Stats - Are they misleading?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's almost like ruck work has little to no correlation to scoring or winning games.

Something that has been shown in multiple analyses already.
I’d say it’s probably more due to the fact we have the best midfield and midfield depth by an absolute mile… as I said, we’re the outlier, most of the other results point to the fact the teams with the best ruckman have better scoring from stoppages

You can get away with a s**t ruck division and a gun midfield, you can’t get away with a gun ruck division and a s**t midfield obviously - doesn’t mean you can’t give your gun midfield an advantage through your rucks. Pretty simple really

It's almost like ruck work has little to no correlation to scoring or winning games.

I would say that it's true that hitouts and hitouts to advantage both have a very weak correlation with winning clearances and winning games. However, I'd be hesitant to draw the same conclusion about "ruck work" in general. The best rucks influence a CB or stoppage with their follow up work after a hitout. Tim English bullying GWS last week is a great example. It wasn't necessarily the hitouts, it was the way he imposed himself. Maybe harder to quantify some of that though.

All the statistics in the world can't measure the warmth of a smile.
This post made me 27% happier
You had to have made that up. There is absolutely no way that a hard-headed, evil-minded, militant-leftist, belligerent, humourless bully and defamer like Scrag could come up with something as timeless, sincere, profound and beautiful as that.

I would say that it's true that hitouts and hitouts to advantage both have a very weak correlation with winning clearances and winning games. However, I'd be hesitant to draw the same conclusion about "ruck work" in general. The best rucks influence a CB or stoppage with their follow up work after a hitout. Tim English bullying GWS last week is a great example. It wasn't necessarily the hitouts, it was the way he imposed himself. Maybe harder to quantify some of that though.
Maybe. Studies haven't really shown it so far though.
Also, your statement isn't taking into account what you've given up by including a certain type of ruckman or 2nd ruckman though. That's the other part of the equation which is often ignored. It's zero sum.

Maybe. Studies haven't really shown it so far though.
Also, your statement isn't taking into account what you've given up by including a certain type of ruckman or 2nd ruckman though. That's the other part of the equation which is often ignored. It's zero sum.
In a perfect world who would you have in the ruck, if you rate it that little as position would you just let a bunch of mids contest the ruck all day as your ideal set up? Genuinely curious as it’s an interesting take

Remove this Banner Ad

Back