State or Federal?

Remove this Banner Ad

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
This year has been a big year for the Federation and it got me thinking.

Let's say you were a young, aspiring politician who actually wanted to do good in the world (I know, it's a stretch) from with side of politics. Would you really go into Federal politics or would you go to the states, where things actually seem to get done?
  • In an emergency, like Covid-19, it's the states that actually do things.
  • Energy ministers like Matt Kean in NSW and Lily D'Ambrosio in Victoria are actually completely changing the way we generate and consume energy.
  • Same if you're a state transport, education or health minister, your impact on people's lives is far greater than that of your Federal counterpart.
I know the argument about state vs Federal powers is an old one (and that the Feds still hold the purse strings of the tax system), but this year seems to have really brought home how the states are basically ignoring the Feds on policy.

There's always talk about how the state should be abolished, but maybe it's the Feds that need to be scaled back to the basics (collect and distribute revenue), defence, trade.

Thoughts? Counter-arguments?

This year has been a big year for the Federation and it got me thinking.

Let's say you were a young, aspiring politician who actually wanted to do good in the world (I know, it's a stretch) from with side of politics. Would you really go into Federal politics or would you go to the states, where things actually seem to get done?
  • In an emergency, like Covid-19, it's the states that actually do things.
  • Energy ministers like Matt Kean in NSW and Lily D'Ambrosio in Victoria are actually completely changing the way we generate and consume energy.
  • Same if you're a state transport, education or health minister, your impact on people's lives is far greater than that of your Federal counterpart.
I know the argument about state vs Federal powers is an old one (and that the Feds still hold the purse strings of the tax system), but this year seems to have really brought home how the states are basically ignoring the Feds on policy.

There's always talk about how the state should be abolished, but maybe it's the Feds that need to be scaled back to the basics (collect and distribute revenue), defence, trade.

Thoughts? Counter-arguments?

a great debate to be had

1) We have seen the dangers on Hitler, Trump and every other s**t leader in history which highlights the most important power we have as citizens, is the right to vote with our feet. Democracy is one power but the ultimate power is to move to safer and more stable governments.
2) As a result the feds should have very limited powers
3) States are the best at rolling out services and should spend and spend big
4) The feds should be the tight arses and balance the needs of state and preserving the economy
5) The cost of two layers is a small price to pay for freedom
6) Cut out overlap departments. There should be no environment, health etc at the federal level, as these are state issues.

Location needs to be taken into account.

If you’re a Victorian, travel as an MP is on the minimal side. Travel to Melbourne, or zip up to Canberra. Able to be home with your family, very regularly.

If you are are from WA, NT, or northern QLD, travelling to Canberra might be a bitch.

I know from a WA view point, a good number of pollies have only lasted a short time in Canberra, due to the time away from their electorate ( family ).

It also depends on the state of your party ( state v federal ). Staying with the WA example, if you were a budding Liberal, the state parliament arena is crying out for new blood. If you have an ego to make a big change, there’s your chance. Federally, mmmm to get pre-selected, ..... mmm got to go to the right church.

We (Aus) need to have a look at the failures of the Fed/State interface in the real world of the fires, the pandemic, & the Murray Darling Basin & the east coast power grid to understand the failures.
I agree we need to minimise duplication.

The inner city/country divide is probably better left to the States to fix, but do need common standards Aus wide.

I agree that the States are where things get done, go Fed for the ego.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back