State of Origin

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can only work with the footy states behind it. NO ALLIES, NO ALL STARS. AFL football is now a national competition and it would have to reduce its season to schedule it without the old mysterious hamstring soreness prevenitng players from participating. You can only have VIC, SA and WA are involved. If you don't have the Croweaters and Sandgropers hating us Vics then it won't ever work. This is all nonsense talk, we already have a national competition, if people are happy to go to a 17 round season then fine, becasue that's what it will take, nobody will be satisfied with just one game, they will want three! State of Origin belongs to the NRL now, it's all the NRL have goiing for it and it belongs because they have just NSW v QLD and to those states victory in State of Origin is more important than the season Grand Final.

Then why would the NSW and Qld clubs be happy about sending players for a competition that doesn’t feel the need to represent their states?
As you said it’s a national comp.

If all states aren’t involved then it shouldn’t happen.

I was there that day when Andrew Collins who was playing for Victoria tackled Tony Hall who was representing South Australia in the 'mud bath' at the MCG in 1989. The big problem that both Collins and Hall were Hawthorn teammates, and the Hawks at the time were going for back-to-back premierships for the first time in their history. You can imagine what was going through the late Allan Jeans's mind when he saw the incident happen, and Jeans was coach of Hawthorn at the time.
Not heard of Hall complaining.

I was there that day when Andrew Collins who was playing for Victoria tackled Tony Hall who was representing South Australia in the 'mud bath' at the MCG in 1989. The big problem that both Collins and Hall were Hawthorn teammates, and the Hawks at the time were going for back-to-back premierships for the first time in their history. You can imagine what was going through the late Allan Jeans's mind when he saw the incident happen, and Jeans was coach of Hawthorn at the time.

Well he wouldnt have really cared that much if he wasnt coaching the hawks at the time

The problem is it's basically Victoria vs the rest or Vic vs a state that will get smashed, neither of which work.

No one from QLD or SA says "I'd love to play for the allies one day.." But for Victorians playing for Victoria does mean something. There's no passion in it for the rest. You could get some passion into teams if SA represent SA, as there is a history and tradition in that, but then you fall into the problem of Vic being better than everyone making the games boring.

I think we need to accept that State of Origin is a dead concept in the AFL unless some of the other states talent can match Vic head to head, and not a combined team of all states bar 1.

This wouldn't be a topic of conversation if the NRL wasn't doing it so successfully. Unfortunately they win this one. We shouldn't feel too bad though, we win just about everything else vs league.

Have you seen the WA Team? No one is smashing Fyfe, Cripps, Mitchell, Coniglio, Kelly, Duncan, Yeo and Nic Nat in the midfield. If anything, they'd beat the Vics.

Last edited:
Not heard of Hall complaining.
No he never did despite rupturing his PCL, LCL and ACL and needing a 16 month recovery period he manged
to play in Hawthorn's 1991 flag team. Andy Collins was with him in the hospital the night it happened and
was very upset, but Hall took it as a freak accident not helped by the poor ground conditions at the time of
the game.

Have you seen the WA Team? No one is smashing Fyfe, Cripps, Mitchell, Coniglio, Kelly, Duncan, Yeo and Nic Nat in the midfield. If anything, they'd beat the Vics.
Ok, but there's nothing for the other states to get invested in. If the AFL wants to make sate of origin WA vs Vic then it's going to fail as there's no reason for SA, QLD, NSW or Tas to care about the game.

The talent of each state is just 1 problem for the concept

Ok, but there's nothing for the other states to get invested in. If the AFL wants to make sate of origin WA vs Vic then it's going to fail as there's no reason for SA, QLD, NSW or Tas to care about the game.

By trying to appeal to everyone, they will end up only appealing to the Vics. Should have been 2 games with shortened halfs. SA v NSW/QLD and WA v Vic (total time for both game being the length of 1 game) that is better for the players too because they wont have to be at 100% preseason fitness yet and will also mean less risks for injuries. Yeah, the tasmanians miss out, but surely they are just used to that by now?

Everyone wins. Every fan would have gotten into that. Yeah, I get it's for a good cause, but surely we can have our cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

Very unusual for the SA squad not being competitive, just an example of the ebb & flow.

As we 'dum down' the talent pool seeing the best of the best will remain a NRL cash cow.

Imagine Cripps playing alongside Fyfe & Yeo, it'd be old school days ..

By trying to appeal to everyone, they will end up only appealing to the Vics. Should have been 2 games with shortened halfs. SA v NSW/QLD and WA v Vic (total time for both game being the length of 1 game) that is better for the players too because they wont have to be at 100% preseason fitness yet and will also mean less risks for injuries. Yeah, the tasmanians miss out, but surely they are just used to that by now?

Everyone wins. Every fan would have gotten into that. Yeah, I get it's for a good cause, but surely we can have our cake and eat it too.
I think a round robin/carnival type thing has some merit, but I don't think it's a realistic option unfortunately.

Thats not going to happen though - watch the NBA all star game as a n example of what it will be like
If you watched the last quarter of today’s All Star Game, you’ll know that this hasn’t aged well lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn > Nic Nat
Martin > Fyfe
Dangerfield > Cripps
Bontempelli > T. Kelly
Pendlebury > Coniglio
Macrae > Yeo
Oliver > T. Mitchell
J. Kelly > Hill
De Goey > Walters
Shuey > Duncan

Try again sweetie.

Gawn > Nic Nat
Martin > Fyfe
Dangerfield > Cripps
Bontempelli > T. Kelly
Pendlebury > Coniglio
Macrae > Yeo
Oliver > T. Mitchell
J. Kelly > Hill
De Goey > Walters
Shuey > Duncan

Try again sweetie.

Oh look, it's this troll again. Haven't you been banned yet?

Your logic is as flawed as your footy knowledge. You have just picked a player and then compared them to whatever player suits your argument. It's pathetic. I.e:

Cripps > Dangerfield
Fyfe > Macrae
Kelly > Oliver
Mcgovern > Blicavs
Hooker > Siciliy
Yeo > Treloar
Mitchell > Shuey
Coniglio > Sidebottom

See how that works?

Jog on, flog.

Your logic is as flawed as your footy knowledge. You have just picked a player and then compared them to whatever player suits your argument. It's pathetic. I.e:

Cripps > Dangerfield
Fyfe > Macrae
Kelly > Oliver
Mcgovern > Blicavs
Hooker > Siciliy
Yeo > Treloar
Mitchell > Shuey
Coniglio > Sidebottom

See how that works?

Jog on, sweetie.
When the top players are stacked with elite talent it's much of a muchness. It's the bottom 6 where VIC have the clear advantage. There are WA players there that don't get close to VICs 22.

Cripps > Dangerfield
Fyfe > Macrae
Kelly > Oliver
Mcgovern > Blicavs
Hooker > Siciliy
Yeo > Treloar
Mitchell > Shuey
Coniglio > Sidebottom

See how that works?

Jog on, flog.
You haven’t included all of our best players though, whereas I included yours then provided a player who Victoria has that is superior. Bit different to what you’ve done.

The problem for the AFL (good lad that Leon) is every year 3 out of the top 5 sports broadcasts are Origin, NRL, & that is lost $s in the $media money creamed off by other mob.
Leon got it right, the AFL over saw its own demise.

Origin diminishes the NRL's weekly audience. The AFL has always had a bigger audience and more revenue, in part because the clubs are the pinnacle.

Origin diminishes the NRL's weekly audience. The AFL has always had a bigger audience and more revenue, in part because the clubs are the pinnacle.

What has that got to do with the top end TV audiences that draw the premium dollars for TV companies that are in it for a $+.
3 of the top 5 are always Origin, that is my point.
Gil would love to dominate that space as AFL does most metrics.

What has that got to do with the top end TV audiences that draw the premium dollars for TV companies that are in it for a $+.
3 of the top 5 are always Origin, that is my point.
Gil would love to dominate that space as AFL does most metrics.

The AFL gets more broadcast revenue by a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back