List Mgmt. State of the list

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn’t just the camp, have a look at the top 10 from our 2017 B&F and how many were injured or mismanaged in 18.

All new players are an unknown, for every Grigg or Summerton there’s a Ryan, Rioli, Collins, Burgess, Fritsch, Menongola.

Yeah West Coast did very well, lucky for them they’ve haven’t had the same issues we have because they are well run.

pretty sure Sloane was the only one to miss a significant number of games out of the top 10

Im not saying Mcadam wont get some traction, but he is unlikely to be a world beater, I could be wrong but most SANFL WAFL or VFL players are there because they dont quite have it, a few occassionaly make it but the are hundreds of players playing in those leagues who just dont have it

Last year saw our guns fail, this year is the same agian lets not kid ourselves about some camp or a heap of injiuries

I am happy to play the kids, some will succeed, some will be servicable and some will fail, we will cop pain from it, but it needs to be discovered, another year out of the finals isnt the end of the world, but the club want to be competitive, thats the problem they will play AFL capable players who offer no future like your mate Mackay, and will make the finals becauue they arent terrible players, and have output where if you play Hunter, McHenry, Jones, Davis, Fog you may get inconsistency with good and bad games and it will cost us as they will have less output , but at least we will know if they have anything to offeer long term

Bite the bullet I say

There seems to be a disconnect between the blokes that draft and the blokes that pick the team.
Also between the blokes who give out best and fairest votes and the blokes who pick the team

There seems to be a disconnect between the blokes that draft and the blokes that pick the team.
What's even more bizarre is we know Pyke specifically wanted a player like Gallucci at the draft, then proceeds not to play him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is reasonable logic until you assess the B&F voting against selection

B and F voting means nothing

If the coach believes a player has what it takes to improve his team he will be in, remember Pyke sees all his players play every week regardless of A s or B s, and watches them train everyday

Its his call, after all his arse is on the line, if he truly believes something he will do it

Which is reasonable logic until you assess the B&F voting against selection

It's pretty interesting to build a best 22 based on 2018 B&F voting

B Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB Smith - Keath - Laird
C Milera - Sloane - Gibbs
HF Lynch - Jenkins - Douglas
F Greenwood - Himmelberg - Betts
R O'Brien - M. Crouch - B. Crouch

I Atkins - Seedsman - Ellis-Yolmen - Knight

Note that Taylor Walker isn't in our top 22 players, and I considered positions to ensure every place was filled. Otten, while ranking highly, was not considered in the initial round due to his near-identical polling to Doedee. O'Brien and B. Crouch didn't play in 2018 but their last respective seasons at AFL level saw them poll higher than others in their positions.

From here we do have to make four injury changes for Douglas, Seedsman, Brown, and Doedee

The next players in should be Jones (assuming we rate him highly) for Seedsman, Gallucci for Douglas, Mackay for Brown, and Otten for Doedee.

Players in the best 22 who would be most under fire for their position should be, going on the voting, Betts, CEY, Knight and Himmelberg, with Greenwood, Atkins, Lynch and Douglas in that next tier. Players who shouldn't even be considered are Kelly, Hartigan and Murphy.

I mean doesn't this sound reasonably close to what a lot of us are saying here?

Last edited:
It's pretty interesting to build a best 22 based on 2018 B&F voting

B Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB Smith - Keath - Laird
C Milera - Sloane - Gibbs
HF Lynch - Jenkins - Douglas
F Greenwood - Himmelberg - Betts
R Jacobs - M. Crouch - B. Crouch

I Atkins - Seedsman - Ellis-Yolmen - Knight

Note that Taylor Walker isn't in our top 22 players, and I considered positions to ensure every place was filled. Otten, while ranking highly, was not considered in the initial round due to his near-identical polling to Doedee.

From here we do have to make five injury changes for Douglas, Seedsman, Brown, Doedee and Jacobs.

The next players in should be Jones (assuming we rate him highly) for Douglas, Gallucci for Seedsman, Mackay for Brown, Otten for Doedee and O'Brien for Jacobs.

Players in the best 22 who would be most under fire for their position should be, going on the voting, Betts, CEY, Jacobs, Knight and Himmelberg, with Greenwood, Atkins, Lynch and Douglas in that next tier. Players who shouldn't even be considered are Kelly, Hartigan and Murphy.

I mean doesn't this sound reasonably close to what a lot of us are saying here?

To bad its up to the guy who has his arse in the sling, to choose the team, not on what everyone else thinks

And rightly so, as he is the one who will lose his job

pretty sure Sloane was the only one to miss a significant number of games out of the top 10

Im not saying Mcadam wont get some traction, but he is unlikely to be a world beater, I could be wrong but most SANFL WAFL or VFL players are there because they dont quite have it, a few occassionaly make it but the are hundreds of players playing in those leagues who just dont have it

Last year saw our guns fail, this year is the same agian lets not kid ourselves about some camp or a heap of injiuries

I am happy to play the kids, some will succeed, some will be servicable and some will fail, we will cop pain from it, but it needs to be discovered, another year out of the finals isnt the end of the world, but the club want to be competitive, thats the problem they will play AFL capable players who offer no future like your mate Mackay, and will make the finals becauue they arent terrible players, and have output where if you play Hunter, McHenry, Jones, Davis, Fog you may get inconsistency with good and bad games and it will cost us as they will have less output , but at least we will know if they have anything to offeer long term

Bite the bullet I say
Tex missed a chunk and when he did play he was severally underdone not having had a preseason.

Tex missed a chunk and when he did play he was severally underdone not having had a preseason.

He played because he put his hand up and said Im ready, he missed 9 games and played crap in the others no different to this year

Like I said the guns failed as they did in the GF, unfortunate, but it is what it is

The older they get the more likely is they will fail

May aswell cop some pain and see if the next batch has what it takes as no one has any idea including Mcadam if they are any good

But you cant whinge when we fail to make the finals by playing youth

The biggest problem is Pyke would rather be competitive than bottom out

He played because he put his hand up and said Im ready, he missed 9 games and played crap in the others no different to this year

Like I said the guns failed as they did in the GF, unfortunate, but it is what it is

The older they get the more likely is they will fail

May aswell cop some pain and see if the next batch has what it takes as no one has any idea including Mcadam if they are any good

But you cant whinge when we fail to make the finals by playing youth

The biggest problem is Pyke would rather be competitive than bottom out
A minute ago you said only Sloane missed and now it’s Tex missing 9 games.

Yes he played, when he was clearly underdone and this supports my point that our preseason was mismanaged and
our fitness program was ****ed as evidenced of us sidelining Burton and bringing in Saunders.

Any chance we had last year was sabotaged by Burton, there’s no denying it.

As for this year, these players are another year older and that’s why last year was so important and why he should have been sacked.

I’ve never whinged about missing finals because we’ve played youth, I haven’t had to, we’ve never done it. West Coast on the other hand have and look at the premierships they’ve won.

The problem we have doing it this year is the pick swap so there is no way we will do it. Plus we have these guys on contracts for 2-3 years, our hands are tied, we are not going to have them playing sanfl for a couple of years.

A minute ago you said only Sloane missed and now it’s Tex missing 9 games.

Yes he played, when he was clearly underdone and this supports my point that our preseason was mismanaged and
our fitness program was ****** as evidenced of us sidelining Burton and bringing in Saunders.

Any chance we had last year was sabotaged by Burton, there’s no denying it.

As for this year, these players are another year older and that’s why last year was so important and why he should have been sacked.

I’ve never whinged about missing finals because we’ve played youth, I haven’t had to, we’ve never done it. West Coast on the other hand have and look at the premierships they’ve won.

The problem we have doing it this year is the pick swap so there is no way we will do it. Plus we have these guys on contracts for 2-3 years, our hands are tied, we are not going to have them playing sanfl for a couple of years.

the reason we aren't going to have them playing SANFL is they are generally going to provide more output and make us more competitive

I am happy to lose games and play youth, some dumbos think actually playing youth will make us better in the short term, it will make us better long term (Maybe if they are any good) but worse short term

Remove this Banner Ad

Back