main concern is our backline , if Dempster or Brown breakdown we will have to fill in the gaps with Bruce if Carlisle or Brown breakdown.
what ever the case top 4 and in that position , you never know and the following year - with our new draft picks this year and perhaps a free agent will be in finals for years to come.

OOC at seasons end. Not a lot of obvious delistings, he will need to step up like Sinclair.

Yeah, he could be in a tough little spot. I love the kid but he has to get his skates on.

Possible delistings at this point - which is obviously a very long way out:
- Riewoldt (retirement)
- Montagna (retirement)
- Dempster (retirement)
- Gilbert (retirement/GWS)
- Holmes
- Hickey/Longer (trade)
- Minchington (though contracted)
- Wright (though contracted)
- Pierce
- Sinclair
- Lonie
- Coughlan (rookie)
- O'Kearney (rookie)

Most likely there's one or two retirements, and one or two ruckmen walk out the door. Then we'd only need to delist one or two more at a minimum.

But as always, there will be players who just don't come on, and by the end of the year some of the delistings will be obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back