Analysis STATS CENTRAL

Remove this Banner Ad

As a stats man like this thread idea.

Came across this the other day which really hit home how poor we have been the last 5 years. Will be really interesting to see how this table finishes in 2019 with the rise of GWS and GCS and us hopefully!

upload_2015-4-16_16-17-29.png

H

Haven't beaten them at the Gabba since 2004.

I reckon Leppitsch probably played..

Three senior coaches, almost every player getting to 100 games, most to 200 and a handful to 300, three Brownlow medalists and god knows how many premiership medallions. Wouldn't mind seeing LotR's analysis of their matchup if they were playing this year.

Sounds like a challenge for the stats lovers out there <-- hint hint

We are ranked #1 across the AFL for least amount of marks conceded this season :thumbsu:

Stefan Martin and Daniel Rich led the AFL in rd. 7 for goal assists (both with 4).

But probably the most pleasing stat was that Travis Boak led the league in clangers, with our pressure on their captain leading to a massive 10 clangers on the weekend - by far the most of the round :cool:

We are ranked #1 across the AFL for least amount of marks conceded this season :thumbsu:

Stefan Martin and Daniel Rich led the AFL in rd. 7 for goal assists (both with 4).

But probably the most pleasing stat was that Travis Boak led the league in clangers, with our pressure on their captain leading to a massive 10 clangers on the weekend - by far the most of the round :cool:

Lol Travis Choke lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some interesting stats that show we are heading in the right direction (potentially, with the correct development / additions etc.).

Obviously we are well down the pecking order in pretty much all the scoring stats:

Last in the AFL for scoring, contested marks and we struggle in contested possessions (17th).

But, whilst the above needs to be improved on; there are certain sections of our game plan that seem to be working:

2nd in the AFL for marks conceded
3rd for stoppage clearances
5th for hit outs per game
5th for clearances
5th for frees for (but 2nd in conceded)
6th for 1%'ers

But, with the above - we shouldn't be 17th in the AFL for Inside 50's - I dare say the players are looking for the perfect F50 entry or are too scared to bomb it inside 50.

We're mid pack in terms of disposal efficiency, but ahead of the likes of Adelaide, Port and Collingwood.

Had a glance at the goal kicking stats for this year. Clearly one of the many reasons we are the spooners this year is that there is not a lion to be found in the top 50.

Josh Green is STILL our leading goal scorer (#60) with 19.8, having been out for months and having not kicked a goal since Rd 14. Unless he kicks more than 7 in the next 2 games this will be the lowest ever total to win our goal kicking award beating Leppitsch 26.15 in 1998.

Another parallel for those of us comparing 1998 to 2015:cool:

Last edited:
Had a glance at the goal kicking stats for this year. Clearly one of the many reasons we are the spooners this year is that there is not a lion to be found in the top 50.

Josh Green is STILL our leading goal scorer (#60) with 19.8, having been out for months and having not kicked a goal since Rd 14. Unless he kicks more than 7 in the next 2 games this will be the lowest ever total to win our goal kicking award beating Leppitsch 26.15 in 1998.

Another parallel for those of us comparing 1998 to 2015:cool:

Likely to be the lowest number of goals scored in Bears/Brisbane Lions history. We're still 25 goals short of last year which was a new low. Even in the depths of the Brisbane Bears years the team regularly scored 250 plus goals a year (261 in 1998 so there were at least more goal kickers than this year). The number of goals the team has scored the last two years is on par with the last two years of Fitzroy but the goals against are not as bad thankfully.

Some really positive stats around this week from various sources (Champion Data, AFL website etc.)

We are:

1st AFL for least amount of turnovers (but somehow also 1st for highest points against from turnovers) o_O
3rd AFL for Mark v I50 rate :thumbsu:
4th AFL for ball retention I50 :thumbsu:
4th AFL least clangers :confused:
4th AFL points scored from stoppages
6th AFL total scoring shots :)

I don't think we'd have been that high up in those categories for a looonnnnnnnng time :D

Obviously we have tinkered with our game plan/s of late; but it seems to be working well if the above are the outcomes, even though:

12th AFL Centre clearances
13th AFL Stoppages
13th AFL Hit Outs
14th AFL Clearances

:cool:

Clangers are a deceptive stat considering free kicks against count as 1. I believe we are first for free kicks for this year too

And positive and negative stat is that whilst we are terrible in clearances, we arent scored on heavily from stopages. Meaning whilst we often dont get first use, it isnt costing us on the scoreboard. Our contested footy and clearances will only improve over the next 24 months, so it is a positive we already dont leak points there.

I think something around 75% of the points scored against us are from turnovers. A terrible stat, but again, it also shows that defensively we are actually pretty good. 3/4 of opponents scores come from our own doing. We dont get scored on much from opposition constructively moving the ball and creating scoring opportunities. On the flipside, we are getting heaps of scoring shots.

There is massive improvement possible from only tightening up a little bit. Think we could very easily do a dogs or port and make a sudden jump up the ladder.

And playing a more aggressive style of footy definitely suits our team better. Our defense will improve as our offense improves, as the opposition can't score if they don't have the ball, and our ability to win first use of, or win back the ball only increases that.

A quirky one.

28 - Lewy Taylor was pick 28 in the draft... yeah we all knew that.

But

as the leading goal scorer for the lions at the end of round 4 he is ranked ......

equal 28th.

I know, amazing. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back