State of Origin Returning Next Year

Remove this Banner Ad

The players who dont want to play i hope are not penalised for not playing .Demetriou and co seem hell bent on having a comp.If the players are threatened or penalised for not playing i hope their union and club stands up for them.
I am not in favour of it if its during the year , only if its pre season and not compulsory for the players .

Don't get too excited everyone - this is just a one-off for the 150th anniversary of Australian Rules Football. It won't go any further.

A question though - Why is the AFL celebrating the 150th anniversary of Australian Rules Football? I thought it (and many of its foundation teams' supporters) didn't care about anything that wasn't part of the VFL/AFL est 1897?

Or does everything Victorian that preceded the VFL/AFL matter, but not anything anywhere else in Australia?

The Melbourne Football Club was founded in 1858. They are the oldest footy club in Australia so I think it is a good date for the celebrations

Don't get too excited everyone - this is just a one-off for the 150th anniversary of Australian Rules Football. It won't go any further.

A question though - Why is the AFL celebrating the 150th anniversary of Australian Rules Football? I thought it (and many of its foundation teams' supporters) didn't care about anything that wasn't part of the VFL/AFL est 1897?

Or does everything Victorian that preceded the VFL/AFL matter, but not anything anywhere else in Australia?
Why wouldn't the AFL celebrate the 150th anniversary of Australian Rules Football? Just because it started as a different competition doesn't mean they shouldn't celebrate the games creation... What do you mean we don't care about anything pre-VFL/AFL? Are you saying that we don't care about the first 50 years of our clubs history?

Last bit is rubbish, still angry about your prison bar jersey I guess.

State of Origin games are no longer a relevant concept, considering that we already have a legitimate national competition. Rugby League SOO was only TRULY popular before the legitimate establishment of Queensland sides. Everything else after that is simply riding the waves of their earlier success. It would come as little surprise if the ARL continue to flog it long after it is a dead horse.

I do, however, agree with the selection of a SOO merit team. It is a way of recognising footballers for excellent years.

Why re-introduce it if it will not be a long term prospect?

Has to include all states, otherwise it will crash and burn.

Make it a rolling system. 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7th team sits out.

Everybody gets a chance of being "Champions of Australia", no state misses out, and games are less likely to be a blowout.

Perfect.

Has to include all states, otherwise it will crash and burn.

Make it a rolling system. 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7th team sits out.

Everybody gets a chance of being "Champions of Australia", no state misses out, and games are less likely to be a blowout.

Perfect.
I'd rather have the ACT in there then have a team sit out. No doubt the league will squeeze as much money as they can out of this so they might have a team (who will lose every game anyway).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eighty six per cent of players want interstate football to be re-introduced, while 11 of the 16 clubs are also in favour.

Wonder who the 5 clubs who voted against were? If I was to have a guess I would say;

Brisbane and Sydney - knowing that the AFL will probably have some crappy Allies team which will do nothing for football in their states.

Adelaide and west coast - being virtual state representative teams anyway. west coast especially have shown they have no love for SOO (unless it means they get to wear the jumper).

With the 5th either being Port or Freo (knowing they will have to contribute a lot of players to their states team) or Collingwood (just to be difficult).

Finally something that the AFL has done right. It will be great to see the going ons as i haven't witnessed a state of origin game yet.

Should NSW. Qld and Tassie be allowed to bolster their team with players form Swans Lions Hawks overlooked by the 'big' states.

Given the way jeffry bangs on about tassie I cant see him objecting - it might bolster the crowds in those games too

Let's hope it's in the pre season, because if its mid season game their is no way it will be fair dinkum, clubs will protect their stars mid season, at least in pre season they will want match practice.

Exactly Mags, if it's mid season, then I would hope that none of the Bombers stars play. Stuff SOO, the premiership season is all that matters.

Why? I don't understand this line of thinking.

The pre-season competition isn't for the fans. It is a chance for coaches to trial their youngsters in a semi-competitive situation. It also allows the players to get some valuable match practice before the season-proper.

Replace the IR, but the Pre-season comp is there for a reason.

They can keep doing that, let the guns play in the SOO

When it comes to the crunch lets see how many players play and how many fans rock up.

By midseason selected players will be hanging for a week off. Cant see them committing to some wiz-pop disneyland game.

If it was as simple as one state v the other state it would work - NRL SOO is fairly clear cut.

AFL has 3 major states, 2 mid range (QLD, Tas) ans one minor (NSW) Its a good problem to have as it shows the game is doing well.

Its a shemozzle to make a series out of.

Someone suggested a 'rolling' finals type thir the stats seeded 1v2, 3v4 and 5v6, with the loser and winners to swap each year. theyd have to play a game each home and away for it to be 'fair'

You have no idea the depths to which Tassie footy has fallen.
I was surprised when this topic came up earlier, and a few people showed the possible teams.
Tas would probably lose to NSW, either as stand-alone or as NSW/ACT, certainly be flogged by Qld, and I'd be tipping NT as well.
Before seeing those lists I knew Tassie footy had fallen away terribly and wouldn't compete with Qld, but had NSW 8th (behind ACT).

That said, I'd be thrilled to see the map back out on the park in origin; instead of the travesty that is the devils wearing a modified map jumper. Clubs wearing state jumpers, especially clubs that should not exist, are a disgrace. The whole of the senior administration in Tassie should be sent to Gitmo.

Awesome news, although we've known it for some time ... it is good to get a formal confirmation.

What I want is details.

* Ever state should compete (NT to be included with QLD, ACT to be included with NSW) - Absolute NO to the ridiculous "Allies" concept. I lost all respect for both the concept and the AFL after that stupidity.

* When is it going to happen ? Pre-season.

* Where will the matches be held ? From what I hard from Demitrigoof all the matches would be at the MCG - that doesn't seem fair to just about every other state in the country. Too Melbourne-centric this AFL mob.

* Will a champion be decided ? (otherwise there is no point).

When I know all these things, I will have my ticket ready.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back