State of Disarray. A crap and false article i read in sundays paper. Absolute crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
State of Disarray was an article i read in the Sunday Times in which someone has decided to run through the computers a fantasy game between middle of the road Geelong and West Coast and Freo combined.

They believe according to there computers that Geelong would win the match 15.13.103 to 10.10.70!! Now i know West Coast arent the best this year and we all know how Freo are travelling but without a doubt if we took the best from both Freo and WC we would win.

The article said that "The process was not undertaken to humiliate the Eagles and Dockers, but to illustrate the plight of the two WA teams"

It also says "Injuries to key players of both sides have hampered the clubs from the outset this season, which made the task of picking a combined side extremely difficult"

There combined team was an absolute shocker with 12 Dockers to 10 Eagles. Heres the team Eagles and Dockers in bold Geelong normal.

FB: Peter Matera Ashley McIntosh Adam McPhee
FF: Ronnie Burns Ben Graham Adam Houlihan

HB: Matthew Carr Anthony Jones Micheal Collica
HF: Paul Chapman David Mensch Mitchell White

C: Heath Black Adrian Fletcher Richard Taylor
C: David Clarke Justin Murphy Peter Riccardi

HF: Paul Haselby Matthew Pavlich Daniel Kerr
HB: Darren Milburn Tom Harley Brad Scholl

FF: Phil Matera Troy Wilson Justin Longmuir
FB: Brenton Sanderson Tim McGrath Matthew Scarlett

Ruck: Micheal Gardiner Ben Cousins Peter Bell
Ruck: Steven King Glenn Kilpatrick David Spriggs

INT: Troy Cook Shaun McManus Chad Morrison Brendon Fewster
INT: Gary Hocking Clint Bizzell Cameron Ling Kent Kingsley

Now they say neither Modra or Cummings were considered due to poor form and injuries. I disagree, i think Cummings has played 6 games this year so thats more than half of the games and he is just now starting to get into some form. Any team would put Cummings before Wison.

No Wirrpunda!!! What the hell, sure he isnt on fire like he was early last year but you would never leave him out of the side and replace him with McPhee, more like McWho?? Wirrpunda oozes class and you never know when he is gonna cut you up, sure he is a little lose on his opponent but thats the price you pay for his run out of defence.

With that aside surely we would win. We would dominate the midfield with Haselby, Fletcher, Cook, Black, Kerr, Taylor, Bell and Cousins!!! Talk about a midfield!! We would get so much of the ball forward, Cummings and Modra aside, we would have to kick goals.

You have Longmuir also in a forward pocket who can go into the ruck to release Gardiner forward so surely Matera Gardy Wilson and Pavlich could get enough goals to win. Plus most of Freos goals come from running midfielders like Black Haselby Cook and Fletcher.

I think the article is a load of crap and it proves that computers arent always right. Because if the above teams did really take the field i think the West Coast Dockers would have a pretty comfortable win.

Thoughts??

Not a bad team at all, we would surely win with a line up of that quality. Strong Backline, Exceptional Midfield and a pretty class forward line with good spares on the bench. Agree with the Wirrapunda thing though. What a crap article

If you're silly enough to put any value in the contents of the Sunday Times' sports pages...well, you have only yourself to blame :) One thing that article seemed to completely forget is that football is not played by numbers, it is played by humans. Stats are, at best, a hint. But to suggest that you can predict football games like that is nothing short of a delusion.

(and any newspaper that would hire a moron like Brad Hardie to give "professional" opinions is clearly not worth the tree product it's printed on.)

So this is how the Sunday Times use the office computer these days? You know what they say about computers - garbage in, garbage out

Typical standard for a paper that gives a weekly column to Brad Hardie. But the West Australian is no better at all - you just have to remember all the "will they boo Malthouse?" tripe when Collingwood came to play West Coast. The West has neither forgiven nor forgotten Mick

That team is way off the mark, Troy Wilson at FF for gods sake!!! WTF is that! I'd put Pavlich or someone else there. The article looks total crap so I aint going to bother reading it if i do come across it.

Vis

Who would improve our squad?

I reckon the Eagles have a far more talented squad than Freo. The only additions to the Eagles squad would be Pavlich, Bell, Haselby, Waterhouse and maybe Carr. Five players out of 40. And that just about sums up why Freo are so woeful

I agree, the article is not worth the paper its printed on - probably printed to try and stir something up.

The quality of the article is confimed by putting McPhee in the team. He is a rookie freo player with bugger all games under his belt. He has played well so far so the stats when averaged over games played look good.

As a freo fan I put it to you eagle supporters that both teams are suffering from the same problem, unaccountable and committee driven management. Hopefully this poor patch will help bring some changes when the much anticipated Crawford Report is published.

Glad to see everybody else thinks its complete bull********. If i had to combine a team it would look like this with injuries aside.

FB Wirrpunda McIntosh Carr
HB Matera Jakovich Collica
C Kerr Haselby Fletcher
HF Williams Waterhouse Pavlich
FF Matera Cummings Black
R Gardiner Cousins Bell

Int Morrison Kemp Longmuir A.Jones

That team would finish top 4. Both the Eagles and the Dockers have some quality players in there first 10
WCE - Cousins Gardiner Wirrpunda Matera McIntosh Cummings Jakovich Phillip Matera Kerr Morrison.
Freo - Haselby Pavlich Bell Cook Fletcher Waterhouse Brown Modra Jones Black.

But after that it tails away to guys that wouldnt get a run at other clubs. Plus we both have pretty terrible coaches in Judge and Drum/Allan. If Wallace, Pagan, Malthouse or Sheedy coached us i think we would have won a few more than 2 out 22 games combined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back