Discussion State League Guernseys

Remove this Banner Ad

Given they would rather forget the jumper, probably not. I can't even remember WHEN they wore it last.

Apparently everyone hated it because they only ever won one game in it or never won a game wearing it or something pathetic like that.

But I probably will email the club anyway, as well as a few others. Be good to get some history, given I'm trying to make a portfolio of current SANFL jumpers as well as jumpers for hypothetical expansion sides.

Given they would rather forget the jumper, probably not. I can't even remember WHEN they wore it last.

Apparently everyone hated it because they only ever won one game in it or never won a game wearing it or something pathetic like that.

But I probably will email the club anyway, as well as a few others. Be good to get some history, given I'm trying to make a portfolio of current SANFL jumpers as well as jumpers for hypothetical expansion sides.
There was this thread which had clash guernseys from previous years, but guess what? He stopped before he got to Centrals and he's been offline since November.. :D

There was this thread which had clash guernseys from previous years, but guess what? He stopped before he got to Centrals and he's been offline since November.. :D
When did They wear this anyway?

When did They wear this anyway?
The season where every team had a compulsory clash guernsey. I can't remember the year, '08? '09? '10? '11?
Here's what I can sort of remember:
North had a inverse of their home(?)
Eagles had...I believe the inverse of their old guernsey with the full eagle and the gradients (blue guernsey?) and the three lines in the bottom corner.(?)
South had the SA monogram like Carlton's white clash guernsey of '08
Sturt had a white yoke thing with the SFC monogram on top (no idea why they made a clash, the rest of the guernsey was light blue anyway)
Centrals with the inverse of their home
Port was the only one who got away with it, though I don't think I ever watched them that season.(?)
Glenelg had.......um....Inverse of their home I think (yellow guernsey)(?)
Norwood had a half-blue, half red guernsey with the monogram half red-half blue (the opposite to the guernsey's colours)(?)
Bloods had a horizontal red to black gradient thing going on with their logo in the front. Turned out to be majority red.(?)

The only teams I'm 100% on are Centrals and Sturt and if Heardy didn't remind me, I wouldn't have remembered!

Last edited:
Port can pretty much get away with not having a clash jumper in the SANFL, mainly because there is enough white on their jumper, with the addition of white away shorts, to create a distinction, even against South Adelaide.

North have had a few "Clash" jumpers, one was an inverse of their home, one I think had the club logo on it.

Centrals was inverse of home, this year it's a red and blue one with the Holden lion.

South's is effectively Geelong but with less hoops, and with thicker hoops. Previously it was an inverse of their home.

Can't remember what the eagles had. Current home should be clash, their old jumper should be home.

I can't find any either...I THINK it was a white base, with the hoops going red-blue-white-red-blue-white-red IIRC (I doubt I recalled it correctly...)
I know, any google search of "Central Districts SANFL Clash Jumper", usually comes up with photos of their match vs Adelaide Reserves!!
The second one is what Andonis1997 described.
33wxy0m.png
centralspaintunfinished.png

Can't remember what the eagles had. Current home should be clash, their old jumper should be home.
s12jqg.png

There was this guernsey they were wearing for a bit (could not remember this one!)

EDIT: Probably because it looked like this and not the one above. And here's a majority yellow one?
MatthewStokes_WWWT.jpg
images

I reckon this above was an earlier season though. I think they changed their logo before the 'clash guernseys' rule was introduced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of the deal of giving up Thebarton Oval and having the merged club being mostly run by Woodville people in the early years as far as I know. They were required to keep the eagle identity and club song though. Torrens would have pulled the "we were here first" card on that one I'd imagine.

I'm an Eagles supporter. My grandfather played a few league games for West Torrens just before WWII. Most Torrens people weren't too fond of the merger back when it happened, but it was the best thing to happen to both clubs. WWTFC has missed the finals only four times since 1991, won three flags and played in a further five Grand Finals. It's a hell of a lot better than Woodville and West Torrens both probably going bankrupt and folding by now.

Last edited:
Part of the deal of giving up Thebarton Oval and having the merged club being mostly run by Woodville people in the early years as far as I know. They were required to keep the eagle identity and club song though. Torrens would have pulled the "we were here first" card on that one I'd imagine.

I'm an Eagles supporter. My grandfather played a few league games for West Torrens just before WWII. Most Torrens people weren't too fond of the merger back when it happened, but it was the best thing to happen to both clubs. WWTFC has missed the finals only four times since 1991, won three flags and played in a further five Grand Finals. It's a hell of a lot better than Woodville and West Torrens both probably going bankrupt and folding by now.
Fair enough. I thought they still played at Thebarton Oval?

The partnership started in 1984 when Western Underwriters (now QBE) put up a $100,000 dollar incentive for the struggling Lions to make the finals that year. Despite the club winning nine games, it failed to taste September action. The following season QBE upped the game, offering up $100,000 to make the finals and $200,000 to claim the flag. The club had won 1 premiership in the previous 60 years. It was a two year period never to be forgotten.

Subiaco coach Haydn Bunton guided the team all the way to 1985 Grand Final.

12 months on and the Lions went a step further, thrashing East Fremantle by 11 goals and claimed to $200,000
The deal acted as a launching pad for the Lions and remarkable era followed that turned the club into what it is today.

Since QBE came to the party the Lions have made the finals in 22 of the 29 seasons for 6 premierships and currently sit firmly in the top four.

In the last few years we've seen bright blue and maroon strip for 'QBE Day'.
This is a perfect, restrained representation that commemorates Subi as much as QBE.

It blends the 1984 full-stripes, maroon collar/cuffs and white front numbers - when the club rose from its knees - with the 2001 strip, and all that was the glory years.

Western Underwriters first appeared on the playing strip in 1987, before becoming Western QBE in 1997, and finally QBE Insurance from 2009.

An incredible partnership that not only helped saved the club but has laid foundation for success and prosperity at the modern day Lions.

Despite the promo pictures, my old man who is at the game says Subi are in traditional hooped socks. Another big tick.

In the last few years we've seen bright blue and maroon strip for 'QBE Day'.
This is a perfect, restrained representation that commemorates Subi as much as QBE.

It blends the 1984 full-stripes, maroon collar/cuffs and white front numbers - when the club rose from its knees - with the 2001 strip, and all that was the glory years.

Western Underwriters first appeared on the playing strip in 1987, before becoming Western QBE in 1997, and finally QBE Insurance from 2009.

An incredible partnership that not only helped saved the club but has laid foundation for success and prosperity at the modern day Lions.

Despite the promo pictures, my old man who is at the game says Subi are in traditional hooped socks. Another big tick.
I agree.It looks great on TV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back