Premiership Player
Aug 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
Hi guys and girls,

I'm after a bit of information and feedback regarding your experiences as a junior coach and how you started off in the role, challenges you've faced, and getting the best out of the kids involved. What sort of requirements are there to be a coach - accreditations, qualifications, registrations?

I've played football through juniors and umpired for about 5 years. I've spent several seasons mentoring junior umpires and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I've found that the method I use with the kids has been very effective; I've always been patient without getting frustrated, and I've always been able to give tips and provide support when required. As such I've had some fantastic results.

Whilst umpiring and coaching are vastly different, I do enjoy that coaching aspect of mentoring and I'm considering picking it up in 2012.

Good for you:thumbsu:
I've been a junior coach for 7 years, started off in Auskick and moved onto coaching junior footy. Began by doing my level 1 course then did level 2 off my own bat because I wanted to develop myself a bit more as a coach.
I'm having this year off as a coach after 3 years of under 10, 11 & 12's. Fairly successful team having made finals all years and missed a Grand final by 5 points last year. Absolutely loved under 10's, the kids and parents are still very green and just love watching their kids get near the ball and running around having fun. Under 11's changed a bit with the introduction of finals, adults started to get a bit more intense thinking "little Johnny" was going to be the next Ablett or Swan. Start to give their "advice" to the coach and want their kid to play on the ball all the time. Under 12's was a nightmare for me. I was intent on teaching the kids about the game and revolving the positions to educate them about defence, attack and playing midfield. Ensuring equal game time for every kid regardless of skill level was my main focus as well (everyone pays the same amount of rego' fees). We were pretty successful, considering I had a team of 28 players (interchange was a nightmare) but the parent intervention really made the year a tough one. 1/2 way through the year I'd decided that I wasn't going to coach the next year, footy had lost it's "fun". We had weekly awards which I'd a lady set up a roster so that every kid got the equal amount of awards instead of just the best players every week (I figured they would get the votes).
In the week of our preliminary final game, the biggest game of these kids lives to date, we had some kids that preferred to play a grading game of basketball while other kids decided that footy was there main priority this week and they skipped their basketball games. Well I had to decide how I was going to use the interchange for the game while giving the kids an equal go so those kids that missed training would have to start on the bench. One father cracked the shits and texted me his thoughts (too weak to ring me or speak to me at training) I also started my son on the bench too (sucks being the coaches son).
This continued after the final and up until presentation day a month later. I couldnt just go up and sort it out the way i wanted to as i have a fairly high profile career that it wouldnt have looked appropriate. Ended up getting the club committee to sort it out. Really sapped the enjoyment out of junior footy
for me. I get some enjoyment out of just being a dad now and watching my boys play, some frustration at some coaching decisions that I don't think are in the kids best interests but my sons are getting a good go.
Sorry for the rant, you'll enjoy coaching junior footy if you go in with the view to educate the kids and ensure they enjoy the game and not just purely for purposes of winning. Auskick's a great start.
Good luck to you, stay true to what you believe in and make sure you always have the kids best interests at heart, also don't forget to enjoy the game yourself too:D

Some good points there Ferris.

Im 20yo and have been coaching now for 2 years. i have the added bonus of not being emotionally tied to any of the kids because they arent a son or a brother etc. i get great enjoyment out of seeing a player who may not have touched it in three week finally get a kick as you've working with them over that time or seeing a game plan you may have set up that works.
As well you will get great enjoyment in seeing the kids come off the ground happy that they have won and often after 10min of a loss they dont remember it much anymore (more for the younger kids)
One thing i will say to you is get the right people around you and make tht desicion early. Never gaurantee a position to anyone both on and off field other whise it will haunt you. If someone comes to you and says ill be your team manager say thanks and ill get back to you because you may have a few better candidates. It shandy to have a good assistant coach that is going to work with you and a runner that understands you.
This year i am coaching with another person and we work so well together and our urunner thinks on our wave length as well which allows us to give a message and he can realay it along with other stuff he may see out there.
I had a few issues with parents last year mainly due to there kids being problems and i gave jobs to the wwrong people.

Be prepared and fbe confident in yourself and your desiscions. Thats what i can say to you. You'll be fine if you understand sport an teaching.

My advice is set your rules out early - produce a document if you can. Depending upon the age group it will most likely be more beneficial for the parents but it will come in handy when problems come up - refer to the manual.

AFL accreditation is usually required.Level 1 is fine but there is level 2 and 3 I believe. Have had mine for a couple of years but haven't had time to have a go as of yet. Maybe next year if better things don't come along.

AFL accreditation is usually required.Level 1 is fine but there is level 2 and 3 I believe. Have had mine for a couple of years but haven't had time to have a go as of yet. Maybe next year if better things don't come along.

Level 3 is by invitation from the AFL only, level 2 requires an application which is supported by your club executive committee and a footballing mentor for a 12 month period.

Good for you:thumbsu:
I've been a junior coach for 7 years, started off in Auskick and moved onto coaching junior footy. Began by doing my level 1 course then did level 2 off my own bat because I wanted to develop myself a bit more as a coach.
I'm having this year off as a coach after 3 years of under 10, 11 & 12's. Fairly successful team having made finals all years and missed a Grand final by 5 points last year. Absolutely loved under 10's, the kids and parents are still very green and just love watching their kids get near the ball and running around having fun. Under 11's changed a bit with the introduction of finals, adults started to get a bit more intense thinking "little Johnny" was going to be the next Ablett or Swan. Start to give their "advice" to the coach and want their kid to play on the ball all the time. Under 12's was a nightmare for me. I was intent on teaching the kids about the game and revolving the positions to educate them about defence, attack and playing midfield. Ensuring equal game time for every kid regardless of skill level was my main focus as well (everyone pays the same amount of rego' fees). We were pretty successful, considering I had a team of 28 players (interchange was a nightmare) but the parent intervention really made the year a tough one. 1/2 way through the year I'd decided that I wasn't going to coach the next year, footy had lost it's "fun". We had weekly awards which I'd a lady set up a roster so that every kid got the equal amount of awards instead of just the best players every week (I figured they would get the votes).
In the week of our preliminary final game, the biggest game of these kids lives to date, we had some kids that preferred to play a grading game of basketball while other kids decided that footy was there main priority this week and they skipped their basketball games. Well I had to decide how I was going to use the interchange for the game while giving the kids an equal go so those kids that missed training would have to start on the bench. One father cracked the shits and texted me his thoughts (too weak to ring me or speak to me at training) I also started my son on the bench too (sucks being the coaches son).
This continued after the final and up until presentation day a month later. I couldnt just go up and sort it out the way i wanted to as i have a fairly high profile career that it wouldnt have looked appropriate. Ended up getting the club committee to sort it out. Really sapped the enjoyment out of junior footy
for me. I get some enjoyment out of just being a dad now and watching my boys play, some frustration at some coaching decisions that I don't think are in the kids best interests but my sons are getting a good go.
Sorry for the rant, you'll enjoy coaching junior footy if you go in with the view to educate the kids and ensure they enjoy the game and not just purely for purposes of winning. Auskick's a great start.
Good luck to you, stay true to what you believe in and make sure you always have the kids best interests at heart, also don't forget to enjoy the game yourself too:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back