Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Heard Johnny Platten on the radio app today. Apart from uncomfortable childhood memories of the time we were kids and saw some bird giving him a gobby in the park and couldn't understand what or why, he also talked about an upcoming state of origin game for bushfire relief.

I thought 'awesome, that makes sense since both Vic and SA have been hit by bushfires'.

But later they said it would just be some "Vic v Allstars" wank again and held at 'Marvel stadium' no less. The AFL clearly has an anti-SOO mindset and even when the opportunity arises they need to water it down into a Greater Victoria v a bunch of people from other states at a second rate venue malarky.

Thought it initially sounded great when the Platypus was talking about it. Now couldn't be less interested.

I know some of you VFL purists are dead against state of origin. But when you look at rugby that's something they well and truly have over footy. And yes, on paper we might not have a supreme team atm, but perhaps it would be stronger if SOO wasn't deliberately sidelined by the VFL uber alles mentality for decades. Used to get 50k mid week and have games completely unpredictable on paper because their was a passion that now only the rugby states can muster while we whimper about potential injuries or other excuses why not to do it.

So let's hear the usual excuses why not to try, it's off season after all 🤣

Apart from uncomfortable childhood memories of the time we were kids and saw some bird giving him a gobby in the park and couldn't understand what or why

Not quite what I expected to read, but ok.

Have no interest in another Vic vs Allstars game - would rather a Slowdown over that.

They always say we won't be able to field a competitive SA team, but give it a few years when the likes of Luko, Rankine, Rozee, Hately and others from that promising crop are up and about and who knows.

I’m not interested in all stars, but I’ve been on the “sa would get flogged” bandwagon for some time. I hope it comes back just to highlight that elephant in the room.

It won’t though. Club footy is too important and the game is alot more lucrative than it was when origin died. Can’t see the best players playing it every year. Some already complain that the season is too long.

Who from our side would play SOO?

SA - Laird, Smith, Brown
NSW - Walker
Vic - Sloane

Crouch brothers probably don’t make Vic team.
Gibbs borderline SA due to poor SA depth. Same for Fogarty so early into his career.
Talia would go close to Vic side.

Annoucement at 12:00pm confirming the match.

I'm hoping it's not an 'All Stars' farce like 2008, but the fact that media is talking about the 'first SOO match since 1999' has me a tad optimistic that it will be true State of Origin, but then I can't see WA being too thrilled about missing out on a SOO match that's between Victoria and SA.

Couple of things, this isn’t a State of Origin game in the true sense. It’s to raise money for a worthy cause featuring the best players in the comp.

It will be the Vics against the All Stars, it’s the only way the whole comp can get behind it and be included.

If it was to be a true SOO match it could only be Vic v WA. That Vic midfield is unbelievable and the only team having a chance to compete would be WA and even then they’d be flogged.

Any suggestion of SA is absolutely laughable, it would give 119 a run. That’s the last thing this game needs.

Again the intention of it is to raise money by putting on a quality game featuring the best players in the comp where everyone is included.

Please keep sight of that before you whinge.

Couple of things, this isn’t a State of Origin game in the true sense. It’s to raise money for a worthy cause featuring the best players in the comp.

It will be the Vics against the All Stars, it’s the only way the whole comp can get behind it and be included.

If it was to be a true SOO match it could only be Vic v WA. That Vic midfield is unbelievable and the only team having a chance to compete would be WA and even then they’d be flogged.

Any suggestion of SA is absolutely laughable, it would give 119 a run. That’s the last thing this game needs.

Again the intention of it is to raise money by putting on a quality game featuring the best players in the comp where everyone is included.

Well said, the whole idea of this game is to raise money for the bushfire victims. Without playing a round robin style tournament (which none of the players or clubs would agree to) this is the only way it is viable. This will at least get the whole country interested and get as hopefully get as much exposure as possible.

The sad part of it is when you realize that we will be lucky to get any players in either team. Laird and Talia the only ones with a shot.

I just hate that the notion of 'All Stars', as it just further feeds and reinforces the notion of Victoria, and then everyone else. It's bullshit.

If they can't make true SOO work (I apprecaite the many factors at play that may drive that), then why not just do a full All-Stars game from across the competition. The best 44 players in the comp right now, split across 2 teams, and go at it.

They won't do it, because the Victorian football media and public won't like it - but evidently it's fine for the rest of the traditional footballing states like SA and WA.

I just hate that the notion of 'All Stars', as it just further feeds and reinforces the notion of Victoria, and then everyone else. It's bullshit.

If they can't make true SOO work (I apprecaite the many factors at play that may drive that), then why not just do a full All-Stars game from across the competition. The best 44 players in the comp right now, split across 2 teams, and go at it.

They won't do it, because the Victorian football media and public won't like it - but evidently it's fine for the rest of the traditional footballing states like SA and WA.
That would be another good option - do an 'East' vs 'West' game. Vic/NSW/QLD/Tas vs WA/SA/NT. The east team would be dominated by Vics but would still be a few allies in there.

Do we know where the money is going?

Quite a few of the fundraising appeals have been only for the NSW fires (some of my friends donated and then found out afterwards). Not that those ones aren't a worthy cause, but people thought they were donating towards the Cudlee Creek fire victims.

Do we know where the money is going?

Quite a few of the fundraising appeals have been only for the NSW fires (some of my friends donated and then found out afterwards). Not that those ones aren't a worthy cause, but people thought they were donating towards the Cudlee Creek fire victims.
1.5mill to the Red Cross, 1 million to a regional support fund.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope they raise tonnes of money, but I also hope our players aren't chosen.

It's not a real state of origin, it's more like an exhibition.

The cause is good, so hope it's financially successful, but wouldn't want our players injured as a result.

Would feel different if it was a real state of origin match.

For charity, great, will watch and likely enjoy it so no complaints about this match.

On this concept on State of Origin...

Well, this is not State Of Origin, let's not pretend it is, I could care less about teaming up with Queensland, NSW, WA, NT and Tasmania to beat the Victorians. I'd never be passionate about this team.

If we had 3 players in the Victorian team and none in the All Stars team, I think I'd finding myself going for the Vics and supporting our players.

That said, I don't really care about the State of Origin concept at all, I have no desire to sit alongside Port supporting mates cheering on SA players from clubs I don't like playing against Crows players from other states.

We've moved on from the State vs State rivalries haven't we? Maybe it's because I just don't see one we'd win any time soon.

what a joke calling this match 'State of Origin'

If they called it a charity exhibition match, then Victoria v All Stars doesn't bother me

Calling Victoria v All Stars 'State of Origin' is more disrespectful to the concept of state footy than when the Crows tried to wear the state jumper against Port

Good idea, wrong execution

I think people should focus on the cause for the game instead of the name being applied. Also, it might be externally a State of Origin theme, but the charity match would probably have the game mentality of an AFLX game (ie. players won’t take it full on serious leading towards the main season).

As a cause, I’m all for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back