State Team

Remove this Banner Ad

be lucky to get 2000 people to the game, in fact the victorian scoreline might be higher than the crowd numbers.

Hers my crack at a TSL team made up of players not in the "state" squad.

B: Fitze, Wells, Praciak
HB: M. Smith, Drury, Shipton
C: Bristow, Murphy, Gilmour
HF: Cassidy, Thorp, Standen
F: Baldock, Finch, Crawford

RR: Hills ,Banham, Shackleton

Int: Derbyshire, Di Ennio, R. Sullivan, Gardham.

Very rough off the top of my head and would need tweaking. But thats just a sample. I'm sure I've missed blokes too.

no thurley? you kidding?

Here is the VFL squad...
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=19229720

In the 32 man squad, it features the best 8 players from the '28 game winning streak' Port Melbourne side.

This could get ugly gentlemen... very, very ugly indeed (which is not good for footy).

What do you expect, i think Tassie would have been in trouble had they selected there best side, but with them going for youth, It will be a massive margin for the vics 120pts plus.

Honestly who will want to go and watch this match???

What do you expect, i think Tassie would have been in trouble had they selected there best side, but with them going for youth, It will be a massive margin for the vics 120pts plus.

Honestly who will want to go and watch this match???

It may well be an honourable loss as they say these days. My big issue is once upon a time to represent ones state was an honour, getting in this team based on age and promise and not form smacks the players of days past and belittle's their wearing of the MAP, the young players today will not really value the MAP as it is just a stepping stone for them to show off selfishly their own skills to get drafted. 120 pts may well be generous, this will be more than ugly. The team posted previously of non squad selected players would smash the selected team let alone the Vics

Surely Wickham would be close to the best forward in the state.

All of Launceston got smashed that day didn't they? not exactly an ideal day for Derba
Yep,probably a fair call on the Blues that day and had a few out but Derba not the player he once was as looks to have lost a bit of weight-still very good but dropped off a bit I reckon,Toddy Grima on form currently would have to be the best forward going around ?

Just want to say what a massive acheivement it is by Brady Jones to make the state team, incase you dont know in the last 6 months he has played 1st class cricket with the tigers and also played 1 day matches as well and now state football, I know it would have happened in the past but when????

On a side note, this would be massive in the mainland papers, but the good ol mercury......... No bloody idea!!! would have been a good story to promote the game.

Just want to say what a massive acheivement it is by Brady Jones to make the state team, incase you dont know in the last 6 months he has played 1st class cricket with the tigers and also played 1 day matches as well and now state football, I know it would have happened in the past but when????

On a side note, this would be massive in the mainland papers, but the good ol mercury......... No bloody idea!!! would have been a good story to promote the game.

No-one cares about the game anyway. A pity, but their it is.:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well I couldn't resist. Had to go watch.Was down in Hobart anyway. The boys started well and to be honest, our younger boys played better than the older ones. Reynolds was ok, but was never agreat selection. Stephens didn't touch it until the last 10 minutes; He an Thurley are the two elite midfielders of our state.

Mihochek is not up to it and yesturday he prooved why he didn't get drafted.

A surprise was Josh Woolley and Musika. These two 19 year olds proved they are strong draft chances.
Musika has slick hands and gets to all the right spots, hopwever there was not anywhere near enough quality or intensity from our boys. We seemed to be chancing bum the whole day and I wouldn't be surprised if we won the tackle count as Victoria hardly let us get near the footy.

Some of the players I didn't know well. Allwright? He was playing VFL last year and was listed the year before?! Is that why he got a geurnsey?

Well done to Waller, thought he came on and did some good tjhings- attacked the footy.

I don't think we got it passed our forward 50 more than a dozen times all day.

Overall,

The boys couldve been 150 points arrears by the end but they showed at least our depth (mostly 2nd teer players) can still be competitve with the best league in the country outrside AFL.

A good effort but to represent the state, you should still have to earn it.

Hopefully our next game they pick some more experienced players to compliment our youngsters- we truly lacked a couple of actual onballers (thurley, Bristow, Shackleton)
and were in desperate need of a couple of actual forwards ( Derby, crawford, Cassidy)

We should still try get behind the boys, it wasn't their fault they got picked, They are still great contributers to our great brand in Tasmania. The crowd was dismal- take away the 25 coaching staff, the families of the players and the pregame (Mariners/ Nth Ballrat) and I would be surprised if there was 800.

Would love to hear from other about the game.

PS- How good is that Pleming? Number 22!

Word is Alright played as he was paid a nice little 4 figure amount to take part. I also heard on a work site last week why Jason Laycock changed his mind within 24 hours of saying he didn't want to play! 5K for a nice little days work.

I also heard on a work site last week why Jason Laycock changed his mind within 24 hours of saying he didn't want to play! 5K for a nice little days work.

If thats the case then heads need to roll at Argyle St, Fair dinkum WTF, hear we have Footy Tas saying we dont have enough money to show the game on Tv, but we pay somebody to represent the state and they wonder why people have lost confidence in Tasmanian football:eek::eek:

yeh never enough footy in the Mercury is there? imagine if you were half decent at another sport other than footy or cricket? The guy is a good allround sportsman and has attracted a heap of media I would have thought?

How do people think the state team will go this year? TSL vs NEAFL (Eastern Conference) at Skoda Stadium , Sydney this Saturday. Looks to be a good mix and have at least got some of the leading goal kickers in the side this year! Go Tassie!!!

How do people think the state team will go this year? TSL vs NEAFL (Eastern Conference) at Skoda Stadium , Sydney this Saturday. Looks to be a good mix and have at least got some of the leading goal kickers in the side this year! Go Tassie!!!
NEAFL by at least 60 + points

I actually dont mind the side, has got a good mix in it this year and a good spread of goalkickers and bigger bodies. Laycock is a huge out though and I thought Jack Siggins was very stiff not to be selected down back.

I actually dont mind the side, has got a good mix in it this year and a good spread of goalkickers and bigger bodies. Laycock is a huge out though and I thought Jack Siggins was very stiff not to be selected down back.

NEAFL East who you play lost to NEAFL North by 145 points last year, not a typo-25 goals. In fairness the NEAFL East team looks better this year but I expect a competitive game.

Neafl East to win by 3 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back