Stats resources.

Remove this Banner Ad

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are we at all concerned that afl.com.au has wiped all its historical stats after the website rebrand? Can't even access last year's.

Let alone the Stats Pro section that had some stats other sites don't (e.g. hit outs to adv)

Thank Christ (or Paul) for afltables, but what are they doing at afl house? afltables may as well now be the official afl stats site.

Footywire goes alright too of course.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Are we at all concerned that afl.com.au has wiped all its historical stats after the website rebrand? Can't even access last year's.

Let alone the Stats Pro section that had some stats other sites don't (e.g. hit outs to adv)

Thank Christ (or Paul) for afltables, but what are they doing at afl house? afltables may as well now be the official afl stats site.

I presume you've seen this? It does at least suggest that Stats Pro will be back: https://www.afl.com.au/stats
1579683082516.png

I've no idea whether or not the old stuff will reappear, but if not that's very ordinary.

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Footywire has several (what they term 'advanced') stats that the AFL site didn't, and they publish them within minutes of a game finishing. Anyone know how they get hold of them? It would seem strange if they pay champion data for them and then publish them for free.

Last edited:

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond

It's super concerning and more than a bit frustrating!

Presumably it will return in some form at some point, but it's impossible to prepare anything for season 2020. There have been a few stats guys grouching on Twitter over summer.

Relatedly, my article: https://squiggle.com.au/all-i-want-for-christmas-is-an-afl-api/

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone else having issues using the Trove advanced search function? Can't seem to filter it to Victorian papers anymore.

Edit: Nevermind, the drop down only shows SA and NSW papers but if you type 'Vic' you can select them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone has hypothetically figured out a way to generate AFL website media token for the stats pro API, send us a message.

I've added another site to my little collection covering VFLW stats for 2021 (and onwards):

Unfortunately I haven't come up with much by way of statistics to cover earlier than that.

So I've now got
VFL/AFL (1897-)
AFLW (2017-)
VFL (2021-)
VFLW (2021-)

Did the AFL remove their Smart Replay or whatever it was called on their website? Timestamped stats. Can't find it anymore - was available within the last 2 years

You can still access it through the AFL App, but not the website anymore.

Yeah, figured that out since. For a second there I thought I had only remembered it in a fever dream.

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone use the afl app to watch vision of specific players?

Great 95% of the time, but for some reason, the footage from the eagles crows game is 3-4 seconds early. I'm trying to watch footage of young Eagles players because watching full games gives me nightmares atm 😄

But the footage cuts out just as the player grabs the ball or arrives at the contest. Super annoying. Is there a complaints or tech page I can contact?

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does anyone know if there is any repository of historical data for the 'tracker' functionality that the AFL makes available in game? It seems to disappear pretty quickly afterwards but I wonder if any person/people/community have been compiling that data over time...?

I've added another site to my little collection covering VFLW stats for 2021 (and onwards):

Unfortunately I haven't come up with much by way of statistics to cover earlier than that.

So I've now got
VFL/AFL (1897-)
AFLW (2017-)
VFL (2021-)
VFLW (2021-)
Finally finished a major upgrade I've had in progress for a bit.

New functionality:
  • Matches for a given team can be viewed not only by season, but also by venue, state, opponent and weather
  • Weather and temperature where available (generally since about 2010).
  • View historical "upcoming" graphs as they would have been before historical games
  • View year-by-year top goalkicker for each team (including finals) as well as league overall (H&A only - i.e. Coleman)
  • If you copy tables into BigFooty comments they copy much nicer (excluding the team logos)
  • It's much easier for me to maintain :cool:
Deployed across all sites.

Do let me know if I've broken stuff!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back