State Of Origin On The Agenda Again?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's absolutely unworkable in the AFL, the NRL only have two states with that tradition. It works for them because you have fan empathy for their respective states. Dream teams and All stars do not work. It's a dead concept in a national Australian Football League. Forget it!

The idea that supporters would just accept their best players missing for a game or a number of games for the sake of bringing state of origin back is laughable.

The only time of year it could work is in the pre-season.
Supporters accept it in the NRL. It would be great to see. If Collingwood lost Pendlebury and Howe I would be happy to see them get the chance to represent their state

The idea that supporters would just accept their best players missing for a game or a number of games for the sake of bringing state of origin back is laughable.

It really is laughable seeing people whinge about the International Rules being an injury risk for players, and they’re probably in favour of a State of Origin return too.

You could have it like the intra league games in Victoria seed the states and then have one year seed 1 play seed 2, seed 3 play 4 and 5 play 6. Then the following year the winners out the losers out of 1v2 get the 3rd seeding the winner of 3v4 get the second seeding and the loser get the 5th and so on

Just have wa vs vic, not like anyone else can compete anyway.

Lets kill 2 birds with 1 stone and steal an concept from the MLB.

The winner of the State of Origin hosts the Grand final.

I would hope Rance does the team thing and slips over in the goal square with the game on the line.

Supporters accept it in the NRL.

The NRL had 4 games last weekend. They attracted a total crowd of 35k. Not each game, that was the total combined.
They barely give a s**t about their clubs when Origin isn't on, when it comes around they just lose interest completely. I don't think they can be used as some sort of indicator for how AFL fans would behave.

I used to really like SOO and wouldn't mind seeing it again.

But I wish that the lazy people in the media who bring it up would actually:

- Think about it critically.
- Come up with new ideas that might work.
- Present a plausible case for it.

Instead they just get their diary out at the start of the year and mark this time down as "don't have to do any homework this week, let's just make a half hearted mention of how SOO would be good to have again".

Every year they do it, and every year they add nothing to the conversation.

Wouldn't work during the season, the top clubs wouldn't want to release their players at risk injury and losing momentum. I mean, we could lose like 10 players to SoO given our big WA contingent. No thanks.

I'd love to see a fit and firing WA side take on Victoria, with the strength of the two teams it would be a sensational game. But it just won't happen sadly. No matter when you did it the players wouldn't go as hard as they would in a normal game.

Wouldn't work during the season, the top clubs wouldn't want to release their players at risk injury and losing momentum. I mean, we could lose like 10 players to SoO given our big WA contingent. No thanks.

I'd love to see a fit and firing WA side take on Victoria, with the strength of the two teams it would be a sensational game. But it just won't happen sadly. No matter when you did it the players wouldn't go as hard as they would in a normal game.
Could work in the week leading up to the GF.

4 teams.
Vic/Tas
QLD/ACT/NSW/NT (NEAFL contigent)
WA
SA

Tues through fri night - play a game a night.
GF team players are exempt (or can get call ups thurs/fri night games if not named in the teams or emergencies)
Prelim losing club players to be exempt from call up in the early games.

Any injury concerns are no worse than if you were competing late in the finals (i.e. ample recovery time).

and you play them in the lead up to the biggest game of the year.

If need be - a curtain raiser GF from the top 2 clubs over each game prior to the night GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm so we can tell Hogan to tank for WA and ensure the GF remains at the MCG. I like it.

Yep. Clubs hate the idea anyway...Just how much pressure do you think they'd put on out of state players to rest their niggling injuries? (and all clubs would do this).

On the flip side, it might encourage them to release the local guys to play.

Yep. Clubs hate the idea anyway...Just how much pressure do you think they'd put on out of state players to rest their niggling injuries? (and all clubs would do this).

On the flip side, it might encourage them to release the local guys to play.
i think if the players were as keen on it as they say, and you played it at a point in the season that didn't impact the season, they wouldn't deny the players the chance to be part of it.

its a shame we don't have it.

Yep only way it could work is in the pre-season which does actually make sense to bring it back in that time as you’d get the big crowds with good footy returning. Each club play 2 JLT games then just go into this as the last hit-out before the season starts. Just ban players from round 1 if guns want to be rested.

Mid season is just weird now for it now, I even think it’s strange in Rugby League how long the Origin series goes for as the clubs are forgotten about for 6 weeks then all of a sudden it’s back on again after Origin?

i think if the players were as keen on it as they say, and you played it at a point in the season that didn't impact the season, they wouldn't deny the players the chance to be part of it.

its a shame we don't have it.

At what point during the season could it be played that it wouldn't impact the season?

Players might talk about being interested/eager in theory, but put on the spot, it could easily be another story. The epidemic of 1 week injuries around SOO time back when they did have it, and the AFLPAs consistent push for byes/rest breaks more recently make that pretty clear.

Also, just like fans in threads like this, the interest by players will probably vary depending on who is playing...WA & SA will get up to play Vic, but when they have to play NSW....probably not so much. (and then there is the whole 'allies' thing.....players will want to play for their states, but the lower games (QLD, Tas, NT, ACT...) will still require the AFLs money/efforts/players, but wont exactly be huge ratings winners...)

It's catch-22 If SOO was a 'big deal', then layers might want to do it, but it wont be a big deal unless the players regularly want to do it...

State of origin won’t make a comeback. However it was great to watch the replays on Fox footy last night. Plugger dominating the ruck in the last quarter vs SA was surprising.

AFL is the only sport I can think of that does not have a match where the best of the best take the field as a team.

I mean I would love to see what our game looks like when every player in the team is a dead set A grader.

You're misleading. None of the players in the US All-Star games are putting in 100%. In the NFL's Pro Bowl it's become common for players to simply decline to play. It's nothing like the NRL's State of Origin. For players or fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back