Analysis State of Modern AFL Commentating

Who wins the brown microphone

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It appears the AFL Commentary landscape is a barren wasteland of talent devoid of any discernible quality, but loaded with boorish, puerile “personalities” armed only with their own oversized egos.

So who is it? who’s the worst? How do we fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's a comment on the standard that there was such discernable disappointment in Taylor's voice when Maynard took that ripping contested mark with thirty seconds left. Comical as he went from hyper-excited thinking it was a Melbourne mark to entirely underwhelmed. Unprofessional AF to ride one team but it seems to be the standard with a number of commentators.

The thing that’s really irking me is channel 7 commentary at the moment with BT/Darce constantly saying stuff like

“HE SAYS look at me I’m Dustin Martin”

“HE SAYS get out of my way”

“HE SAYS you can’t catch me”

“HE LOOKS AT HIM AND HE SAYS I’m better than you are”

Like honestly, what cheap lazy filler s**t is this? Describe the game, that’s all we want.

All I want is a bunch of ex-players who have inside connections in the network (and can't be fired) so easily get away with recycling the same jibes, buzz words and nicknames for years, while taking the piss out of each other, making mistakes, and generally being unprofessional. Basically, all I want is to feel like I'm back in High School with the boys half-arsing it and taking the piss. That's exactly what you get with Seven, and I love it (unironically), and so does half of the country - BT is the gold standard.

It's a comment on the standard that there was such discernable disappointment in Taylor's voice when Maynard took that ripping contested mark with thirty seconds left. Comical as he went from hyper-excited thinking it was a Melbourne mark to entirely underwhelmed. Unprofessional AF to ride one team but it seems to be the standard with a number of commentators.

I think it was more Melbourne had a chance to draw the game. I notice BT gets really excited for the team going forward, regardless. He has his faults but I feel he's actually one of the least biased commentators. He doesn't tend to speak from one team's POV.

BT is the worst. Gets names wrong, reads the play wrong and has massive tickets on himself.

i notice his latest one is "what a beautiful kick" as the ball sails through for a point or straight into the opposition's arms. Or a "what a clever kick" when a player is too scared to actually pick up the ball and soccers it and invariably it goes straight into the opposition's arms.

Jason Bennett and Adam Papalia are good, they want to talk about the game as opposed to how tall Nik Cox is or if he can or can't do "that"

Yep and I'm like a broken record on this but what's the first thing you notice?

They're not ex AFL players.

I also note that Papalia has a degree in broadcast journalism. Who would have thought that someone that had received actual formal training in the job they're meant to do is better than some bozo who's given the job because they have "connections"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was more Melbourne had a chance to draw the game. I notice BT gets really excited for the team going forward, regardless. He has his faults but I feel he's actually one of the least biased commentators. He doesn't tend to speak from one team's POV.
It’s irrelevant. It was probably the pinnacle moment of the game in that it was a game saving mark and he sounded flat as a tack. It wouldn’t happen if these blokes were actually professionals

I don't actually mind BT at all. Brayshaw is a compete w***er, and guys like Darcy, Hamish & Russell are all kinds of awful. I wouldn't mind Huddo getting more of a go on FTA games given the complete lack of options.

Bennett is a 'good' commentator but is more for the purists. What he says is good but his voice isn't particular engaging, especially for a casual audience.

I don't actually mind BT at all. Brayshaw is a compete w***er, and guys like Darcy, Hamish & Russell are all kinds of awful. I wouldn't mind Huddo getting more of a go on FTA games given the complete lack of options.

Bennett is a 'good' commentator but is more for the purists. What he says is good but his voice isn't particular engaging, especially for a casual audience.
Huddo is the only bearable one.
BT?
Come on, BT is a ego driven campaigner.

I think what happens is some commentators don't transition well from TV to Radio. You can get away with alot on bad player ID on radio, plus you sometimes need to add more excitement than the TV call.

It's not good now a days but I think people overate how good some of the older commentators were. I remember being frustrated by guys like McKenna, Morphett, Landy and Sandy Roberts. Even when you watch old games the player ID was poor. Ian Robertson was a good caller.

Huddo is the best commentator in the game right now. He's the only one who has the ability to produce iconic lines.

"I see it, but I don't believe it"
"Flashpoint. Stevie Motlop. What a time! He is floating on air now"
"Bontempelli. If that doesn't get you off the couch at home, nothing will"
"The Miracle on Grass"

And by iconic, I don't mean "wowee". Free to air would be so much better with him back on it

Last edited:
I swear to God I heard Dwayne use the term "NTTAWWTteenth" at the three quarter time in Norths game, which pretty much sums up the state of commentary.

Anyway I usually just put the TV on mute and read the bigfooty gameday thread out loud during the breaks, it's awesome everyone should try it :thumbsu:

I swear to God I heard Dwayne use the term "NTTAWWTteenth" at the three quarter time in Norths game, which pretty much sums up the state of commentary.

Anyway I usually just put the TV on mute and read the bigfooty gameday thread out loud during the breaks, it's awesome everyone should try it :thumbsu:
I’ve tried it, i like to hear the whistle, crowd etc. these muppets make it hard

The commentary combined with the inconsistent umpiring is why I’ve stopped watching neutral games on the weekend over the last month. I get more enjoyment out of state or local footy or doing something completely unrelated to sport. I can never get that waisted time back listening to that garbage that spews from their mouth so I don’t watch. So I just watch highlights during the week. I’m over the unprofessional setup of the AFL. It’s a shame as it is the greatest game on earth presented as a sideshow at a carnival.

Back