State of Origin

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah in theory I would prefer this in a way, but the aim for SA, WA, NSW and QLD is to kick a Vic.
NSW and Qld at this stage would need to combine to kick a Vic. Tasy is too small a population to have a stand alone team.
I thought it was 1990, and only a VicB team - which included New South Welshmen, some of whom also beat Victoria.

At least with IR both sides clearly are representing something meaningful. In the case of IR, their countries.
It is not our sport. Australian rules football at highest standard it can be played and been meaningful is representative football like state v state. Nothing can replace state of origin football. Club football is a lower level of our sport. It is so stupid the highest level has been allowed to be neglected for the sport itself.

It was for a great cause but as a south australian I had zero emotional investment in the game and unfortunately turned it off at half time

It was for a great cause but as a south australian I had zero emotional investment in the game and unfortunately turned it off at half time
I can understand that for a South Aussie. If your own team had played you would have had emotional investment and smashed your tv off at half time instead with being ten goals down.

Ok, but there's nothing for the other states to get invested in. If the AFL wants to make sate of origin WA vs Vic then it's going to fail as there's no reason for SA, QLD, NSW or Tas to care about the game.

The talent of each state is just 1 problem for the concept
Not at all. I grew up watching the ACT team play NSW, Tassie, Qld, Nt. We may not have always come out on top, but we were competitive and we loved it. If anything the second tier of states has more reason for SOO than the Vics, there's something to gain.

Origin diminishes the NRL's weekly audience. The AFL has always had a bigger audience and more revenue, in part because the clubs are the pinnacle.

Can you supoprt this?

I am fairly sure the NRL gets higher tv numbers over a season? Revenue is also very similar and NRL woujld have lower expenses s is arhuably more profitable.

The 2019 NRL Season rated 88.201 million viewers at an average viewership of 459,000 per game, with an almost even split between free to air viewers on Nine and GEM, as well as Fox League

Excellent that it was for the Bushfire appeal. Outside of that, it was a bit ho-hum.

SOO is dead because the coaches don't want it. There's much to lose and not much to gain from a club perspective. Injuries to 'stars' for a game that won't help you win 4 points would be intolerable.

The Good: The Bushfire Appeal
The Bad: Martin BOG?
The Ugly: Anyone who watched Tom Papley kicking goals from all angles and was part of the 2019 trade period at Carlton would be a tad embarrassed about now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh it was a game that should have been appreciated as just a game with no strings attached.
Players were always going to be a little bit easier on their limbs and joints etc...
It was not going to appeal to all those who had none of their favourite players to support.. big or small..
But it stuck in the memory of all those who wanted to do something for someone in dire straits.

Can you supoprt this?

I am fairly sure the NRL gets higher tv numbers over a season? Revenue is also very similar and NRL woujld have lower expenses s is arhuably more profitable.

The AFL always gets higher tv monies and that includes with state of origin. The games overall revenues would be close to double the NRL's (ie including club football revenues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back