State Of Origin On The Agenda Again?

Why?

One of the most famous SoO games was when Tassie beat the Vic's, they still talk about it 28 years later

SoO is about passion, you don't have passion for composite teans
Yep, seeing a standalone Queensland team pull off an upset against a star-studded vics would be better than any regular season win at club level

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To me personally doesn’t work. People want to mark Origin in their calender not just hope.

The Allies I know is strange team but are we just pretending that kids and players don’t play AFL in NT, Tasmania?
Being left out is far better than the Allies crap. I'd rather have my state out than merged into that s**t again.
The only good thing about the DreamTeam rubbish was that those in WA/SA finally got to understand why we hated the Allies so much.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Being left out is far better than the Allies crap. I'd rather have my state out than merged into that s**t again.
The only good thing about the DreamTeam rubbish was that those in WA/SA finally got to understand why we hated the Allies so much.

The Allies team was really competitive.
4 years of playing they managed 2-2 results.
Beating WA twice in Perth and losing to Vic twice in the 1/2 spot. The Allies concept only flaw is that it’s a mix of the Tier 2 states of Australia. But honestly we don’t want Tier 2 games for Origin seeing 10 AFL players for Qld playing along side 16 NEAFL players.

AFL will only accomodate 1 weekend for it, no trying to have a carnival or comp extending over 3-4 weeks. Preseason clubs want their players exposed to other teams and coaches want get good glimpses of their players and opposition so SOO doesn’t work and end of season coaches want their players in surgery and rested, only the occasional International Rules will be tolerable.

If State of Origin was only played annually between VIC & SA their wouldn’t be an issue. But what about WA, Tasmania, QLD, NT, NSW? The Allies and Dream Team sounds bad because the marketing team, promoters and designers did a crap job. Get creative people on board and see if they can create a concept and jumper that the Tier 2 states can get on board with.

What’s more entertaining to watch?
Tasmania vs Queensland or
All Star Tier 2 Team vs WA? To that point Under 18’s Team Allies beat WA this weekend, what does that tell you?

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Allies team was really competitive.
4 years of playing they managed 2-2 results.
Beating WA twice in Perth and losing to Vic twice in the 1/2 spot. The Allies concept only flaw is that it’s a mix of the Tier 2 states of Australia. But honestly we don’t want Tier 2 games for Origin seeing 10 AFL players for Qld playing along side 16 NEAFL players.

AFL will only accomodate 1 weekend for it, no trying to have a carnival or comp extending over 3-4 weeks. Preseason clubs want their players exposed to other teams and coaches want get good glimpses of their players and opposition so SOO doesn’t work and end of season coaches want their players in surgery and rested, only the occasional International Rules will be tolerable.

If State of Origin was only played annually between VIC & SA their wouldn’t be an issue. But what about WA, Tasmania, QLD, NT, NSW? The Allies and Dream Team sounds bad because the marketing team, promoters and designers did a crap job. Get creative people on board and see if they can create a concept and jumper that the Tier 2 states can get on board with.

What’s more entertaining to watch?
Tasmania vs Queensland or
All Star Tier 2 Team vs WA? To that point Under 18’s Team Allies beat WA this weekend, what does that tell you?
For me, I'd rather watch NT v Qld than Allies beating Vics. Been there, done that, did not give a * about Allies but Tasmania winning Origin games was the same as North winning finals.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
For me, I'd rather watch NT v Qld than Allies beating Vics. Been there, done that, did not give a **** about Allies but Tasmania winning Origin games was the same as North winning finals.

You sound like your older than me and have actually had the privilege of watching the games I mentioned live, so possibly can’t sense why no passion was put towards the Allies team. But I have tuned into NRL origin games and just the atmosphere watching it on TV is amazing and always ask myself why AFL cant replicate the same successful concept.

I would love see Charlie Curnow and few others run around Big V top, would love see Cripps play for WA team and see Brendan Bolton coach Tasmanian team in a good competition but seems only people interested in making it happen are the fans as the comp, teams, coaches & players aren’t interested.

Do you think AFL can make it happen for the fans or too many obstacles? Can we create something that can someday rival the NRL Origin which continues IMO to grow?

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The clubs are too powerful now, players often say they want it but once the novelty wore off the old pretend injuries and resting would come back. The clubs pay their wages after all. The only hope would be post-season in place of IR, but I don't think the clubs would even go for that and a lot of players have procedures done post-season to get over little injuries they carry all year.

Also too many (particularly but not only of the younger) fans aren't interested. A lot of people are only interested in club football.
Rugby League works partly because they don't care about alienating the other states, and partly because it has gone unbroken between two teams for so long. For Australian Football, giving New South Wales and Queensland a meaningful participation would be important to the AFL as they are much more interested in the "foreign" states.

Sadly, I think its done. I wish otherwise, but can't see a realistic way.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Once every 3 or 4 years as a carnival in October November.

Consider combining qld/Nt and tas/world for a 6 team competition, notwithstanding some of the opposition to that here....the lessor teams would be the quality of an average afl team, the best teams would see quality on the park that you’ll only see under this format

It doesn’t have to be as big as rl soo to justify it.

Not sure what the current figure is but in 2013 there were nearly 50 Queenslanders in the AFL, no NEAFL players.

Also I'd rather watch my state verse NT or get smashed by Vic/SA/WA than watch a competitive Allies. Queensland stand alone team in a maroon jumper or nothing

ERead

All Australian
Feb 28, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions

It had it's day and it was a lot of fun but club footy should always come first. BTW - I find it strange that SOO is so big in Rugby League. Where's the thrills of your team rising from the depths of despair, where's the rollercoaster ride of supporting your club through thick and thin, getting rewarded for turning up and watching all those horrible losses, etc? To me, it's like suddenly jumping on board a team when they make the Grand Final.

It comes out of a time when NSWRL was the premier competition and where the best QLD players played out of state.

No doubt there was lots of rivalry born out of playing down south but claiming to be a better caliber of player up north.

When the opportunity arose to prove it, QLD won the first game unexpectedly and NSW needed revenge. The rest was history.

That sort of history can’t be manufactured. I doubt it would start now in Rugby League, it’s from a different time.

The AFL is already (in a way) state vs state. So there’s no real reason for SOO. If the completion could truly nationalise, there would be even less reason.

At this point, only NT vs ... or TAS vs ... makes any sense, because they aren’t represented in the premier Aussie Rules league.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure what the current figure is but in 2013 there were nearly 50 Queenslanders in the AFL, no NEAFL players.

Also I'd rather watch my state verse NT or get smashed by Vic/SA/WA than watch a competitive Allies. Queensland stand alone team in a maroon jumper or nothing

Queensland would be able to put a full team on the park of AFL listed players. The problem is more so the NT and Tasmania....My understanding is the former has less than 20 players and the latter under 30

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
The NRL had 4 games last weekend. They attracted a total crowd of 35k. Not each game, that was the total combined.
They barely give a s**t about their clubs when Origin isn't on, when it comes around they just lose interest completely. I don't think they can be used as some sort of indicator for how AFL fans would behave.
Who cares about the crowd figures? They had byes as they always have their mid year byes around origin so the players are fresh.

Finally the NRL is still the highest rating TV sport in the country you can’t measure the fan interest by crowd size

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Queensland would be able to put a full team on the park of AFL listed players. The problem is more so the NT and Tasmania....My understanding is the former has less than 20 players and the latter under 30
There would be players in state leagues from those states, or even some of the top under 18s could fill the void.

It'll never happen but it's great to think about. Two options are the national carnival, two divisions, run over three to four weeks every four years or so, with promotion and relegation between the divisions. Or a straight knockout comp. Second option would struggle with ratings in the first week as Vic vs NT and SA vs Tas, for instance, are hardly blockbusters. But a carnival after the season would be great.

For me, I'd rather watch NT v Qld than Allies beating Vics. Been there, done that, did not give a **** about Allies but Tasmania winning Origin games was the same as North winning finals.

Understood, but the bigger it is, there are bigger problems with convincing players/clubs to be a part of it all.

2 games (4 teams, ~88 players) is a hell of a lot easier than for 4 games (8 teams, 176 players), both for the injury risks and money (sufficient player payments to get the best players in), especially as the later games are unlikely to make much money back either by gate or through TV ratings/money.

Doubling the various costs while adding little to nothing to the revenue isn't a huge selling point.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who cares about the crowd figures? They had byes as they always have their mid year byes around origin so the players are fresh.

Finally the NRL is still the highest rating TV sport in the country you can’t measure the fan interest by crowd size

It isn't. The only way the NRL gets close is through ignoring the fact the game goes for 2 hours compared to 3 hours and then aggregating the averages. There is a reason the AFL always gets more TV money despite the massive impact SOO must have on the TV rights value.

Hard to argue that SOO doesn't have any impact on the NRL season interest levels

Last edited:
May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was that the NSW team which had players born in WA & Victoria, & ACT in it? Ironmonger, Mitchel, Brett Allison that I noted

These Tas 1990 SOO team had one ring in I'm aware of, Brett Stephens. Hardly an AFL star
It was, officially, a NSW/ACT team.

And the Vic side Tassie beat had a fair few of those NSW players. Longmire, Allisson, Toohey. The rules until the early-mid 90s allowed a big three state - usually Victoria - to players from a second tier state. That is why the likes of Pritchard and Dunstall could play for Victoria.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
It was, officially, a NSW/ACT team.

And the Vic side Tassie beat had a fair few of those NSW players. Longmire, Allisson, Toohey. The rules until the early-mid 90s allowed a big three state - usually Victoria - to players from a second tier state. That is why the likes of Pritchard and Dunstall could play for Victoria.

I hate to contradict, but the very official team photo says 'NSW Australian Football League' Under that it says NSW v VFL.

Last edited:
Back