Traded Stefan Martin (2012-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty pumped for Stef to come back in. With Oscar improving his ruckwork we have a strong ruck combo to handle most opposition rucks and Oscar can get back to taking more big pack marks.
Took him a little while to get back up to speed after the knee.
And then his back injury came after his best game once he had come back, which was a shame.
But we are a better team with him in it, I don’t think there is any doubt about that.
Especially as it does allow Oscar more time up forward.

BRISBANE stalwart Stefan Martin won't know his playing future until the AFL makes a call on list sizes for 2021, with a real chance he could be squeezed out after 133 games in eight seasons.

Lions head of football David Noble said Martin – who turns 34 next month – was in a tough spot.

"We're in a real flux with the TPP and list numbers," Noble told AFL Trade Radio.

"Stef fits into that unfortunately, he's been here and helped us through some really tough periods and we'd love to have more clarity not only for ourselves, but for Stef, to be able give him a better indication.

"We certainly see him as a player we've got some interest in, but we just don't know what it looks like with the list numbers.

"Unfortunately, it's not a great position to be in as a club, with a person as valued as Stef, but it's pretty much tied up with where the damn list numbers are and the TPP."

Athletic Brisbane Lions ruckman Stefan Martin is set to join the Bulldogs as much-needed support for talented young ruck Tim English whom the Dogs admitted needed a seasoned ruckman to help shoulder the ruck burden in a long season.

The 33-year-old uncontracted player is expected to be a cheap trade. He would have been eligible for free agency, having served eight years at the Lions, but the free agency deadline is a day away. A trade is required unless he is delisted and able to move as a delisted free agent.

Thank you, Stef

The Brisbane Lions would like to thank Stef Martin for his services to the Club and wish him all the best for the future.

Martin will continue his career at the Western Bulldogs after the two Clubs entered into a three-way trade agreement with North Melbourne.

The Lions will send Martin to the Bulldogs and draft pick 70 to the Kangaroos and receive draft pick 63 in return.

The 33-year-old joined the Lions for the 2013 season after playing 57 games over five years for Melbourne and emerged as one of the premier ruckmen in the league while in Brisbane.

Martin played 133 of his 190 games for the Lions and was the 2015 Merrett-Murray medallist as Club Champion.

He broke through for his maiden finals campaign in 2019, his 12th season in the AFL, and was named the Lions’ Best Finals Player.

Lions GM of Football David Noble thanked the veteran ruckman for his contribution.

“In thanking Stef, we all think of his total contribution to our club over the years he has been here and the absolute and total professionalism he has not only displayed himself, but embedded through our playing group,’’ he said.

“His leadership has grown enormously in the recent years as part of the senior leadership group.

“I’m sure his journey still has some way to go and we wish him well.”

Thank you, Stef

Stefan Martin departs The Den

The Brisbane Lions would like to thank Stef Martin for his services to the Club and wish him all the best for the future.

Martin will continue his career at the Western Bulldogs after the two Clubs entered into a three-way trade agreement with North Melbourne.

The Lions will send Martin to the Bulldogs and draft pick 70 to the Kangaroos and receive draft pick 63 in return.

The 33-year-old joined the Lions for the 2013 season after playing 57 games over five years for Melbourne and emerged as one of the premier ruckmen in the league while in Brisbane.

Martin played 133 of his 190 games for the Lions and was the 2015 Merrett-Murray medallist as Club Champion.

He broke through for his maiden finals campaign in 2019, his 12th season in the AFL, and was named the Lions’ Best Finals Player.

Lions GM of Football David Noble thanked the veteran ruckman for his contribution.

“In thanking Stef, we all think of his total contribution to our club over the years he has been here and the absolute and total professionalism he has not only displayed himself, but embedded through our playing group,’’ he said.

“His leadership has grown enormously in the recent years as part of the senior leadership group.

“I’m sure his journey still has some way to go and we wish him well.”

We met Stefan some years ago when the kids were at a clinic, and Stefan would be up there with one of the nicest men we've had the fortune of meeting - he was happy having pics with my son and daughter and was even happy engaging in more than 'small' talk.

I have no doubt this wont be the last we see of Stefan as if Im not mistaken, he was a very intellectual and considered man, so think he'll be in demand as a senior sports administrator if he went down that path.

All the best Stef, got everything out of yourself and such a shame we couldnt get you a flag in 19 or 20.

We met Stefan some years ago when the kids were at a clinic, and Stefan would be up there with one of the nicest men we've had the fortune of meeting - he was happy having pics with my son and daughter and was even happy engaging in more than 'small' talk.

I have no doubt this wont be the last we see of Stefan as if Im not mistaken, he was a very intellectual and considered man, so think he'll be in demand as a senior sports administrator if he went down that path.

All the best Stef, got everything out of yourself and such a shame we couldnt get you a flag in 19 or 20.
Was quite sad to see him go but it was kinda justified in the end I guess, his body let him down in the end as with the start to his career.
Middle was awesome where for a period was probably one of the best 5 rucks in the comp, just so happened to be when he was playing for us.

All the best for whatever lies ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back