Statue for SOS

Remove this Banner Ad

SOS: We rate Martin really highly, but not highly enough to actually pay Gold Coast what hes worth so we'll just refuse their requests and hope to get him in the drafting stages.

Carlton supporters "sos is a genius for pulling this off"

SOS: We rate Martin really highly, but not highly enough to actually pay Gold Coast what hes worth so we'll just refuse their requests and hope to get him in the drafting stages.

In a ridiculous thread, you’ve managed to make a more idiotic call than the OP. Kudos.

He's done a great job, but this thread is not about him.

The op literally asked people to name one list manager who has done a better job

In a ridiculous thread, you’ve managed to make a more idiotic call than the OP. Kudos.

I for one hope you take this stance on ALL possible future trades.

Just tell whoever wants to come to you that they'll be going to the draft so you dont have to pay too much for them.

SOS genius at work!

can anyone name a list manager that has done such a good job over a 5 year period.
Not sure if this statement is serious. Before sacking their coach and getting a few end of season meaningless wins in response to that hadn't Carlton only won 3 games in 35 or something ridiculous? Now off a couple of unproven draft hauls and getting an average Jack Martin you are calling SOS the messiah like he has orchestrated some miraculous club recovery.

Without even thinking Il give you a better list manager since 2014, Richmond's. List managers actually work within list management teams so its more than an individual but anyway.

Brought in guys like Caddy, Prestia, Nankervis, Lynch and drafted guys like Stack, Ross, Pickett among other contributors since 2014. Guys that have done something for a team that's won 2 flags in 3 years and finished top in between.

Carlton have achieved nothing. They have been embarrassing. SOS has achieved nothing. Your post is embarrassing.

Last edited:
Looking at he results so far I wouldn't say he has done a great job, but too early to say he did a bad job either. Carlton are still struggling towards the bottom of the ladder five years after coming to Carlton. The biggest names he manage to get over from other clubs to Carlton are Marchbank and Martin which I have them as C+ players at best.

However saying that, there is still a lot of water to run under the bridge to see how he went as a list manager. It has to acknowledged he came over when Carltons lis t was atrocious and many of the draftees picked are still of from reaching their peak. A fair few of them look promising though.

On the surface it looks like he's had a fair success at picking players with the earlier picks (which is usually no tg that hard when having that many), he is not that great with the later picks or rookie drafts.

I don't think that there is any doubt that SOS deserves, and will get a statue in his honour. Greatest full back of all time, and now the greatest list manager of all time.

Personally, I would like to see THREE statues for him.

1. Immediately to the west of Tullamarine airport and approximately 500 metres tall (Statue of Liberty is 93 metres tall for reference). This is to ensure that every person arriving into and leaving Melbourne will be able to see the great man and serves as the perfect introduction and exit from Melbourne and I'm sure all Victorians would agree with me on this point.

2. Fort Nepean, on the very tip of the eastern peninsula at the head of Port Phillip Bay. This statue would welcome all visitors to Melbourne by boat and serve as sentry and defender of the great city of Melbourne. I would estimate the height of this statue to be in the vicinity of 800-1000 metres, making it one of the tallest and largest structures on the planet. Only fitting given the greatness of the man it is celebrating.

3. Overlooking the MCG. A great final monument to the greatest of them all. Overlooking The World's Most Livable City, home of football and where SOS performed his best work (though don't tell Jo that!). One foot in the corner of Punt Rd and Brunton Ave and the other foot over the railway in the corner of Olympic Blvd and Punt Rd. Both these areas are basically unused wastelands at the moment and would serve perfectly as the foundations for a statue reaching almost 1.5km into the Melbourne skyline. An iconic monument for an iconic city, and more importantly an iconic human being.

I'm sure all footy fans and Melbournians would agree with me that these three modest homages to the greatest to ever play the game is only appropriate. Not only that, but they would serve as beacons, calling visitors from all around the world to marvel in their size and glory. It would be a tourism bonanza.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this statement is serious. Before sacking their coach and getting a few end of season meaningless wins in response to that hadn't Carlton only won 3 games in 35 or something ridiculous? Now off a couple of unproven draft hauls and getting an average Jack Martin you are calling SOS the messiah like he has orchestrated some miraculous club recovery.

Without even thinking Il give you a better list manager since 2014, Richmond's. They actually work as teams so its more than an individual but anyway.

Brought in guys like Caddy, Prestia, Nankervis, Lynch and drafted guys like Stack, Ross, Pickett among other contributors since 2014. Guys that have done something for a team that's won 2 flags in 3 years and finished top in between.

Carlton have achieved nothing. They have been embarrassing. SOS has achieved nothing. Your post is embarrassing.

I reckon any chump could build a team around Rance, Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Grimes and Edwards.

That was work done around 10-12 years ago. Patience please.

Without even thinking Il give you a better list manager since 2014, Richmond's. They actually work as teams so its more than an individual but anyway.

Go wank about Richmond somewhere else. I could list 15-20 players since 2015 that Richmond have drafted or traded that are rubbish. You just named 7 players. Your grand finals are off the back of a great game plan which accentuates your strengths (running and pressure) and doesn’t compromise your weaknesses (kicking efficiency).

sos could of drafted a list to contend for a finals win 2-3 years ago but he thought long term as he once mentioned in an interview with FC. This list will be ******* special in the years to come. Even as soon as 2020. Just when Richmond’s 30 year olds start slowing down. You can’t rely on rance (30 year old ACL survivor), grimes, Cotchin, Houli, Reiwoldt. They’ll be falling off the cliff very soon. But enough about Richmond. This is about the SOS statue. What pose should they go with. Maybe this one.

CEBE7E04-0344-4B39-852E-E799E49A4C5B.jpeg

The op literally asked people to name one list manager who has done a better job
I specifically called for an example of a list manager that got 3 firsts for 1. You could argue SOS got 4 with the lack of first trading for Martin. Huge draft for Carlton. Goes nicely with the Walsh/stocker year followed by the Weitering/Curnow/mckay year.

I specifically called for an example of a list manager that got 3 firsts for 1. You could argue SOS got 4 with the lack of first trading for Martin. Huge draft for Carlton. Goes nicely with the Walsh/stocker year followed by the Weitering/Curnow/mckay year.

You did not ask that at all

Bigfooty: "lol Martin isn't even that good! ...Also, Blues should have paid top dollar."

Don't blame Carlton for the Suns wanting to 'send a message' at Martin's expense. Backed up their fighting words nicely by trading Pick 11 for Pick 27 :drunk:

Another wasteland thread filled with BF trash looking to troll and cheap shot each others clubs. Sometimes a wonder if Bigfooty have any other kind of thread :straining:

On the topic at hand in the OP, I actually think Carlton are building a proper team this time around, plenty of young talent and should start to move up the ladder sooner rather than later, 2021 is my guess for a surge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back