Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

I was reading about the history of the Woodville Football Club prior to the merger with West Torrens at the end of the 1990 season, and their veteran player Ralph Sewer had two notable records at the time of his retirement following Woodville's last match. Firstly, he played in four decades (making his debut in 1969) and he was a grandfather when he played his last match, both unique in the SANFL.

Does anyone know if there are any other cases in the higher leagues (AFL/VFL, WAFL, VFA/VFL & other state leagues in Tas, NSW, ACT, Qld, NT) of players having careers spanning four decades or a player who was a grandfather playing senior football?

I was reading about the history of the Woodville Football Club prior to the merger with West Torrens at the end of the 1990 season, and their veteran player Ralph Sewer had two notable records at the time of his retirement following Woodville's last match. Firstly, he played in four decades (making his debut in 1969) and he was a grandfather when he played his last match, both unique in the SANFL.

Does anyone know if there are any other cases in the higher leagues (AFL/VFL, WAFL, VFA/VFL & other state leagues in Tas, NSW, ACT, Qld, NT) of players having careers spanning four decades or a player who was a grandfather playing senior football?
Vic Cumberland certainly did in the VFL/AFL (1898-1920): https://www.afltables.com/afl/stats/players/V/Vic_Cumberland.html

He never married according to this article: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ved-theres-life-after-40-20150506-ggvcyt.html

Last edited:

Barry Round began playing VFL with Footscray in 1969 and finished in 1991 playing for Williamstown in the VFA. Do not know of his grandfather status.

How is a club's number one ticket holder decided?
Does the prime minister automatically receive number one status for which ever club they support?
Is there also a number 2 ticket holder, and a number 3, etc, for each club?

Roy Cazaly played his last competition match in September 1941 (for Camberwell in VFA).
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/181712176

He played VFL 1910s & 1920s; Tas & VFA 1930s, and VFA 1940s.

Any chance we can keep the context of inquiry reserved for the VFL/AFL comp alone?

If you want to start a women's comp stat thread, then by all means.....Do so.
Not only did I start this thread, I started this forum. The thread is for football stats, be they VFL, AFL, VFA, SANFL, etc etc and yes, even AFLW.

You have a problem with women's football? Have you asked other people to create separate threads for VFA? SANFL? WAFL? No, I don't think you have.

Close. The Ballarat Football League was founded in 1893 so his initial football must have been just some local competition. Supposedly didn't play football in 1889 or 1890, and then played VFA (1891-1896) and WAFL (1896-1912).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Christy

Not only did I start this thread, I started this forum. The thread is for football stats, be they VFL, AFL, VFA, SANFL, etc etc and yes, even AFLW.

You have a problem with women's football? Have you asked other people to create separate threads for VFA? SANFL? WAFL? No, I don't think you have.

The 2 codes are hardly comparable.....It's absurd to think they bear any.

Hawthorn's 1991 team obviously won the premiership, but I don't recall a premiership team - or any team - thrashing so many different opponents in the same season. Hawthorn handed out hidings to Adelaide (63 points), Brisbane (87), Carlton (98), Collingwood (43), Essendon (80), Fitzroy (157 & 126), Melbourne (50), North Melbourne (64), Richmond (57), Sydney (91) and West Coast (53). In fact only three teams managed to avoid being thrashed by Hawthorn that season; Geelong (Cats won the only H & A match, Hawthorn won a close 2SF), Footscray (Bulldogs won early season match, Hawks won close game late in season) and St. Kilda (one game won by the Saints).

Are there any other teams that have thrashed so many different opponents in the same year the ruthless Hawks did back in 1991?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn's 1991 team obviously won the premiership, but I don't recall a premiership team - or any team - thrashing so many different opponents in the same season. Hawthorn handed out hidings to Adelaide (63 points), Brisbane (87), Carlton (98), Collingwood (43), Essendon (80), Fitzroy (157 & 126), Melbourne (50), North Melbourne (64), Richmond (57), Sydney (91) and West Coast (53). In fact only three teams managed to avoid being thrashed by Hawthorn that season; Geelong (Cats won the only H & A match, Hawthorn won a close 2SF), Footscray (Bulldogs won early season match, Hawks won close game late in season) and St. Kilda (one game won by the Saints).

Are there any other teams that have thrashed so many different opponents in the same year the ruthless Hawks did back in 1991?
Essendon in 2000 won 16 games (of 25 - 64%) by a margin of 40 points or greater. That is the biggest year ever for a team when it comes to "thrashings". They did win the flag that year, of course. Collingwood won 14/25 in 2011, Geelong 14/26 in 1992, and Hawthorn 14/26 in 1987 (by 40 points +).

In 1991 Hawthorn won 13/25 by 40 points +, in 1989 they won 13/24, and won 13/25 in 2012 and 13/26 in 2015 (by such a margin). Geelong had 13/26 in 1989 and 13/25 in 2007 and 2008, Carlton also had 13/25 such wins in 2000.

* Hawthorn beat Carlton by 44 points in their other clash that year.

Edit: I just read your post again and see that I may not quite have answered it correctly!! Essendon in 2000 thrashed (won by 40 points +) Adelaide (48), Brisbane (64), Carlton (45), Collingwood (40), Fremantle (87), Geelong (58), Hawthorn (47 & 83), Melbourne (60), North Melbourne (49 & 125), Port Adelaide (94), Richmond (43 & 101), St Kilda (86) and Western Bulldogs (63). Sydney and West Coast avoided being thrashed. So that's 13 of 15 teams Essendon did manage to thrash in that very dominant season - that at least beats Hawthorn's 11 of 14 opponents in 1991!!

Last edited:
Is there somewhere you can look at player ages in detail?

for example, if I wanted to know how many 34 year olds are still playing and who those players are, where you could you find that info?

for example, if I wanted to know how many 34 year olds are still playing and who those players are, where you could you find that info?
I know it's not exactly what you've asked for, but this still might be of interest to someone. It's based on player ages as of today:
upload_2018-4-6_14-56-4.png

https://www.draftguru.com.au/
https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2018

Draftguru does this (and a lot of other things) very well. You can at least go to e.g. the Fremantle page ( https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2018/fremantle ), click on Age to sort in order and see what each club has.

Depends what you call a thrashing.

In 2008, only Collingwood, Brisbane and Hawthorn didn't suffer 30+ point losses by Geelong.
In 1989, only Brisbane, Geelong and Melbourne didn't suffer 30+ point losses by Hawthorn.

In 2008, only Collingwood, Brisbane and Hawthorn didn't suffer 30+ point losses by Geelong.
In 1989, only Brisbane, Geelong and Melbourne didn't suffer 30+ point losses by Hawthorn.

My minimum margin for a thrashing is 60 points.

My minimum margin for a thrashing is 60 points.
I go with 40 points +! It's tricky when assessing games from yesteryear when scoring was so much lower, however.

After round 1, Gold Coast had the smallest total in the Points For column, and again have achieved this after round 3. Would it be correct to assume this is the first time Gold Coast have held this statistical honour?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back