News Staying: Knight says GTFO Carlton you losers, signs one more year

What will we get for Riley?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Shorty,

I usually enjoy your posts but your allowing your bias to cloud your judgement.

you don‘t respect Knight as a footballer, fair enough. This year i thought he fumbled plenty and looked lost.

However before that he twice tagged Selwood, and twice curbed his influence (evidence based). He clearly got under his skin and twice the Crows beat the cats (outcomes). That is the job of tagging. its a strange choice to pick on these performances.

regardless of his future endeavours it appears disingenuous when you attempt to discredit those performances.
Evidence based ?? He had plenty of influence in all games we played against them.... Knights influence was greatly overrated. In games against us in 2017 he averaged over 30 disposals. In 2018 he had 29. I dont have to try to discredit anything, a tiny little bit of statistical analysis does that for me.

He is afforded a lot of leeway on this board and I cannot for the life of me work out why.

Put him in one bloody position, that suits his strengths, and see if he can develop into a quality player.

Stop using him as a bit part player and shuffling him into a variety of different positions and roles (STOP DOING THIS WITH EVERYONE, PLEASE).
Add Milera to this list...

He played his best football when he was played in the easiest place on the ground.
Play players to their strengths is such a simple concept many coaches ignore...

Best to settle younger players to gain confidence.

Evidence based ?? He had plenty of influence in all games we played against them.... Knights influence was greatly overrated. In games against us in 2017 he averaged over 30 disposals. In 2018 he had 29. I dont have to try to discredit anything, a tiny little bit of statistical analysis does that for me.

He is afforded a lot of leeway on this board and I cannot for the life of me work out why.
Selwood played against us 3 times in 17, one of those times Knight didn’t play and Selwood had 35 possessions.

You also said he tagged in 2019 when he clearly didn’t.

Irrespective you’re not taking into account when we’ve played a tagger in the limited time we have, we use a “cooler” rather than a hard tag.

And it’s ridiculous that you’re referring to 2 games in 2017 and 1 in 2018 as statistical evidence of what Knight could achieve and develop into playing a hard tag each week.

Play players to their strengths is such a simple concept many coaches ignore...

Best to settle younger players to gain confidence.
My point is he has many many strengths, makes him the perfect utility.

I would have preferred Cam Ellis-Yolmen as a tagger over Knight, because CEY can actually win the ball and impact the other way, which is crucial for an elite tagger.

CEY was also very good defensively in close, with tackling at stoppages and blocks. His bigger body would have allowed him to tag bigger players like Fyfe and Cripps quite effectively.

OK, I guess?

Anyway. Just another sign that AFC should be congratulated for their outstanding PR damage control. It's only taken a month to turn the crowd demanding an overhaul of the entire club into one that celebrates the re-signing of Riley Knight.

you seeing celebration in here? Seems much more half disgust and half conditional approval.

I would have preferred Cam Ellis-Yolmen as a tagger over Knight, because CEY can actually win the ball and impact the other way, which is crucial for an elite tagger.

CEY was also very good defensively in close, with tackling at stoppages and blocks. His bigger body would have allowed him to tag bigger players like Fyfe and Cripps quite effectively.
Nowhere near the endurance/running power required for a tagger, not even close.

My point is he has many many strengths, makes him the perfect utility.
Once he has settled in the side & playing consistent football... however we have moved Milera around as an utility & his form has suffered because he doesn't have the necessary experience.

The only time he was playing great football was when we settled him on a HBF & that is not a coincidence!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

please, lift the curtain, that is not statistical analysis. Move down from the cheap seats and get a better view.

r11 2017 Knight doesn’t play, In that game Selwood racks up 35 possessions, 21 contested at 88% de with 10 clearances, 10 score involvements, zero turnovers, 1 goal.

r18 in 2017 Knight holds him to 26 Possessions (6 frees), 13 contested, 3 turnovers, 1 Clanger, only 4 score involvements and 5 clearances.

rd17 in 2018 Selwood’s 29 possessions looks ok 13 contested, till you look at 6 clangers, 9 turnovers, only 63% de and 4 score involvements, 3 clearances and he gave away 3 frees for only 1 received.

no leeway should be afforded, he was underwhelming in 2019 in a big way.

not sure how you qualify an effective tagging job but I’d suggest it’s unique.

Back