Analysis Stats!

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies for putting these up late. I know youve all been desperate to find out just how many score involvements our backmen Smith, Henderson, Brown, Cheney, Talia, Hartigan and Lever were involved in Friday night... Their combined tally was a whopping 6. 6 score involvements between them... 3 of which came courtesy of Henderson... Good times and quality football!

Anyhow, here are the stats after round 8:

Metres Gained:
Meters Gained.PNG
Intercepts:
Intercepts.PNG
Intercept Marks:
Intercept Marks.PNG
Pressure Acts:
Pressure Acts.PNG
Score Involvements:
SI.PNG
Hitouts:
Hitouts.PNG
Frees:
FreesAde.PNG
FreesOpp.PNG

Team Stats:
AdeTeam.PNG
OppTeam.PNG

It's interesting to note that over the last couple of weeks, we have been comprehensively smashed in the ruck.

Adelaide ruckmen: 73 hitouts, 16 to adv (22%)
Opposition ruckmen: 86 hitouts, 32 to adv (37%)

And as such, the Bulldogs and Cats were able to create a tonne of scoring opportunites from stoppages.

vs Bulldogs: Adelaide 7 scoring shots from stoppages, Bulldogs 13
vs Geelong: Adelaide 8 scoring shots from stoppages, Geelong 13

Though funnily enough, due to the Cats poor kicking and our accuracy we managed to score more points overall form stoppages... Side note, Geelong were the first team all year to score more points than we were able to due to turn overs.

Also, this week sees Smith lose his mantle as our top average metres gained guy. That honour passes to the much maligned Ricky Henderson, who also averages the most intercept marks now from his two games. Huh. Who'd of thunk it.

Just talking ruck..
Been watching Sam all year and feel something isn't quite right, comparing stats of Goldstein & Nic Naitanui (I rate both highly)
their kick ave is close G = 7.3, NN = 6.5, S = 7.1, Handball ave G = 8.4, NN = 8.1, S = 9.1, Marks ave G = 3, NN = 2.9, S = 3.
But check out the tackle ave G = 2.9, NN 2.8 & S = 1.6 (down 56%).
Yes I am aware of the small sample size but when you watch the game, Sam just seems slower and less mobile this year for some reason.
Don't get me wrong Sam is a great ruck asset just trying to put my finger on why his effectiveness is down. I'm not sure where to get the stats on hits to advantage but this would be another good indicator.

Comments anyone?

Just talking ruck..
Been watching Sam all year and feel something isn't quite right, comparing stats of Goldstein & Nic Naitanui (I rate both highly)
their kick ave is close G = 7.3, NN = 6.5, S = 7.1, Handball ave G = 8.4, NN = 8.1, S = 9.1, Marks ave G = 3, NN = 2.9, S = 3.
But check out the tackle ave G = 2.9, NN 2.8 & S = 1.6 (down 56%).
Yes I am aware of the small sample size but when you watch the game, Sam just seems slower and less mobile this year for some reason.
Don't get me wrong Sam is a great ruck asset just trying to put my finger on why his effectiveness is down. I'm not sure where to get the stats on hits to advantage but this would be another good indicator.

Comments anyone?
If you go back about 10 posts you find the hitouts to advantage stat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure doesn't look like hendo was worst on ground :p
I actually find it really interesting that some people on this board dismiss statistics so readily - at least when it suits them that is. While they obviously don't provide the full picture, stats really do provide a solid basis for judging how players are travelling. The debate about Ricky Henderson is case in point. In his two games, he has provided an avenue out of defence and a lot of drive off the backline and - though it is a small sample size - is currently:

1st for metres gained (552m)
1st for rebound 50s (7.00)
1st for marks (8.5)
1st for intercept marks (2.00)
4th (equal) for bounces (0.5)
5th for disposals (23.00)
5th for Effective Disposal % (78.26)
6th for intercepts (3.5)

Additionally, the criticisms of him not being particularly "hard" seem to also stack up well.

Last in contested possessions (3.50)
Equal last - with Talia and Lever - in tackles (1.00)
No contested marks

It's a pretty decent overview of the type of player Henderson is and what he offers the team. He might not be everybody's cup of tea as a player, but you can't deny that he does some things pretty darn well.

After Round 9 ...

r9_rankings.png

So:
  • North have had it easy so far ... and they will be found out if they are pretenders in the remainder of the year (Easiest start, toughest run home)
  • Teams like Geelong and Sydney have much tougher runs home too, so we will see
  • West Coast have been kissed on the proverbial, 16th hardest fixture over the whole season
  • GWS have an easier run home than anyone else in the top 8 - eeeeek!
  • Things get easier for the Hawks and the Crows from now on - but not much easier
  • Hawks have the toughest fixture for the season, and it appears to be taking it's toll
  • Melbourne have had it much easier than I thought, 16th hardest so far.
  • Collingwood and Port have it tough to break into the 8
  • Carlton have had it easy, and it doesn't really get tough from here on either
  • St Kilda should continue to climb for the rest of the season, having had the 2nd toughest start - and the 15th toughest coming home
  • Not much to talk about in the bottom except maybe Brisbane getting some relief

Looking at the number of times everyone plays / has played top 4 and top 8 teams:

r9_top4top8.png

Anything of interest here:
  • North again have not been tested - but get 9 more top 8 teams (lots more than everyone else in the 8) including a fair few of them away
  • Geelong only have to play one 5-8 team (no top 4) away for the rest of the year
They say the first 10 rounds sorts everything out, we will see. I can see the Top 8 staying the same but some definite movement within that 8.

Interesting statistic;

Adelaide is the highest scoring side since the Hawthorn 2013 team. We are currently averaging 114 points a game. We are likely to increase that further as our draw starts opening up.

Adelaide also holds the competitions highest scores against;

Sydney 113 points
GWS 107 points
Western Bulldogs 108 points
St Kilda equal 133 points with Port

We have scored 109 points more than then the 2nd ranked team for points scored. That's a games worth of scoring.

And we have hardly played any of the bottom teams.

Our forward line is amazing.
Imagine how much we would have scored if playing under the roof of the Dome every week like some... who seem more intent on lower scoring games...

Ok, so I just grabbed the Crows app which lists the metres gained stats.

Player: Round 11 (Average - presumably for the season)

Brodie Smith: 591 (582.6)
Paul Seedsman: 483 (372.5)
Jarryd Lyons: 439 (284.5)
Rory Sloane: 406 (325.1)
Matt Crouch: 365 (216.8)
Josh Jenkins: 356 (240.2)
Sam Jacobs: 334 (179.9)
Rory Laird: 314 (344)
Richard Douglas: 302 (307.4)
Daniel Talia: 301 (228)
Ricky Henderson: 299 (391.7)
Jake Lever: 250 (237.1)