Player Watch Steele Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

He has seemed more urgent so far this year and we really missed his tireless ability to work up and down the ground to provide a linking option.

I want to see him over a longer period, as I have been critical of him in the past in undoing a lot his work by doing something incredibly dumb or lazy with the ball, or becoming to crabby with his possessions. He has the potential to be one of the better outside mids in the comp.

I don't think he is an elite player but is certainly a grade. Although a different style of player I could see him being classified at the Corey Enright type level by the end of his career which I expect will be long. A very very good player who plays 250+ games , in good teams and with 3 or premiership medals in his collection

Thought he made the jump late last season when he was 1 of the few remaining fit senior players carrying the team.

You know every week what you're going to get from Sidey, he's as consistent as anyone in the league. Super important for us as a team.

It depends how many you have in that Elite bracket, He wouldn't be in the top 10 midfielders in the comp so in my view not in that top echelon, but would be in that next bracket knocking down the door

Just out of interest, who were the 10 who's round 9 performances had them ahead of Sidebottom?

What does elite mean anyway ? Sidey is definitely in our top 3 or 4. The perception issue with him is always gonna be he is not your bash and barge type mid fielder like Swan, Selwood or Fyfe. But as long as we have a few of those to get the ball out who cares. Crisp & De Goey in the side will make Sidey look even better....I'm sure he misses Luke Ball. But for ball usage, few are better.

stagnation the last 2 years ? wow. he was 2nd in our B&F last year. I though last year he went from A grader to elite. and he has proven that again this year.
Thats more of a in-team competition to finish 2nd in B&F.
This season, with Beams gone, Sidebottom has become part of the more critical plays in the game... he has always oozed class, but this season from the games I've seen, he has become impactful. IMO he is still second to Pendles but if he continues to become impactful, he may rub shoulders with Pendles as the 2 best players on the Pies. His skills is so sublime.

Interestingly, he has jumped up one place each year at the Copeland. Due for 2nd place this year if that trend continues.

I wouldn't say 'elite', but he isn't far off. I always felt like Sidebottom was somewhat of an unfulfilled talent, particularly following his performance in 2010 Grand Final replay. Up until last season he always seemed to have a penchant for starting seasons at an exceptionally high standard before drifting out of form as the year progressed, which was frustrating. Whilst his absolute best might not be as devastating as what it was, the past couple of seasons he's become so reliable with his output and been able to maintain a consistent A-/A standard of footy on a week-to-week basis. More time spent in the midfield as our stocks have thinned has certainly helped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sharing of midfield responsibilities among second tier players has allowed Sidey a little more impact in and around the contest. I rate his evasiveness and composure in traffic second only to Pendles and he's got the tank to run and reach just about every contest with energy to spare. He's still used primarily as a wingman, but there is a small shift in his numbers in the admittedly small sample size. A little more contested possessions, a little more clearances and a little less uncontested possession. The more rounded game he's playing is doing wonders for our team.

No doubt he is elite been elite since mid way through last year

I agree totally. This guy is an A grade talent who would walk into the starting 22 of any team in the league. The great news is that he has not yet reached his peak.

Done deal, had no concern about him, He loves the club and loves wearing Black and White. SideBySidebottom.
Thanks for the inspirational tag #sidebysidebottom. Let's make it trending

Remove this Banner Ad

Back