Toast Steele & Geary co-captains, leadership group announced

Nice to see Dougs and Wilkie also get in there. From a rookie listed player 2 years ago to the leadership group. Pretty remarkable.

Kind of obvious now that Steeley will take over in 2022.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
Disagree with co-captains, but Steele has earned the role. Premiership captain I reckon.
Curious what you disagree with about co-captains?

You do realise if we had appointed Steele and we go backwards this year and miss the finals - he will be under the gun from everyone outside the club.

This is about transitioning a key role and shouldering the load.

Jack will get the fan fare and the media duties for the practice games, gears probably leads as the club face during his recovery and the real stuff nears/starts.

It also protects against making Geary rush back. We have a skipper on the park.

It is a great decision and if it works I hope we consider promoting someone else next season into gears role.

For a long time we “lacked” true leaders. I know we have a great leadership group now but I would love a few boys having the mantle of skipper and learning about bleeding red white and black and guiding these boys in the field.

Great decision
Transition executed
Smart

Steelo capt
tenor.gif

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Not normally a fan of co-captains but in our situation I think it's a good move, the captain elect Steele gets to learn the captaincy ropes from the incumbent Geary.

Geary is no longer a guaranteed starter for us either due to injuries, form or matchups so we need another captain that should be a guaranteed starter for us.

The season hasn't even started and we're already kicking goals.

giphy.gif

Significant

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Has there ever been a current rookie-listed player included in a teams leadership group before?

Wilkie surely is making history here.

Maybe some older blokes may have got moved on to the rookie list in their later years and still retained leadership duties, but can't recall someone drafted on the RL who has been included without being promoted first...

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Leadership groups weren't a thing back when I started supporting the Saints around 30 years ago, Frawley was our captain and that was the leadership group.

We had other leaders back then like Burke, Loewe, Lockett, Harvey. Winmar and Ralphsmith but they didn't need to be put into a leadership group to lead.

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Has there ever been a current rookie-listed player included in a teams leadership group before?

Wilkie surely is making history here.

Maybe some older blokes may have got moved on to the rookie list in their later years and still retained leadership duties, but can't recall someone drafted on the RL who has been included without being promoted first...

It is impressive, but I think the Rookie List as it stands is effectively defunct? Does it even play a role at the moment with respect to players not being able to play or wait for an injury kinda thing?

It is impressive, but I think the Rookie List as it stands is effectively defunct? Does it even play a role at the moment with respect to players not being able to play or wait for an injury kinda thing?

It more about the classification of wages within the salary cap nowadays.

Jay Beast

Team Captain
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Having a leader onfield who can drag the team back into the contest through his own inspirational acts has been sorely missing for a long time.
Steeley is the man to do it.
Thrilled by this move & co-captains is definitely the way to go.

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Smart move to ease Steele into the role.

Would back Steele to be the standalone captain in 2022 but if he doesn't carry the role as well as we hope we have the opportunity to give another candidate (Howard would be my preference) a chance to replace Geary and they can continue to share the responsibility. Hopefully won't be necessary as I'm confident Steele will thrive.

Surprised Roma didn't make the leadership group, would have thought he would be a better option than Billings but a few people have reported that JB is doing some great work behind the scene so I'm sure it's well a well deserved appointment.

Coff, Paton and King will be leaders long term so it feels like we're moving away from the leadership void of recent years back to the riches we had in the GT/RL era.

RWBlyf

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jarryn Geary: The Jack Steele I know
https://www.saints.com.au/news/862102

Jarryn Geary: The Jack Steele I know
https://www.saints.com.au/news/862102

That’s a great read and offers plenty of insight into why Geary is so well respected at the club too.

Back