Stats you wish they had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I want to know how many nervous poos each team has before a game as it might be a good indication between the best teams and worst. If you can handle the pressure the best I'd assume you wouldn't need to be doing nervous poos.
The more nervous poos stat might indicate the more they might fumble a lot.

Basically what I'm saying is quality sides don't do nervous poo.
That is all.

What other Stats would you like to see but aren't recorded.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I would love a stat based on how hard a kick is vs the percentage of times the player pulled it off. It is easy to have a really good kicking efficiency if you only kick 20m and only kick backwards, but much harder to have a good one if a player is genuinely a really good kick and use that skill to take the game on, and kicking it far.

eg. Jake Lloyd probably has a great kicking efficiency, but I would take Lewis Jetta's kicking every day of the week as while Jetta's kicking efficiency may be lower (I don't know) Jetta goes for hard and long kicks that if they work gives his team a massive advantage.

- creative handballs
- kicks at full pace
- kicks to the advantage of teammates[

E.g. on the highlights of North vs Essendon they just showed Dylan Shiel on the end of a fast possession chain from the Bombers where in traffic he put the ball out in front of Fantasia who marked. Degree of difficulty on that kick is very high. A long high kick to a contest probably counts as an effective kick, but it wasn't the right option is the easy out for a player in that situation. You also see players handball around in circles but it takes skill to delay to the right moment (and take the hit) and put the ball to the advantage of a teammate to set them away.

I would love a stat based on how hard a kick is vs the percentage of times the player pulled it off. It is easy to have a really good kicking efficiency if you only kick 20m and only kick backwards, but much harder to have a good one if a player is genuinely a really good kick and use that skill to take the game on, and kicking it far.

eg. Jake Lloyd probably has a great kicking efficiency, but I would take Lewis Jetta's kicking every day of the week as while Jetta's kicking efficiency may be lower (I don't know) Jetta goes for hard and long kicks that if they work gives his team a massive advantage.
Think I remember reading about that stat or something to that effect in an AFL prospectus. Called kick ratings or something. But like all the good stats, the general public have absolutely no way of accessing them.

In the lead-in to the GF they have the stats for how many chips, hot dogs, pies, etc have been delivered. It really is a frightening amount.

It's the best stat of the year.

Here are are few I'd be interested in from days gone by:
-Parking tickets in Subi on footy days
-The KB bounce the ball and throw your arms out stat
-Distance Suma hooked the ball from boot to goal
-Marks taken by Umpires at Freo games
-Length of goal celebration (and degree of difficulty)
-Average yearly amount Dodoro over-rates his list on a sliding scale from "a little" to "you must be joking"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moral victories stat for coaches. Which coaches may have lost the match, but won the moral victory.

Burned stat for players. Who are the players that completely disregard teammates in better positions, points variable if they either turn the ball over to a direct opponent (2 points), or burn a teammate for a shot on goal and either score a behind (3 points) / out on the full (5 points).
Alternatively, who are the players often ignored by their teammates.

Hospital handballs. Track who is the s**t bloke who sets their teammate up to get railed by an opponent because they panicked and handballed to a teammate in a worse position.

Bonus: Inappropriate Interview stat. For keep track of the times journos, or whatever you would call those working for Channel 7, and the amount of times they talk to players when they shouldn't. Just like last night with Zorko as they were about to head up the race.

I would love a stat based on how hard a dick is vs the percentage of times the player pulled it off. It is easy to have a really good dicking efficiency if you only dick 20m and only dick backwards, but much harder to have a good one if a player is genuinely a really good dick and use that skill to take the game on, and dicking it far.

eg. Jake Lloyd probably has a great dicking efficiency, but I would take Lewis Jetta's dicking every day of the week as while Jetta's dicking efficiency may be lower (I don't know) Jetta goes for hard and long dicks that if they work gives his team a massive advantage.

I'd love to see:
-1-2 handball stats

-Goal assist stats categorised by "should have just kicked the goal themselves" v "actually assisted in creating a goal from a 50-50 situation"

-Probable goals given up. I think Champion Data have more than enough data to determine from which distance and angle a kick should be considered 'probable' to become a goal. So when you handball 15 meters out after a mark and stuff it up, or chip kick from 20 out to 30 out, or go a dribble kick and stuff it up running into an open goal, it's considered a 'goal given up'. Also applies to reversal free kicks.

As others have said, an actual efficiency kick rating. Rather than just having the top 50 DE% players in the comp all be defenders who largely 1) hit short targets from a mark or free (no pressure) and 2) kick over 40 meters to a contest (considered effective), we'd see who are actually the best kicks. Sam Mitchell tracks around 72-75% for the portion of his career that public stats are available, while Nathan Brown (the key defender) tracks around 85%+ his career. He is definitely reliable and efficient, I'm not arguing that, but it puts a bit of mayo on their true skill levels compared to a midfielder.

Double-doubles, triple-double, quadruple-doubles etc.
What would be harder to achieve?
quad double - 10 kicks, handballs, marks, tackles
5x5 - 5 kicks, handballs, marks, tackles & goals

I want to know how many nervous poos each team has before a game as it might be a good indication between the best teams and worst. If you can handle the pressure the best I'd assume you wouldn't need to be doing nervous poos.
The more nervous poos stat might indicate the more they might fumble a lot.

Basically what I'm saying is quality sides don't do nervous poo.
That is all.

What other Stats would you like to see but aren't recorded.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I’m more interested in the amount of nervous wees tbh

Weird OP but some good comments in here.

- Some sort of momentum measure. When you're at the ground you get an obvious feel for who's getting on top. But what is it? Some combo of clearances. , marks in a row, etc.
- How many times a player has appealed for a free kick unsuccessfully. Really need to highlight and shame this practice.
- Tackle effectiveness. How many/what percentage of attempted tackles actually stick.
- Decision making stat - of all available options, how many times did a player give it to a teammate in a worse position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back