Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone (me included!) are assuming that his will be his last season. Freo don't play at Adelaide again in 2016. It's highly unlikely that he'd go around again. He's basically been cooked for the last 2 seasons.

Thanks for this. I did not realise Pavlich was from South Australia.

81 minutes. How long was Getelong goalless for v Carlton?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The Geelong vs. Carlton game was from 2001. After watching a clip on YouTube of the final quarter, it was mentioned that Geelong did not score a goal after the 26 minute mark of the first quarter.

The Geelong vs. Carlton game was from 2001. After watching a clip on YouTube of the final quarter, it was mentioned that Geelong did not score a goal after the 26 minute mark of the first quarter.

Geelong on that historic wet day in Rd 12 1977 played the Blues at Princes Park and didn't score their first goal until the last quarter. Final score was Carlton 3.13.31 to Geelong 2.12.24. There was also a game in 1984 Dogs versus Essendon where at the Western Oval the Dogs also took until the last quarter to record a major, losing narrowly 4.10.34 to 3.14.32.

I think there's a few more examples in the last 30-40 years where a side has remained goal-less for three quarters of a game, but can't immediately think off hand of them. Ah, Carlton i think in 1991 against the Dogs at Western Oval again scored their only goal of the game rather close to full time, Rd 11 1991 the Dogs 8.9.57 to 1.10.16. Mark Arceri (could be an appropriate name in a way) kicked the goal as almost the last score of the match, so the Blues were over 100 minutes without a goal. That would probably be the longest goal-less period for any side since the last goal-less score, which would have been close to a century ago.

Just in relation to the above as well, RogersResults might well know, would that round in 1991, where Geelong scored 177 against Adelaide be the largest score factor multiple of the lowest score of the round in modern times? Huge difference in weather conditions i guess between the Saturday at Geelong versus a winter Sunday at Western Oval, but 177/16 would be a 11.067 score multiple. Going back in the late 70's there was a bet type balled the 'Tabella' where you'd pick the highest and lowest scoring side for the round.

Geelong on that historic wet day in Rd 12 1977 played the Blues at Princes Park and didn't score their first goal until the last quarter. Final score was Carlton 3.13.31 to Geelong 2.12.24. There was also a game in 1984 Dogs versus Essendon where at the Western Oval the Dogs also took until the last quarter to record a major, losing narrowly 4.10.34 to 3.14.32.

I think there's a few more examples in the last 30-40 years where a side has remained goal-less for three quarters of a game, but can't immediately think off hand of them. Ah, Carlton i think in 1991 against the Dogs at Western Oval again scored their only goal of the game rather close to full time, Rd 11 1991 the Dogs 8.9.57 to 1.10.16. Mark Arceri (could be an appropriate name in a way) kicked the goal as almost the last score of the match, so the Blues were over 100 minutes without a goal. That would probably be the longest goal-less period for any side since the last goal-less score, which would have been close to a century ago.

The last side to go goal-less for a whole game was Richmond against St.Kilda in Rd 16 1961 when their final score was 0.8.8.

Apart from Carlton's score of 1.10.16 mentioned above, Fitzroy scored 1.0.6 against Footscray at the Western Oval in Rd 5 1953. I think the match reports stated Fitzroy's goal was also scored late in the last quarter, when there was a chance of them going the whole match score-less, let alone goal-less.

Nth Melb 1980 ( who were a star studded side at the time ) went scoreless for the last half against Geelong at KP round 14

It was ordinary weather but you could score

Geel 1.3 5.6 11.6 13.6

NM 3.2 4.3 4.3 4.3

*Paul* Ron The Bear

What are the largest game streaks for a player kicking exactly x goals?

E.g. Lance Franklin has kicked exactly four goals in four consecutive games.

What are the largest game streaks for a player kicking at least x goals?

Goals-Games-Player(s)

11 2 Pratt, Bob commenced 1934 R13
9 2 Fanning, Fred/Hudson, Peter/McKenna, Peter (3 times)/White, Lindsay
8 2 Bennett, Darren/Collins, Jack Charles/Coventry, Gordon/Daicos, Peter/Davis, Craig/Hudson, Peter (4 times)/Lockett, Tony/Loewe, Stewart/McKenna, Peter/Minton-Connell, Simon/Mohr, Bill/Moncrieff, Michael/Moriarty, Jack/Osborne, Richard
7 4 Wade, Doug commenced 1969 R6
6 3 Ablett senior, Gary (twice)/Brereton, Dermott/Brown, Jonathan/Clarke, Noel/Coventry, Gordon/Daicos, Peter/Hart, Eddie/Hudson, Peter/Modra, Tony/Mohr, Bill/Moncrieff, Michael/Titus, Jack/Todd, Ron/Vallence, Harry/Young, George Albert
5 3 Ablett senior, Gary/Bradshaw, Daniel/Hall, Barry/Howell, Jack E./Hudson, Peter/Hunt, Rex/Lockett, Tony/Loxton, Sam/Lynch, Dave/McKenna, Peter (twice)/Pratt, Bob/Reynolds, Tom/Wade, Doug/Walls, Robert/White, Lindsay
4 5 Franklin, Lance commenced 2012 R14
3 5 Clover, Horrie/Payne, Charlie/Schwarz, David/Young, Bill D.
2 8 Romero, Jose commenced 1990 R14
1 9 Higgins, Shaun commenced 2009 PF
0 219 Dibbs, Charlie commenced 1924 R11

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was their first 150+ score since 2004....certainly in their halcyon forward days of Schwartz, Lyon and Jakovic they scored heavily. I know Rd 1 1994 was a big score against Geelong at the 'G.

26.18.174 versus Geelong Rd 1 1994....but courtesy of *Paul* here's the AFL tables chart for the Dees best scores.

http://afltables.com/afl/teams/melbourne/gamer.html

Just in relation to the above as well, RogersResults might well know, would that round in 1991, where Geelong scored 177 against Adelaide be the largest score factor multiple of the lowest score of the round in modern times? Huge difference in weather conditions i guess between the Saturday at Geelong versus a winter Sunday at Western Oval, but 177/16 would be a 11.067 score multiple. Going back in the late 70's there was a bet type balled the 'Tabella' where you'd pick the highest and lowest scoring side for the round.

There are clips of both Geelong vs. Adelaide and Footscray vs. Carlton from Round 11 1991 on Youtube. The Saturday game at Geelong looked to be on an overcast and somewhat gloomy but otherwise dry winter's day; by Sunday the weather had turned very wet and you can see the Bulldogs and Blues in what looked more like a lake than a football oval.

The Fremantle Dockers kicked a pathetic 1.7-13 when thrashed by Adelaide in Round 15 1999, but the Crows' score was 19.16-130, 10 times higher than that of the vanquished Dockers. No side kicked a higher score than Adelaide that round, and I can't recall any examples of one team kicking a huge score and another a very low score like Geelong and Carlton in Round 11 1991.

Determining how many minutes a team went goalless is somewhat tricky for most games pre 2008. Most would know we can look at scoring progression stats on Paul's website for recent seasons, so unless you can uncover something in an old newspaper or yearbook it is hard to determine older games. I found one in The Age from 1989 to compare with some of the games mentioned recently in this thread.

minutes goalless | team | opponent | season
\83|West Coast|Geelong|round 4, 2014
\68|Fremantle|Adelaide|round 15, 2009
\67|Hawthorn|Western Bulldogs|round 14, 2009
\66|Brisbane Lions|Fremantle|round 14, 2014
\64|Footscray|Essendon|round 13, 1989
\63|Melbourne|G. W. S.|round 21, 2014
\61|Essendon|Geelong|round 10, 2015
\59|Essendon|Carlton|round 6, 2016
\53|West Coast|Hawthorn|round 4, 2012
\51|Carlton|Essendon|round 6, 2016

There are clips of both Geelong vs. Adelaide and Footscray vs. Carlton from Round 11 1991 on Youtube. The Saturday game at Geelong looked to be on an overcast and somewhat gloomy but otherwise dry winter's day; by Sunday the weather had turned very wet and you can see the Bulldogs and Blues in what looked more like a lake than a football oval.

The Fremantle Dockers kicked a pathetic 1.7-13 when thrashed by Adelaide in Round 15 1999, but the Crows' score was 19.16-130, 10 times higher than that of the vanquished Dockers. No side kicked a higher score than Adelaide that round, and I can't recall any examples of one team kicking a huge score and another a very low score like Geelong and Carlton in Round 11 1991.

No day game in Melbourne today, but 25 years later the weather was the same, fine conditions at KP albeit with a bit of a breeze....Sunday raining, although calm conditions.

I think there's a few more examples in the last 30-40 years where a side has remained goal-less for three quarters of a game, but can't immediately think off hand of them.

Fremantle scored 1.7 vs Adelaide in 2009, and therefore, must have gone 3 quarters goalless.

Some known times for teams who didn't score a goal until the fourth quarter:

11 minutes Footscray vs. Essendon, round 17, 1984
18 minutes Geelong vs. Carlton, round 12, 1977
20 minutes West Coast vs. Footscray, round 23, 1992
26 minutes Carlton vs. Footscray, round 11, 1991

Remove this Banner Ad

Back