CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
His best position is inside midfield.
IN fact its his only real position. He can rest forward but I dont think he could play as a permanent forward.
I think Greenwood's a utility who could be played anywhere (ok, not lead ruck), but starting at half-forward (or even full-forward). He could be moved from there into the midfield when we need some hard-tackling mongrel and clean hands in there to stop a flow of clearances against us. He could play loose man in defence if needed.
The Crows don't have enough players with hard-tackling mongrel to be able to let Greenwood go, but the sticking point seems to be contract length. Maybe that's a smokescreen for deeper, internal issues, anybody know?

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Greenwood go, but the sticking point seems to be contract length. Maybe that's a smokescreen for deeper, internal issues, anybody know?

They don't want to offer a 27 year old, who has inconsistent output a 4 year contract when they are trying to rejuvenate their list?

I'd say the answer is pretty obvious.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
They don't want to offer a 27 year old, who has inconsistent output a 4 year contract when they are trying to rejuvenate their list? I'd say the answer is pretty obvious.
Yep, I get that.
1) I said "the sticking point seems to be contract length ", which you agree is the obvious answer.
2) How many best-25 players have "consistent output" ie play to a high standard, consistently, week after week? The answer lies in the voting for Club Champion (say, the top 6 or so), in which Greenwood did not rate in our Top 10:

So, being highly rated by or popular with supporters does not reflect how players are viewed internally by those who count eg Eddie who is enormously popular was not rated Top-10, either.

(Btw, it was an interesting surprise to see Adelaide BF's favourite whipping boy, Mackay, poll tenth according to that same site, which is why he was selected, week after week. Atkins was ranked EIGHTH o_O o_O!!)

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep, I get that.
1) I said "the sticking point seems to be contract length ", which you agree is the obvious answer.
2) How many best-25 players have "consistent output" ie play to a high standard, consistently, week after week? The answer lies in the voting for Club Champion (say, the top 6 or so), in which Greenwood did not rate in our Top 10:

So, being highly rated by or popular with supporters does not reflect how players are viewed internally by those who count eg Eddie who is enormously popular was not rated Top-10, either.

(Btw, it was an interesting surprise to see Adelaide BF's favourite whipping boy, Mackay, poll tenth according to that same site, which is why he was selected, week after week. Atkins was ranked EIGHTH o_O o_O!!)

Viewed internally by the coaches who are subject to an external review, and highly likely to be given the boot.

I think you're right. It's urgent, and it's a rebuild.
I would not consider Keath and Greenwood to be "fringe players", nor even JJ whose problem is consistency/attitude, not size or ability.
Pre-bye, posters in here were ebullient about Keath's rise --- a future star, AA form etc --- with good reason. He was playing really well. I understand why Jacobs/Betts/Keath/Greenwood and even Crouch are seeking longer contracts than those offered by the Crows, but their stated intention to leave before a new Coach has been found is troubling.
Also, all the noise and bluster about those players and Pyke's 'resignation' are welcome diversions away from the accountability of the real culprits of the Crows' failures --- specifically Chapman/Fagan/Roo/Burton/Hass and Campo/Hart, who will be happy that the spotlight has been deflected away from them.
(Edit: I'd like the "rebuild" to be less urgent/hasty and more thorough)

Not really for most of them, as the only way we should be keeping any of them is heavily on our terms (ignoring that it is very likely Crouch stays).

We need to rebuild, and none of them are good pieces to retain. Either by being a piece that isn't suited to it (i.e. Greenwood), too old (Betts/Jenkins) or playing in a position that makes it a silly move to retain them (Keath).

It's not about cutting fringe players. It's about cutting those who don't suit our mid to long term needs. None of them do.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep, I get that.

Hasn’t Hugh been saying all year that we haven’t even been willing to talk to him? It could be that we had his papers stamped from a long way out. It might not even be anything to do with his football. From a list management point of view we decided to sacrifice him Bernie Vince style. I found it odd what he had been saying from a long time ago.

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
Hasn’t Hugh been saying all year that we haven’t even been willing to talk to him? It could be that we had his papers stamped from a long way out. It might not even be anything to do with his football. From a list management point of view we decided to sacrifice him Bernie Vince style. I found it odd what he had been saying from a long time ago.

Except B Vince got us M Crouch....

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
G
I think Greenwood's a utility who could be played anywhere (ok, not lead ruck), but starting at half-forward (or even full-forward). He could be moved from there into the midfield when we need some hard-tackling mongrel and clean hands in there to stop a flow of clearances against us. He could play loose man in defence if needed.
The Crows don't have enough players with hard-tackling mongrel to be able to let Greenwood go, but the sticking point seems to be contract length. Maybe that's a smokescreen for deeper, internal issues, anybody know?

Greenwood doesnt really have 'tackling mongrel'
Kinda defeats the whole post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I'd disagree with that. Very strong tackler, very rarely broken. Also sits =15th for tackles per game in the AFL and was our leader in that stat this year.

Hes a decent tackler but hes not a 'hunter' tackler with mongrel.
Thats more of a reflection of our disgusting tackling.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Greenwood doesnt really have 'tackling mongrel'
Kinda defeats the whole post.
James_37 and spexau got there before me :thumbsu: .
You haven't helped yourself with this:
I wasnt.
Just saying he doesnt have 'mongrel'
He just tackles lots because he is entirely inside. He's good at it, sure.
which kinda defeats the whole post :) ("lots" = mongrel).
Would you say that Rory Sloane has 'tackling mongrel'? I would, and Sloane averaged 5.9 tackles/game.
Greenwood, 6, ie our best tackler, with Sloane.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
James_37 and spexau got there before me :thumbsu: .
You haven't helped yourself with this:

which kinda defeats the whole post :) ("lots" = mongrel).
Would you say that Rory Sloane has 'tackling mongrel'? I would, and Sloane averaged 5.9 tackles/game.
Greenwood, 6, ie our best tackler, with Sloane.

He doesnt tackle with 'mongrel' though.
He tackles, sure, but I call mongrel what Fogarty or Mumford does. Not just simply tackling them (and then given how nice Hugh is probably apologizing afterwards)
Sloane tackles with a lot more ferocity than Greenwood, but I wouldnt call either 'mongrel'

I dont know what dictionary you have but lots and mongrel aren't a synonym in any world.

If you said he was a good or prolific tackler sure...

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
What an irrelevant attribute

Exactly. Who the hell cares if they’re a bit mean or angry when they tackle? Personally I’d rather watch a guy run someone down and ping him holding the ball, grab and hold a tackle locking the ball inside our 50 than see a few HULK SMASH angry boy tackles. Every day of the week.

Successful tacklers > some weird immeasurable ‘mongrel’

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What an irrelevant attribute

What, aggression?

Severely underrated attribute.

One that Adelaide players rarely have.

In fact, the whole club lacks it and its one of the major reasons we are where we are right now.
We are just full of safe decisions and players.

We refuse to make aggressive plays on or off the field.

Last edited:
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I get the thinly veiled attempt to diminish my opinion, but do you really think this club has the required level of aggression? On and off the field?
You've picked an odd target, honing in on the player with the highest percentage of contested possessions in the history of AFL football and who is also a tackling beast

Plenty of other targets

Back