State Leagues as AFL Summer Leagues?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
If the SANFL, WAFL and VFL (minus the AFL Reserves teams) ran from October to January, would you attend and/or watch on TV? Would you have a team that you support? Could these 2nd Tier Leagues, under the banner of AFL Summer League, have any commercial clout and add to the TV rights? Could it increase the average crowds with no competition from AFL or Community Footy? Could it be a stepping stone for future AFL Teams (such as Tasmania) or a fall back for clubs not up to AFL level.

Mainly twilight or night games at suburban ovals due to the heat and most likely shortened games. A 14 week home and away season with a top 4 and 3 weeks of finals, GF on Australia Day weekend and the AFL Draft immediately to follow - many of the top AFL Draft prospects playing the Summer Leagues.

A slightly shortened season for Community and Junior Football (late April-early September) to enable people to play/coach/volunteer/support both Summer League and their Community Clubs if they choose to. The SANFL Magarey Medalist, James Tsitas, has come off successive seasons of playing NTFL over the summer and SANFL over the winter. It changes the old model of a long pre-season and in to games. There's not many these days that combine playing State League football and another sport such as Cricket over summer, so in that respect, not a lot changes.

AFLW to kick off late January as usual, so there was AFL Football 12 months of the year.

Or is that too much footy?

Not sure about other leagues, but only three grounds are used for cricket in the SANFL. I can’t imagine it would take a lot to move the cricket out in SA.

Windy Hill is one of the venues used for Victorian Premier Cricket come finals time. Same with Arden St.

Box Hill, Williamstown, Werribee, Port Melbourne, Coburg, Sandringham, Frankston, Casey Fields all host Sub-District cricket.

Windy Hill is one of the venues used for Victorian Premier Cricket come finals time. Same with Arden St.

Box Hill, Williamstown, Werribee, Port Melbourne, Coburg, Sandringham, Frankston, Casey Fields all host Sub-District cricket.
I dont think cricket has been at Arden street for years.
I could never get too much footy but what do you propose dropped/young players do in season? Or are you wanting amateurs to play year round?

As if the state leagues (especially the VFA/L) haven't been faffed about with enough by the AFL.
Australian Football makes plenty of money. It doesn't need to be even more destructive to the second tier and below for the sake of even more money. So long as the sport is breaking even, the game should be prioritised above the money.

As if the state leagues (especially the VFA/L) haven't been faffed about with enough by the AFL.
Australian Football makes plenty of money. It doesn't need to be even more destructive to the second tier and below for the sake of even more money. So long as the sport is breaking even, the game should be prioritised above the money.
I completely agree. I’m coming at this from the point of view of retaining the State Leagues and it’s clubs as viable, strong leagues. I understand if there were around 4000 at every SANFL game, it would be about right to break even in costs for the pre-Covid Salary Cap and other expenses. Crowds are gradually dwindling and would be lucky to average 2000 during the season, despite the WAFL and SANFL still being able to attract 30-40k to their Grand Finals.

I am unsure what the situation is in VIC and WA, but most people in SA over 40 would still have a link to their original SANFL club in some way, together with an AFL club they most likely spend most of their time and money supporting. Hence the large crowds for Grand Finals.

I dont think cricket has been at Arden street for years.
I could never get too much footy but what do you propose dropped/young players do in season? Or are you wanting amateurs to play year round?

In my scenario, for both AFL during the winter and a State League during the summer, I would have smaller squads of say 32 on a main list and the rest of the players would be Under 21 to fill a Reserves comp/Futures league. Existing affiliations could remain.

With shorter seasons (maximum of 16 games), it would be feasible for a player outside the AFL to play State League and Community Football if they choose.

I would also provide an incentive of an AFL Grand Final Day curtain raiser to the two best U18 clubs in the country. Those would be the winner of a match up between the SANFL and WAFL premiers against the NAB U18 premiers (including the northern academy teams etc,).

I completely agree. I’m coming at this from the point of view of retaining the State Leagues and it’s clubs as viable, strong leagues. I understand if there were around 4000 at every SANFL game, it would be about right to break even in costs for the pre-Covid Salary Cap and other expenses. Crowds are gradually dwindling and would be lucky to average 2000 during the season, despite the WAFL and SANFL still being able to attract 30-40k to their Grand Finals.

I am unsure what the situation is in VIC and WA, but most people in SA over 40 would still have a link to their original SANFL club in some way, together with an AFL club they most likely spend most of their time and money supporting. Hence the large crowds for Grand Finals.

We don't even get particularly large crowds for the WAFL grand finals even with the new stadium, just shy of 30k this season was nice but that was the first time we've had over 26k since 2002, which was an East Perth-West Perth rivalry match. Compare this to an average GF crowd of 46k in the decade before West Coast came into the VFL/AFL...unfortunately the success of the eagles has meant many have completely ditched the WAFL and their teams, and younger West Australians aren't getting into the WAFL at all unless, like myself, their parents/grandparents are keen WAFL supporters, plus I'm sure other factors like very lacking competition parity (for the vast majority of my 15+ years watching the WAFL it's been Subiaco, Souths and Claremont up the top) haven't helped.

Average H&A attendance for 2021 was 1594 per match. Compared with 1663 in 2016, 2191 in 2011, 1922 in 2006, 1934 in 2001. Definitely dwindling! Compare this with a 7420 average in 1986 (followed by immediately almost halving to 4003 in 1987)...AFL has done enough to damage the WAFL without moving the season into the Summer.

I've always thought the NFTL (Northern Territory Football League) could be a great comp to pump up for the summer months.

Spend some dollars on the production side, commentators, current AFL players for guest boundary riders, get some recently retired AFL players to go up and play. Not saying bring in zooper goals but try and get the T20 type atmosphere happening.

It's only small, but AFL New Zealand plays its premier season in the summer, mostly to avoid rugby.

They have the best Kiwi players nominate for a national draft and split them into four Auckland-based teams.

Could make a handy summer addition for Kayo if they built it up a bit, added a fifth and sixth team from Wellington and Christchurch, maybe add some SANFL/WAFL players as marquees in the off-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Casey is a different oval for cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back