12. Felise Kaufusi
13. Josh McGuire

Interchange:
14. Michael Morgan
15. Josh Papalii
16. Coen Hess
17. Jai Arrow

Coach: Kevin Walters

Expected NSW team: James Tedesco, Tom Trbojevic, James Roberts, Latrell Mitchell, Josh Addo-Carr, James Maloney, Nathan Cleary, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Damien Cook, Paul Vaughan, Tyson Frizell, Boyd Cordner (c), Jake Trbojevic. Interchange: Tyrone Peachey, David Klemmer, Jack de Belin, Angus Crichton. Reserves: Nick Cotric, Tariq Sims, Ryan James.

Last edited:

Greenstar5

All Australian
Jun 21, 2017
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Like the team Freddy is putting together. Tom Turbo and the fox up against Australian wingers in Val and Dane. Mouth watering.

Surprised Queensland will go with Morgan on the bench, looks injuried and our of form. But we say this every year and they find a next level with the maroons jerseys on. Thought kevvie might go either DCE or Ponga as the utility.

Surprised Queensland will go with Morgan on the bench, looks injuried and our of form. But we say this every year and they find a next level with the maroons jerseys on. Thought kevvie might go either DCE or Ponga as the utility.

Ponga is a superstar in waiting but he's only young. Wait a year or so, Slater will be gone soon.

DCE is zero chance, he has had his chance. Morgan is a very good utility.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
In 2015 I had to get up for work at 6am the next morning and had a last row seat with an uncomfortable concrete wall right behind me at the top of the Southern Stand. Those things really diminished the fun. Fortunately this year I'm not working the next day and I'm like row EE on the ground level in the Ponsford Stand. Will be inebriated. And cheering against Paulineland.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Interesting articles on the expected crowd (both behind the pay wall) One by the apparently Rugby league friendly DT and the other by the AGE. One casting doom and gloom and the other saying sales of over 50k for GA.

Today.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting articles on the expected crowd (both behind the pay wall) One by the apparently Rugby league friendly DT and the other by the AGE. One casting doom and gloom and the other saying sales of over 50k for GA.

Today.

They aren't selling general admission.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
For the pedantic among us.

More than 50,000 general public tickets have been sold so far for the June 6 clash at the MCG, which does not take into account corporate boxes or the large MCC members area.

Link

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
I don't say it often but I like the NSW selections.

This could be their year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I always found the argument of the Queensland S.O.O team being full of players who aren't QLDers amusing and often find myself actually looking into player origin because of this. This is what I found this year.

1. Billy Slater - born in Nambour, QLD
2. Valentine Holmes - born in Townsville, QLD
3. Greg Inglis - born in Kempsey, NSW and raised in Bowraville/Macksville, NSW
4. Will Chambers - born in Brisbane, QLD
5. Dane Gagai - born in Mackay, QLD
6. Cameron Munster - born in Rockhampton, QLD
7. Ben Hunt - born in Dingo, QLD
8. Dylan Napa - born in Brisbane, QLD
9. Andrew McCullough - born in Dalby, QLD
10. Jarrod Wallace - born in Gold Coast, QLD
11. Gavin Cooper - born in Murgon, QLD
12. Felise Kaufusi - born in Auckland, NZ and raised in Bundaberg, QLD from age 7
13. Josh McGuire - born in Brisbane, QLD
14. Michael Morgan - born in Townsville, QLD
15. Josh Papalii - born in Auckland, NZ and raised in Woodridge, QLD from age 5
16. Coen Hess - born in Bundaberg, QLD
17. Jai Arrow - born in Fairfield, QLD

Straight off the bat, Inglis, Kaufusi and Papalii stand out as the three that weren't born in Queensland. However, I think most people would accept Kaufusi and Papalii as Queenslanders due to being raised in QLD from ages 5 and 7 respectively. Inglis is really the only one that stands out as an obvious exception who probably shouldn't be playing for QLD. Does anyone know the background of the NSW team and if there are any such exceptions on their side as well?

I always found the argument of the Queensland S.O.O team being full of players who aren't QLDers amusing and often find myself actually looking into player origin because of this. This is what I found this year.

1. Billy Slater - born in Nambour, QLD
2. Valentine Holmes - born in Townsville, QLD
3. Greg Inglis - born in Kempsey, NSW and raised in Bowraville/Macksville, NSW
4. Will Chambers - born in Brisbane, QLD
5. Dane Gagai - born in Mackay, QLD
6. Cameron Munster - born in Rockhampton, QLD
7. Ben Hunt - born in Dingo, QLD
8. Dylan Napa - born in Brisbane, QLD
9. Andrew McCullough - born in Dalby, QLD
10. Jarrod Wallace - born in Gold Coast, QLD
11. Gavin Cooper - born in Murgon, QLD
12. Felise Kaufusi - born in Auckland, NZ and raised in Bundaberg, QLD from age 7
13. Josh McGuire - born in Brisbane, QLD
14. Michael Morgan - born in Townsville, QLD
15. Josh Papalii - born in Auckland, NZ and raised in Woodridge, QLD from age 5
16. Coen Hess - born in Bundaberg, QLD
17. Jai Arrow - born in Fairfield, QLD

Straight off the bat, Inglis, Kaufusi and Papalii stand out as the three that weren't born in Queensland. However, I think most people would accept Kaufusi and Papalii as Queenslanders due to being raised in QLD from ages 5 and 7 respectively. Inglis is really the only one that stands out as an obvious exception who probably shouldn't be playing for QLD. Does anyone know the background of the NSW team and if there are any such exceptions on their side as well?

Quite a strawman argument considering literally no one has said anything about players borne out of state.

Where someone is born doesn't decide their state of origin anyway.

pro3

Draftee
Jun 5, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
State of Origin 2018 Game 1 Live (New South Wales vs Queensland)scores updates, results for Game 1
State of Origin 2018 Game 1 Live 2018 NRL State of Origin series in Melbourne starts at 8pm AEST. Follow live scores, match statistics and news from the MCG with The Courier-Mail’s shamelessly parochial blog.
Kevvie Walters’ team has been hit by an injury crisis on Origin Eve, but that has the underdog Maroons perfectly placed for a spirited showing in Melbourne. Queenslander!
Follow our rolling blog below from 6.30pm on Wednesday
GAME DETAILS
State of Origin 2018 Game 1 Live: Wednesday June 6, 8pm
MCG, Melbourne
Ladbrokes Origin odds:
NSW $1.45 Queensland $2.70
First try scorer: Josh Addo-Carr ($10), Tom Trbojevic ($11), Dane Gagai ($12), James Roberts ($12), James Tedesco ($12) Latrell Mitchell ($12), Valentine Holmes ($12)

Team line-ups and live game stats:
Follow our rolling blog below from 6.30pm on Wednesday
Originally published as Queenslander! Follow Maroons live blog
QUEENSLAND’S nightmare lead-in to Origin 1 at the MCG on Wednesday night has continued as the Maroons scramble to settle a line-up for the crucial opener.

“In my short time as a coach I’ve never experienced a week like we have this week,” coach Kevin Walters said.

Latest reports indicate:

DANE Gagai badly dislocated his finger at training on Tuesday morning and looked like he was in extreme doubt for the game. Thankfully for Walters he finally received some good news.

Gagai has been cleared of a break by Maroons medics and will now take his spot in the opening game of the series.

“Dane did say, ‘I won’t be missing this game regardless’, he will be playing,” Walters said.
“It was a compound discolation.”
Following the news of Gagai’s injury, the Maroons announced North Queensland’s Michael Morgan would start at fullback in place of Billy Slater.
“Michael Morgan will be fullback for us and Anthony Milford will go onto the bench,” Walters said.
BEN Hunt is also facing question marks over his availability. Fox Sports Australia reported the half was battling to prove his fitness for the game in the latest hit to Queensland’s spine. Hunt looked under duress as he took part in the Maroons’ Captain’s Run on Tuesday morning in Melbourne, Fox Sports Australia reports.
Morgan was initially named on the Maroons’ bench as a utility. Morgan is known as a half but switched to fullback for NRL club North Queensland this season in a bid to regain form after a stellar 2017.
Slater was present at the training session along with former skipper Cameron Smith.
Queensland begin a new era on Wednesday as they start life without retired greats Smith, Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk.
QUEENSLAND LINE-UP
14. Michael Morgan
2. Valentine Holmes
3. Greg Inglis
4. Will Chambers
5. Dane Gagai
6. Cameron Munster
7. Ben Hunt
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Dylan Napa
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Gavin Cooper
13. Josh McGuire
Interchange:
15. Coen Hess
16. Jai Arrow
17. Josh Papalii
19. Anthony Milford
— with AAP
But Seven News reporter Rohan Welsh tweeted: “Hunt looked to be moving fine on the limited time we were allowed in stadium. QLD adamant he’ll play.”

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Dont think Ponga will start/play.

Milford has been brought in.
Queensland's advantage was expereince and origin-nous, theyve lost a huge chunk of that with Slater, Smith, Cronk and Thurston not playing.

Hoping for a QLD win but if the attacking weapons of the Blues all click, they are gonna score a lot of points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back