State Team

Remove this Banner Ad

JS#35

All Australian
Aug 21, 2009
Nursing home
AFL Club
Richmond
2012 State Team Selection Criteria: The overriding strategy will be to select younger players with talent and potential, players who may catch the eye of AFL recruiters if they perform well at this level, with the points below being further detail:
1. In the first year of what will be a six year program, prioritise the selection of players who are young and who might be able to come on the six year journey (or at least for say four years)
2. Select players who possess AFL attributes, and who show a desire and willingness to challenge themselves at a higher level
3. Only select experienced (say 24 years +) senior players with great character and commitment to the cause, who are extremely fit and who can be part of the journey for at least two or three years

2013 onwards:
• Senior state academy members will be prioritised into the initial squad but not guaranteed final selection

Assistant Coaches:
• State team coaching selections will favour coaches with potential and long term coaching aspirations, who understand the player development process
2012 Squad

Burnie
Robbie Fox
Claye Hardy
Jason Laycock
Andrew Lee
Vin Ponsonby
Nick McKenna
Brody Mihocek
Harry Walters

Clarence
Ryan Bailey
Jake Cox
Aaron French
Brady Jones
Cameron Thurley

Devonport
Aaron McNab

Glenorchy
Jaye Bowden
Ben Brown
Ben Reynolds
Brayden Webb

Hobart
Todd Kelly

Lauderdale
Alex Hevey
Alex Hill
Damon Smith
Kaine Waller

Launceston
Joe Groenewegen
Jordan Harris
Majak Miar
Scott Stephens
Josh Woolley

North Hobart
Tom Allwright
Julian Dobosz
Larry Owen

North Launceston
Dylan Riley
Mitch Van Den Berg

South Launceston
Jay Blackberry
Jobi Harper
Bart McCulloch
Michael Musicka
Chris Taylor

Coaches: Adam Sanders, Anthony Taylor, Darren Winter, Ben Beams, Zane Littlejohn
Chairman: Nick Probert
Rehabilitation and fitness: Sam Yee
Runners: Scott Hawkins, Gavin Cooney
Head Trainer: Leon Cupit
Team Manager: Tim Cocker

Pale

Rookie
Sep 20, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is a joke not picking the best in form players.

No Standen,Bristow,Finch,Crawford,Wells,Shackleton & no doubt I have missed some.
Any reason why Thorpe not named.
It is out & out anti discrimination.

I know one of the players named is on the verge of getting dropped back to the Colts due to form.

Barge

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2005
Bargeville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Claremont
It would be interesting if someone who follows the TSL closely could make a squad of those overlooked. Would be quite interesting. Cassidy another who would surely be in a State squad. Derbyshire perhaps too and as the above poster said no doubt countless others.

denny44

Debutant
Jun 29, 2011
Redfern
AFL Club
GWS
I see Laycock is named, even though he seems to be having that weekend off to rest up!!

I would imagine he would be hit with some sort of suspension or fine if he pulls out and is not injured?? :p:D

Rowie09

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2006
Hobart, Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Atlanta Hawks
Hers my crack at a TSL team made up of players not in the "state" squad.

B: Fitze, Wells, Praciak
HB: M. Smith, Drury, Shipton
C: Bristow, Murphy, Gilmour
HF: Cassidy, Thorp, Standen
F: Baldock, Finch, Crawford

RR: Hills ,Banham, Shackleton

Int: Derbyshire, Di Ennio, R. Sullivan, Gardham.

Very rough off the top of my head and would need tweaking. But thats just a sample. I'm sure I've missed blokes too.

ROCKY ROAD

Team Captain
May 6, 2011
hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
This is a joke not picking the best in form players.

No Standen,Bristow,Finch,Crawford,Wells,Shackleton & no doubt I have missed some.
Any reason why Thorpe not named.
It is out & out anti discrimination.

I know one of the players named is on the verge of getting dropped back to the Colts due to form.

as posted earlier, AFL Tas have said anyone over 24 would be selected on great character & committment to the cause. They must think these guys lack that. Lucky their job criteria was'nt selected on the same guidelines, none of them would have a job.

Saints23

Draftee
Feb 12, 2012
Binalong bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its all sad where the Tsl is heading. This state selection/ u24 academy is another knife in the coffin for Tsl footy, if i was the clubs id not be rushing into a licence agreement. All this is a knee jerk reaction to cover their bases and not let any possible overage draft picks slip through like hall and howe. its pretty embarrasing for them to have a tsl kids comp and academy program that can only generate small draftee numbers each year, so if they can put something in place to lay claim to the odd overage draftee that comes straight from clubs , then they will + of course they then get the draft cash!

we need a white knight for tassie footy that-
1- underwrites a 8 team comp consisting of the best senior players and supported by a strong u23 comp which has rules to allow a % of overage senior players to play in the support comp instead of sending them away, leave the 10 by u18 rule to foster youth development but open arms up to 21-23 age and fringe senior players.,that is the only way in little old tassie that the comp will have enough depth to be strong. We are happy for talented kids to play against men at senior level BUT we don't want the same kids playing against some older players at colts level WHY.
2-has the vision to understand that to encourage more of the best players to play in this elite competition, so that the developing young players can actually develop ,then they must have abc coverage and an adminstration that is not looked at by the public as a joke.

glory man

Debutant
May 19, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Why AFL Tas have done this?? they want our comp to be seen as a strong comp, but with this team, they will be thrashed! some AFL clubs have views already that TSL is a weak comp and will not draft from TSL!

All well and good to promote young kids, but seriously, if half of these older kids were any chance of playing AFL, they would of already gone. Larry Owen played 2 years of mariners and then another 1 year as an overage player, surely someone would have taken him if he was any good?

Miffy99

Draftee
Mar 4, 2012
On the Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood

Very rough off the top of my head and would need tweaking. But thats just a sample. I'm sure I've missed blokes too.

Hey Rowie,

Great side mate. Thats the side that should be playing the state game and maybe tasmanians might start to get a little bit more interested in watching local footy again.

What an absolute joke AFL tas are and how embarrassing is it for Tasmania in general to field such a side in a Tasmanian state game?

Shouldn't the map be awarded to inform players in the tas state league regardless of age?? Im shocked.:thumbsdown:

cooee bulldog

Senior List
Oct 18, 2008
Parklands
AFL Club
Richmond
I saw Derby a few weeks back. Clearly the best forward in the state.

What's going on here?

Absolute disgrace. Pick the best players in their best positions. State jumpers should be earned.

What a joke. Do AFL Tas have a right to formulate a selection criteria when the team that is selected is representing us?

How Matt Drury is not in that team is ridiculous. Can play at either end and has the athletic ability of any other player in Tasmania.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still Kickin

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2008
Ross
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Absolute disgrace. Pick the best players in their best positions. State jumpers should be earned.

What a joke. Do AFL Tas have a right to formulate a selection criteria when the team that is selected is representing us?

How Matt Drury is not in that team is ridiculous. Can play at either end and has the athletic ability of any other player in Tasmania.

I'm with you CB. IF people had any respect at all for AFL tas, i believe this lastest idea that was formulated over a friday afternoon game of golf, is just wrong. State footy is the best of the best, pick them on form and reputation. There will always be a couple who are out of form but are picked because they have been there and done it, that will always happen. How the hell can Shackleton and Derbeshire not be in the squad. If thurls can be picked, and he should! Then so should Shack and Derba! And Kade Munday for that matter. Murphy not in the squad as i believe his suspension carries through that game.

brutus67

Debutant
Jun 10, 2007
brunny island
AFL Club
Carlton
Looks like afltas have performed there first back flip, now Laycock is playing, I wouldn't have thought he was too committed to 'the cause', or does this only apply to some players. How does the reigning Tassie medalist not get in the squad? I don't see much incentive for players over the age of 24 to play in Tassie, what would be the incentive for the likes of Geappen, Collier, O'Brien and Co to come back to Tassie to play in the TSL (a regional development comp)

footy11

Debutant
Jun 16, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood

The first tweak would be Gardham- out

Benny_

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2005
Tasmania
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
L.A.Lakers, Liverpool
shocking squad. why didn't they organise 2 games? first game an actual proper state game with our best players playing the VFL and then a game with the best under 23s against another team.

True Big Red Roo

Senior List
Jul 14, 2010
Eastern Shore
AFL Club
Essendon
Looks like afltas have performed there first back flip, now Laycock is playing, I wouldn't have thought he was too committed to 'the cause', or does this only apply to some players. How does the reigning Tassie medalist not get in the squad? I don't see much incentive for players over the age of 24 to play in Tassie, what would be the incentive for the likes of Geappen, Collier, O'Brien and Co to come back to Tassie to play in the TSL (a regional development comp)

I think you will find a sum of money has been offered from the powers that be for participation!

pirateboy

Rookie
Aug 24, 2011
queenstown
AFL Club
Adelaide

The thing that makes me sick is that the players have picked will not stand a chance of developing anything in the skill department! they will barely learn a lesson from the Victorian team; it'd be like trying to teach under 12's how to zone against men!

What goes down as a youth policy for this 5 yr plan?

I know that some of the players not selected are still young and will be in their prime over the next 5 year- ie. murphy, bristow, crawford

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
It's all very well to form a development squad, but this isn't the Suns we're talking about here, with tons of resources, 22 games a season, and players who have reached the end of their pathway level-wise...1 game a year won't see a performance graph that goes upwards...and the jury is still out as to whether GC and GWS's draft bonanza will actually reap the rewards anyway - is this junior drafting-moulding-building a super side fad really the crock that I personally believe it is...?

One thing AFL Tas can't be accused of is inconsistency, however. Tasmanian footy somewhere has received an AFL directive to mould itself into a draft source at the expense of all else. The Devils were transformed a few years before they folded, into a team designed to be a draft target. The Devils were then axed to form a state league whose main aim is to create players for drafting. They've just announced an academy designed to extend younger players' preseasons to the point where they are playing higher quality footy around the time the drafting scouts are taking notice (this is a pretty good idea, actually). And with the current expansion trend of mature age rookies, overlooking older players for state duties looks like a tactic designed to expose younger players who might have missed the draft initially in a match that will be watched by scouts (if they are indeed overlooking the TSL because of its standard)...

So it's a predictable step. Pity it isn't one that will give us a competitive team against a squad full of Podsiadlys! However, while we cringe at the quality of the players missing as listed by other posters above, I recall many of those guys running around and doing well in the 2010 TSL, and still not making the trip up to Southport when we got that caning against Qld. Are the selectors onto something when they make an issue of the players' commitment to the cause...?

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's all very well to form a development squad, but this isn't the Suns we're talking about here, with tons of resources, 22 games a season, and players who have reached the end of their pathway level-wise...1 game a year won't see a performance graph that goes upwards...and the jury is still out as to whether GC and GWS's draft bonanza will actually reap the rewards anyway - is this junior drafting-moulding-building a super side fad really the crock that I personally believe it is...?

One thing AFL Tas can't be accused of is inconsistency, however. Tasmanian footy somewhere has received an AFL directive to mould itself into a draft source at the expense of all else. The Devils were transformed a few years before they folded, into a team designed to be a draft target. The Devils were then axed to form a state league whose main aim is to create players for drafting. They've just announced an academy designed to extend younger players' preseasons to the point where they are playing higher quality footy around the time the drafting scouts are taking notice (this is a pretty good idea, actually). And with the current expansion trend of mature age rookies, overlooking older players for state duties looks like a tactic designed to expose younger players who might have missed the draft initially in a match that will be watched by scouts (if they are indeed overlooking the TSL because of its standard)...

So it's a predictable step. Pity it isn't one that will give us a competitive team against a squad full of Podsiadlys! However, while we cringe at the quality of the players missing as listed by other posters above, I recall many of those guys running around and doing well in the 2010 TSL, and still not making the trip up to Southport when we got that caning against Qld. Are the selectors onto something when they make an issue of the players' commitment to the cause...?

The public are already voting with their feet. Supporters can get sick of the continual procession of young players with very few staying in the club for very long.
Most of them are not really ready for senior football. Skinny arms & legs. Getting knocked around. TSL clubs are just becoming meat works. Grow 'em, package 'em up & piss 'em off to either the mainland somewhere or the SFL.
We use to see a mix of experience & the odd young gun coming into the team to learn the ropes. Some teams in this TSL look like u19 teams of old. How are they going to learn & develop if the clubs are forced to become football kindergartens.
The SFL & OS will continue to grow & become popular. The last two SFL GF had better crowds than the TSL.
The TSL will continue on as a farce. Now the State team is a farce too.

Miffy99

Draftee
Mar 4, 2012
On the Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
The public are already voting with their feet. Supporters can get sick of the continual procession of young players with very few staying in the club for very long.
Most of them are not really ready for senior football. Skinny arms & legs. Getting knocked around. TSL clubs are just becoming meat works. Grow 'em, package 'em up & piss 'em off to either the mainland somewhere or the SFL.
We use to see a mix of experience & the odd young gun coming into the team to learn the ropes. Some teams in this TSL look like u19 teams of old. How are they going to learn & develop if the clubs are forced to become football kindergartens.
The SFL & OS will continue to grow & become popular. The last two SFL GF had better crowds than the TSL.
The TSL will continue on as a farce. Now the State team is a farce too.

Yeah spot on.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back