Player Watch Steele Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

You know every week what you're going to get from Sidey, he's as consistent as anyone in the league. Super important for us as a team.

It depends how many you have in that Elite bracket, He wouldn't be in the top 10 midfielders in the comp so in my view not in that top echelon, but would be in that next bracket knocking down the door

Is it possible for an elite player to squib now and then?
Yeah, just like it's possible to be a Pies supporter and a cringeworthy fruitcake at the same time ....

He was last year, especially to us. No coincidence our form dropped after his suspension.

A few efforts today from Steele were very unlike Steele. Wonder if his hand is still playing up on him, I've never really noticed him slowing down for a 50/50 but did it a few times today. All in all, im stoked to have him back and don't even leave us again :hearts::hearts::hearts:

It's easy to forget that he is only 24 years old because he's been around for such a long time. We can look forward to another 7+ years of Sidey.

I'd almost say 10 based on his durability + more outside style of gameplay which should hold his body in good stead. Seems like he'd still have the hunger for it too.

As for the OP, as plenty have stated he's been 'elite' for a while. I personally judge 'elite' by position, and for midfielders as the top 30 by that position, and he's been towards the back of that group for a while. If he plays like he has in his three games this year consistently he'll be pushing top 15, or even top 10 IMO.

I'd almost say 10 based on his durability + more outside style of gameplay which should hold his body in good stead. Seems like he'd still have the hunger for it too.

As for the OP, as plenty have stated he's been 'elite' for a while. I personally judge 'elite' by position, and for midfielders as the top 30 by that position, and he's been towards the back of that group for a while. If he plays like he has in his three games this year consistently he'll be pushing top 15, or even top 10 IMO.

Bloody hope so! He doesn't have great pace so that won't drop off and be an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to forget that he is only 24 years old because he's been around for such a long time. We can look forward to another 7+ years of Sidey.

Yep. Injuries aside, he is the sort of player that could play into his mid-30s. Doesn't rely on speed, explosiveness or strength.

As others have said, he has been elite since last year.

He is well on the way to elite and he has taken up the slack with the departure of Beams and is still only 24,very happy with the form of steele.We really missed him the games he was out,he has so much natural aerobic capacity I could see him playing for another decade.

He was outstanding against the Lions and we really missed him after he was injured that night.

Last edited:
Legend! I think he may be a tad underrated in terms of the competition! Just wished that left foot kick around the body late in the last sailed through! Was a brilliant display of confidence in his skills! About 40-45 out with a wet pill and his has the confidence to go on his opposite......

Speaking of late, loved when Swanny took that mark and kicked the goal..... just watch him walk away with real swagger! Such a boss!

He has been elite for a couple of years now, comes back from a broken hand and has to 30+ games, the fact he also uses the ball well means potentially 60 possies to our advantage in the last 2 games.... elite? dam straight he is.

Sidebottom has always looked like he has the most talent on the Pies since 2010... in the preceding years he has been excellent but has had a stagnation the last 2 years...but lately he has stepped it up and proving he is a top 15 talent in the league.
Just oozing with class, high IQ, great hand and foot skills, very poised.

If he played with urgency every game and a little bit more strength and bravado... he could be a top 5 AFL player. He is so talented and gifted.
stagnation the last 2 years ? wow. he was 2nd in our B&F last year. I though last year he went from A grader to elite. and he has proven that again this year.

He is playing like an A grader right now. But I'll still consider him a B+ until he continues this level for a whole season.
This is where I see him also. Stepped up last year to just below an A grader and if continues this years current form will be A grade by years end. All depends how you grade this. A grade players are fairly rare, some teams down the ladder may not have anyone. Carlton for instance, Judd is A grade but not anymore, Murphy got there briefly but faded, Gibbs never has and that it. Simpson B+ at his best. Most teams have one or two and the top teams a sprinkling

At Collingwood

Pendles and Swan are A grade

Cloke was but has slipped for now

Sidey and Elliott are threatening and Reid at his best is also

I have been his harshest critic.

Not quite good enough as a mid, not quite good enough as a forward flanker.

Now that Beams has left he certainly has stepped up and I can comfortably call him elite.

His kicking is safe without be penetrating, he is composed and reliable.

I have been his harshest critic.

Not quite good enough as a mid, not quite good enough as a forward flanker.

Now that Beams has left he certainly has stepped up and I can comfortably call him elite.

His kicking is safe without be penetrating, he is composed and reliable.

Perhaps youre just not a very good judge. He has played exactly 2 full games since Beams left the club. Are you saying he just became elite in the last two weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back