Stats observations

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Saad has had more bounces this year than West Coast and Adelaide combined.

Of the large margins of 120 points or more that have only come up once, Essendon hold four of them. The Bombers are the only team to win by 148 points (vs. Melbourne 2013), by 146 points (vs. Footscray 1982), by 142 Points (vs. West Coast Eagles 1989) and by 132 points (vs. Footscray 1983).

For many years Essendon were the only team to have won by 165-points (vs. South Melbourne Swans 1964) and by 133 points (vs. Collingwood 1984), but these have since been equaled once each. Hawthorn thrashed Port Adelaide by 165 points in 2011, and Geelong demolished the Fremantle Dockers by 133-points in a 2018 match.

However, on the debit side of the ledger, the Bombers are the only team to have lost by 163-points (vs. Sydney Swans 1987), by 160-points (vs. Hawthorn 1992) and by 147 points (vs. Collingwood in 1971).

Of the large margins of 120 points or more that have only come up once, Essendon hold four of them. The Bombers are the only team to win by 148 points (vs. Melbourne 2013), by 146 points (vs. Footscray 1982), by 142 Points (vs. West Coast Eagles 1989) and by 132 points (vs. Footscray 1983).

For many years Essendon were the only team to have won by 165-points (vs. South Melbourne Swans 1964) and by 133 points (vs. Collingwood 1984), but these have since been equaled once each. Hawthorn thrashed Port Adelaide by 165 points in 2011, and Geelong demolished the Fremantle Dockers by 133-points in a 2018 match.

However, on the debit side of the ledger, the Bombers are the only team to have lost by 163-points (vs. Sydney Swans 1987), by 160-points (vs. Hawthorn 1992) and by 147 points (vs. Collingwood in 1971).

That 160 point whipping to the reigning Premiers Hawthorn in 1992 was quite amazing given that only about 30 games later the Bombers themselves would become Premiers in 1993!

On another unrelated note though, but in the discussion this season so far about having the two 1-12 sides in North and WCE, 1993 saw the bottom three (Swans 1-19, Bears and Tigers 4-16) win a combined 9 of 60 games. I still have thoughts of 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' about Geelong in that season as the Cats missed on the top 6 by 4.2% behind the Eagles. Geelong played each of those sides just once that season, an extra bite of one of those teams with peak Gazza scoring at will, well maybe the top 6 could have been made.

Amazing ladder that year, as 12 of the 15 sides had a 10-10 record or better, and just 14 Premiership points separated top from 12th. The 6-game gap to the bottom three is just about unparalleled in footy.

I know Gary Jr was only a small bloke but 357 games without a single hit-out is notable i reckon.

Even Boomer Harvey managed 2 or 3

Joel Selwood will play his 346th game this weekend, and he's had one more win (249) than his team-mate Mitch Duncan has had games (248). If Joel gets another win, he'll be only the 4th player to celebrate 250 wins in his career, the others ahead of him being Michael Tuck, whose 302 wins looks like it'll be never broken, Shaun Burgoyne 263, and Kevin Bartlett 260. Joel will need to play next season to have a show at beating either of those players, and it's probably not a foregone conclusion that he will go on.

Bruce Doull (238 wins) and Joel are the only players of the top 7 in career wins to not be a 400-game player, longevity and playing in really good sides being essential for these sorts of milestones.

Bradley, Enright, Matthews and G.Coventry are all equal 10th with 220 wins, and Tom Hawkins if he gets another win, will move to 8th place ahead of Simon Madden, those two level on 223 wins apiece. Hawkins has played 63 fewer games than Simon to reach that figure.

Recently 10 years passed since there was a drawn match in the WAFL. The most recent tied WAFL match was a game between West Perth and East Perth for the WA Day long weekend in June 2012, and the draw droughts in this competition are as follows. West Coast Eagles Reserves - no drawn game since commencing in 2019, West Perth and East Perth 2012, Swan Districts & Claremont 2010, Perth 2009, Subiaco 2001, South Fremantle 1997, Peel Thunder - no draws since commencing in 1997 & East Fremantle last played a stalemate in 1989.

What also is remarkable is that in 35 years, just one drawn AFL match has ever been played in Perth. The Fremantle Dockers took 18 years from their debut to draw a game, this an away game to the Sydney Swans at the SCG and they haven't drawn again to date 9 years later. The West Coast Eagles have played more drawn games than their WA rivals with six to date but all but one have been in away games. The only time they shared the points on their home ground was a match in 2003 against the Western Bulldogs at Subiaco Oval, although a 2007 semi final against Collingwood in Perth finished with scores tied at the final siren, before the Magpies won in extra time.

Noah Cumberland has had 5 scores with his first 5 disposals in AFL football to halftime today. Not 5 goals, just 5 scores. How many more would he need for a record?

West Coast kicked 84.9% of their score in one quarter today.
Since the renaming of the AFL in 1990, how many times has a team kicked 80% of their score in one quarter, and what's the highest percentage since then?

I can name two:
West Coast (R23, 1992) - 92% in the last quarter
Fitzroy (R1, 1995) - 84.2% in the last quarter

I find 92% to be a fairly difficult one to beat.

Most of that 92% from the Eagles Rd.23 match against Footscray came well after the halfway mark of the last quarter, with their first goal coming with just SIX MINUTES to go in the match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast kicked 84.9% of their score in one quarter today.
Since the renaming of the AFL in 1990, how many times has a team kicked 80% of their score in one quarter, and what's the highest percentage since then?

I can name two:
West Coast (R23, 1992) - 92% in the last quarter
Fitzroy (R1, 1995) - 84.2% in the last quarter

I find 92% to be a fairly difficult one to beat.
Collingwood 2020 Semi Final is the closest i can think of in recent times. 78% in the last quarter.

Fremantle R22 2018 against Geelong kicked 80% in the first quarter

Thats about all i got running back to 2010

Rory Laird broke the record for most tackles in a game today (in the Mens, not overall) with 20!

The 14.8-92 to 11.22-88 victory by North Melbourne over Richmond this afternoon - arguably the upset of the season - was similar in scoring to a bizarre match between the Kangaroos and Tigers in 1944. In that game however the Tigers were the accurate ones with 14.2-86, while the Kangaroos despite kicking an inaccurate 11.21-87 were able to win by a point. It was the first time that a team had won a game kicking 3 goals less than their opponents, and 78 years on it remains the only example of this.

The 14.8-92 to 11.22-88 victory by North Melbourne over Richmond this afternoon - arguably the upset of the season - was similar in scoring to a bizarre match between the Kangaroos and Tigers in 1944. In that game however the Tigers were the accurate ones with 14.2-86, while the Kangaroos despite kicking an inaccurate 11.21-87 were able to win by a point. It was the first time that a team had won a game kicking 3 goals less than their opponents, and 78 years on it remains the only example of this.

I had a closer look at the other scores of the day this 11.21-87 to 14.2-86 victory by inaccurate North over accurate Richmond took place, and there were some other weird scores that day in other matches too. Appropriately it was Round 13, but what was the weather like that afternoon of Saturday 29th July 1944?

In a match at the Junction Oval, South Melbourne defeated Geelong with a mind-boggling 8.30-78 to 8.8-56 victory, this win by the Swans over the Cats still the largest winning margin by behinds alone. At Hawthorn, the Hawks were on the wrong end of a 44-point hiding from Carlton, but despite winning the Blues sprayed the football all over the ground with 13.28-106 to the beaten Hawthorn's very accurate 10.2-62.

At the Brunswick Street Oval eventual premiers Fitzroy and their opponents Collingwood were both very inaccurate (although nowhere near the scale of the Kangaroos, Blues and Swans), with the Lions leading all afternoon and thrashing the Magpies by 51-points 12-17-89 to 4.14-38.

The other games played that day produced fairly normal scorelines, Footscray comfortably beating St Kilda at the Western Oval by 23-points in a match clearly affected by the breeze by the quarter by quarter scores, and Essendon beat Melbourne 14.14-98 to the Demons 11.12-78 at Punt Road of all places.

What a very strange day, I wish I could go back in time to see what the weather conditions were like around Melbourne that day.

Last night in the Geelong-Port game, the three top hitout winners were all from Geelong:

18 - Mark Blicavs (G)
16 - Rhys Stanley (G)
11- Shannon Neale (G)
10- Jeremy Finlayson (P)

Usually when one team gets very few hitouts it's because they're being monstered by a single colossal ruckman like Sandilands, Goldstein, or Gawn. It would be pretty rare for the top three ruckmen on the ground to be a part-timer, a bloke playing a half with a bung knee, and the medi-sub.

Today, the drought ended.

South Fremantle V West Perth? The WAFL website frustratingly has had the score for that game frozen at 29.47 for the last 15 minutes with scores level. At first I thought there must have been some sort of incident delaying the end such as a player needing to be stretchered off, but clearly it must be a site problem as the game must have finished by now. However I wasn't sure if 9.11-65 to 9.11-65 was the final score for the match.

Also this mind-twister from the WAFL today:

East Perth, which moved their home games to West Perth's old home ground at Leederville from 2000 onwards, were unable to play at the Leederville ground today because the surface was not to acceptable standard. Instead they played Peel Thunder at the East Fremantle Oval, a venue closed this year for ground redevelopment. Meanwhile today the East Fremantle Sharks were playing at their temporary home the WACA - which is found in East Perth. The away team was Perth, with the WACA the Demons' home ground until the late 1950s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back