Prediction Starting Best 22 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

So based on 12Chill, Moorabbin Ghost and a few others' cryptic and not-so-cryptic comments, (injury permitting) would this be the likely Round 1 side against the Dees?

FB: Geary (c) - Brown - Dempster
HB: Roberton - Carlisle - Savage
RK: Hickey - Armitage - Steven
CR: Riewoldt - Ross - Newnes
HF: Billings - Bruce - Stevens
FF: Weller - McCartin - Membrey
IC: Montagna Webster Gilbert Acres

Em: Lonie Gresham McKenzie Sinclair

The Reserves would then be;

FB: Rice - Goddard - Phillips
HB: Long - Coughlan - White
RK: Longer - Wright - Minchington
CR: McKenzie - Freeman - Sinclair
HF: O'Kearney - Battle - Gresham
FF: Lonie - Marshall - Holmes
IC: Connellan Joyce

Injured/Underdone: Dunstan, Steele.
What's the "all-campaigner" best 22? Carlisle captain, Dunstan vice, but what about the other positions?

I think when you miss the last two months of a season with a couple of bad hammies supporters seem to forget.
Jimmy is another who I think makes it but with Joey, Sav and probably Robbo playing across half back it makes it hard to fit him in.
Richo absolutely loves Jimmy though, the coach loves players who will run through brick walls for him.

Gresham, Dunstan, Lonie, Billings, Webster, Sinclair, McKenzie have all been told in no uncertain terms that this pre season may well be a defining one for them in the short term. When you don't make it into good teams (especially Richo teams) early on you are really up against it to find your way back.
The depth of our list now is really starting to show, 2004/05 and 2009/10 we all could have picked a best 16 and then it was a toss of the coin as to which c graders filled the team, already that is looking to not be the case for this side we are putting together.
"When you don't make it into good teams (especially Richo teams) early on you are really up against it to find your way back."

Oh no - please don't go there - the chosen few - it has a touch of the Ross Lyons about it.

"When you don't make it into good teams (especially Richo teams) early on you are really up against it to find your way back."

Oh no - please don't go there - the chosen few - it has a touch of the Ross Lyons about it.
Surely everyone realises there's a pretty fair amount of the Ross Lyon's about the way Richo does things?

Like Ross, he doesn't like to change his team unless he really has to and even when we first appointed him, he said how much he liked the way we went about it under Ross- from a defensive POV in particular- and how he wanted us to get back to playing that way again.

Given the depth we look to be building, there are likely to be some very frustrated campaigners (who are good enough to be playing seniors) running around in the VFL for us in the coming years, struggling to get a look in unless we have a fair few injuries.

Surely everyone realises there's a pretty fair amount of the Ross Lyon's about the way Richo does things?

Like Ross, he doesn't like to change his team unless he really has to and even when we first appointed him, he said how much he liked the way we went about it under Ross- from a defensive POV in particular- and how he wanted us to get back to playing that way again.

Given the depth we look to be building, there are likely to be some very frustrated campaigners (who are good enough to be playing seniors) running around in the VFL for us in the coming years, struggling to get a look in unless we have a fair few injuries.

I don't see a likeness to Lyon at all.

Last edited:
What's the "all-campaigner" best 22? Carlisle captain, Dunstan vice, but what about the other positions?
The Choomah Memorial Campaigner 22;

FB: Webster - Goddard - Gilbert
HB: Rice - Carlisle (vc) - Wright (vc)
RK: Longer - Dunstan - Armitage
CR: McKenzie - Steven - Newnes
HF: Weller (c) - Riewoldt - Stevens
FF: Lonie - McCartin - Membrey
IC: Gresham* Montagna Long Phillips

* ask Daisy

So based on 12Chill, Moorabbin Ghost and a few others' cryptic and not-so-cryptic comments, (injury permitting) would this be the likely Round 1 side against the Dees?

FB: Geary (c) - Brown - Dempster
HB: Roberton - Carlisle - Savage
RK: Hickey - Armitage - Steven
CR: Riewoldt - Ross - Newnes
HF: Billings - Bruce - Stevens
FF: Weller - McCartin - Membrey
IC: Montagna Webster Gilbert Acres

Em: Lonie Gresham McKenzie Sinclair

The Reserves would then be;

FB: Rice - Goddard - Phillips
HB: Long - Coughlan - White
RK: Longer - Wright - Minchington
CR: McKenzie - Freeman - Sinclair
HF: O'Kearney - Battle - Gresham
FF: Lonie - Marshall - Holmes
IC: Connellan Joyce

Injured/Underdone: Dunstan, Steele.

Barrels,
I'm intrigued by your positioning of the three followers in all your teams.
They are always placed midfield rather than at the bottom as tradition would have it.
Why?

Barrels,
I'm intrigued by your positioning of the three followers in all your teams.
They are always placed midfield rather than at the bottom as tradition would have it.
Why?
See below
Because he's a flog ;) :D
In all seriousness, it's because the midfield functions as a unit these days, so I throw them all in together; it helps me to make sure the balance is right, hopefully it does the same for others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* ask Daisy
God, you are amazing. :thumbsu:

* ask Daisy

One Jamie Webster would be the captain of any mad campaigner team every day of the week.
A few of his misdemeanours have emerged into the public forum, most have not. An absolute madman of the highest order, and one of the best kids you'd ever meet.

images-2.jpg

take out membrey for long and i think carlisle will play one preseason game if he even plays. still in rehab it seems he going to take longer than expected.

Interesting does everyone agree Longer is our number two ruckman ? I like Holmes myself although Longer may do more around the ground.
Holmes can out jump everyone with the exception of Nic Nat and he breaks even with him . He's also improving around the ground. He gave Stephan Martin a bath in the finally game last season. I would like him to get more game time but I can under stand Longer being number two as he was number one till he got injured and Hickey had to take his place . It's just a matter of can Longer find that form he had a couple of years ago? Last season , and I know he was coming back from major surgery but he looked poor in the seconds . My view anyway.

Do they have more on the bench in preseason games ?
I think Carlisle will maybe play the second or third game depending on fitness. Do you think Paddy will play all three if fit ? He really needs to get games under his belt.

One Jamie Webster would be the captain of any mad campaigner team every day of the week.
A few of his misdemeanours have emerged into the public forum, most have not. An absolute madman of the highest order, and one of the best kids you'd ever meet.
IMG_1494.JPG

Erroneous...

I would reply with a gif of Jimmy Webster earlier this year cannonballing the 2 Blues forwards at the same time if I had one.... Jimmy has way more campaigner than Mav

Not even in the same ball park

FB: J.Webster M.Brown B.Rice
HB: B.White J.Carlisle R.Roberton
C: J.Gresham S.Ross J.Newnes
HF: K.Stevens J.Bruce J.Billings
FF: J.Lonie P.McCartin T.Membrey
R: B.Longer B.Acres N.Freeman
I/C: N.Wright J.Sinclair B.Long D.Minchington
Emg: L.Pierce J.Battle, E.Philips

Rested: Hickey, Steven, Savage, Montagna, Riewoldt, Geary, Gilbert, Armitage, Dempster, Weller
Unavailable: Dunstan, Steele, Goddard

Reckon this pre-season is going to be a belter, so many promising young players to keep an eye out for. In previous years if you saw the sort of players I have excluded you would have assumed there'd be nobody left worth watching.

That's a pretty good looking side . You would think in at least one game Pierce , Holmes , Battle and Philips would all play. Looking forward to see how Philips goes and young Battle . You look at that team and think it's pretty good then look at the names of those missing. This is the first time that I can remember us having quality depth in our squad.

I would reply with a gif of Jimmy Webster earlier this year cannonballing the 2 Blues forwards at the same time if I had one.... Jimmy has way more campaigner than Mav

Not even in the same ball park
Bah. Mav by the straight...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back