do A draw

1. Victoria
2. West Australia
3. South Australia
4. Queensland
5. Tasmania
6. New South Wales
7. Northern Territory
8. Act ( maybe make them the allies and let them have International players)

Whoever is drawn first gets home field advantage

So here’s what I just got

1. Act
2. Tasmania
Manuka oval

3. South Australia
4. Northern Territory
Adelaide oval

5. Queensland
6. Victoria
Gabba

7. New South Wales
8. Western Australia
Scg

2, 3, 6, 8 win

2. Tasmania
3. South Australia
Bellrieve oval

6. Victoria
7. Western Australia
Mcg

3, 6 win

3. South Australia
6. Victoria
Adelaide oval

There will be blowouts
But I think a cup could allow the opportunity for upsets and be fun if it’s random and mixed up
And no one misses out.
There is no three weekends to do it unless you totally do away with March club series in pre-season. Logistically does not fit into the football calendar so bin it.

Nah, it is a one weekend thing to do every pre-season and you have a first division for State Championship title of Australia and below that the 3rd and 4th states play in second division with the winner advancing to top division the next pre-season for crack at the Champion State title.
Tas and Queensland play in lower divisions with ability to keep rising each pre-season if they can develop.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
The problem is the players don’t care.

That’s the difference between NRL and any possible AFL SOO.

The players don’t care about playing in it and they don’t care about winning it.

If they did, you’d get a decent game and the crowds would come etc.

This for me too.

I used to love SOO back in the 80’s and early 90’s, it was good fun, but gradually everyone - fans, coaches, players - became indifferent to it and were more concerned about players getting injured playing SOO and missing regular season matches.

Im happy for the SOO game for bushfire relief to take place, but aside from that, sorry, SOO can remain history.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
The jungle drums are beating for it's return in some format.

Hopefully the TV audience reflects this and really gives commercial backing to the concept in some format, as long as it's true SOO.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
The problem is it's basically Victoria vs the rest or Vic vs a state that will get smashed, neither of which work.

No one from QLD or SA says "I'd love to play for the allies one day.." But for Victorians playing for Victoria does mean something. There's no passion in it for the rest. You could get some passion into teams if SA represent SA, as there is a history and tradition in that, but then you fall into the problem of Vic being better than everyone making the games boring.

I think we need to accept that State of Origin is a dead concept in the AFL unless some of the other states talent can match Vic head to head, and not a combined team of all states bar 1.

This wouldn't be a topic of conversation if the NRL wasn't doing it so successfully. Unfortunately they win this one. We shouldn't feel too bad though, we win just about everything else vs league.
I don't think it's about winning is it? Or competing with the NRL? For me it's about seeing the best players in a side together representing their state. Why can't it work? Maybe have a tournament over 4 years? Each state playing each other once, then on the 4th year have the GF. I'm sure there are a number of ways it could work. If the players are on board, and the support is there, then why can't it work? Just before the season starts is a perfect time too. Crickets finished, AFLW is starting and most fans are super keen to watch some footy. Players should be fit, skills maybe a little rusty, but i think it's a perfect time for it.

I agree the Allies is a dumb concept. Works for a one off game, but you'd have to have each state a part of it in some way or have them play off to be a part of it.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
SOO stopped working because the people running the sport stopped getting behind it and let the coaches decide things.
If the AFL said there is one SOO game on yearly and said it’s the premier event on the footy calendar, told the clubs and coaches there will be huge fines for not backing it in and put their mighty media machine to work then it could well and truly be what it should be.
NRL don’t have all states compete and neither should AFL, it’s simply WA, Vic and SA playing it yearly. Winner plays and hosts the following year.
it is the AFL that has not backed it in that caused us to get to this point, never ever listen to coaches as they have only self interest at heart.

hutstar

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2003
St Petersburg FL
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
SOO stopped working because the people running the sport stopped getting behind it and let the coaches decide things.
If the AFL said there is one SOO game on yearly and said it’s the premier event on the footy calendar, told the clubs and coaches there will be huge fines for not backing it in and put their mighty media machine to work then it could well and truly be what it should be.
NRL don’t have all states compete and neither should AFL, it’s simply WA, Vic and SA playing it yearly. Winner plays and hosts the following year.
it is the AFL that has not backed it in that caused us to get to this point, never ever listen to coaches as they have only self interest at heart.
There's no reason not to have a second tier, like the old days. As a kid watching the ACT play NSW, QLD, Tassie and NT was great. It would still get well supported if league players were playing.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
So who is going to win this all star game?
Big V but I do worry a Crippa and Fyfe double act doing something special.
It should be an even clash because Victoria produces just over half the of players in AFL and the rest the other half.
Us losing Robbie Gray and your motley crew gaining Eddie Betts gives All Stars elite small forwards the edge.
Charlie Cameron and Eddie love working together. In fact I think I change my tip to All Stars on that basis.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Big V but I do worry a Crippa and Fyfe double act doing something special.
It should be an even clash because Victoria produces just over half the of players in AFL and the rest the other half.
Us losing Robbie Gray and your motley crew gaining Eddie Betts gives All Stars elite small forwards the edge.
Charlie Cameron and Eddie love working together. In fact I think I change my tip to All Stars on that basis.
So the carlton players will be the difference? Please.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
So the carlton players will be the difference? Please.
They are All Stars players. Get over your small minded fixation of club football for this game and just watch elite players play football at a higher level than club football. Been too long without something of higher standard than club football.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
They are All Stars players. Get over your small minded fixation of club football for this game and just watch elite players play football at a higher level than club football. Been too long without something of higher standard than club football.
Fixation? You are the one fixated on the belief the carlton players will make all the difference.. boy oh boy. Eddie will do well to try and get a kick given his most recent form.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Fixation? You are the one fixated on the belief the carlton players will make all the difference.. boy oh boy. Eddie will do well to try and get a kick given his most recent form.
Your perception projected onto my post is not my fixation...it is your fixation in your imagination at play there. I just posted about the game and your ranting about some weird ass angle not even there in my post. See a doctor today or increase the dosage you are on already.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Your perception projected onto my post is not my fixation...it is your fixation in your imagination at play there. I just posted about the game and your ranting about some weird ass angle not even there in my post. See a doctor today or increase the dosage you are on already.

You posted about the game referencing carlton players as is they will he the difference... surprise.. u barrack for carlton!

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

If they bring SoO back they need to have NSW and QLD teams precisely as a point of different with the RL. The AFL draws considerable talent from all over Australia and every mainland state can put a full team of AFL players on the park.

It is almost the best reason from a strategic view point to bring back SoO. So that people and NSW and QLD can see elite teams running around in blue and maroon.

Also, the one game a year is not going to work. The best approach is do it every 2 to 4 years and have squads train together for a couple of weeks ahead of tournaments and do it after the AFL season. Pay the players well so you get full buy in

A big reason SoO fell away is because the game went professional. It was never going to survive as mid season standalone games. The AFL getting belligerent isn't going to change that

rmcq

????????????
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
frankly I just don’t think state vs state rivalry holds the same sort of passion as 30 years ago. NRL works because it’s just 2 arbitrary teams of the best players. It also works because the players get paid $50,000 per game.

This Vic vs the rest is as good a concept as any, as long as both teams are competitive.

Only other thing that might work is Vic, SA, WA, others. Play 2 games on the same weekend each year and after 3 years anoint a winner by games won & percentage. Allies concept is good enough for the other team, and if they get dominant, then split them up.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Any State of Origin series must have Victoria . The only way they can do it is to have two ganes each year Victoria v SA and Victoria v WA, at the very least Vic v SA and WA alternating yearly. But to do that they must reduce the season to 20 rounds...All non eligible payers simply miss out We already have a Nationl Compeition so i don't see Gil adding this to the fixture any time soon...

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Bemusing that so many people think SA would be anything like competitive with Vic and WA under a 3 state system. I can only assume people are thinking with nostalgia by including them.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Carnt farkn weight bwing da biff bak! Orl Starz wil smash da Viks eezi. Gunna smash r fu tins n wotch dis gayme. Sik az.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back