Traded Stefan Martin (2012-2020)

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Traded to Brisbane from Melbourne for picks 53 and 73.

MARTIN_STEFAN_246[1].jpg

Drafted to Melbourne, pick #3 2007 Pre-season draft.

DOB: November 17 1986
Height: 198 cm
Weight: 103 kg

Career games: 57
Career goals: 23

Career high hitouts: 40 vs Carlton, 2012
Career high disposals: 25 vs Essendon, 2011
Career high marks: 8 vs Fremantle, 2011

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Demons may trade Stefan Martin
Jay Clark
October 05, 2012

MELBOURNE is prepared to trade athletic ruckman Stefan Martin as its list overhaul continues

On the day the club signed Geelong wingman Shannon Byrnes, it emerged the Dees have offered up Martin, 25, in trade talks with rival clubs.
The spring-heeled big man, who has one year remaining on his contract, is believed to be open to a move elsewhere, after 57 games in five years at the Dees.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Stefan Martin to join Lions
October 26, 2012
Greg Davis

MELBOURNE has made yet another trade deal with ruck-forward Stefan Martin headed to the Brisbane Lions.

The Lions and Demons were locked in a stalemate for two days with Melbourne wanting pick No.33 in exchange for Martin. However, Brisbane was only prepared to offer pick No.53.
The clubs have reached a compromise with Brisbane giving Melbourne picks 53 and 73 for the 26-year-old.

930703-josh-fraser.jpg

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
2011 highlights are very impressive -

• Shows his got footy smarts and poise, to an extent (goal against gcs)
  • Not afraid to crash packs, back with the flight - personally this was my biggest concern having heard he was soft?
  • Also, purely due to coincidence, he and Moloney teamed a couple of times in that package, so you'd think they have somewhat of an understanding between each other. (Yes I realise this is stretching it)
  • Only query I have - seems to me Martin's best football came as the no.1 ruck/ drifting into defence - a kick behind the play. Will he be able to fit into a structure where he is predominately a forward? playing at best 30-40% ruck

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only query I have - seems to me Martin's best football came as the no.1 ruck/ drifting into defence - a kick behind the play. Will he be able to fit into a structure where he is predominately a forward? playing at best 30-40% ruck

Ever since hearing that we were in for a shot at Stefan, I have had a nagging suspicion that he is going to continue playing that kick behind the play type back man with Maguire and Patfull, and that Merrett would spend time forward again.

I will be very interested to see how we use Martin.

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Ever since hearing that we were in for a shot at Stefan, I have had a nagging suspicion that he is going to continue playing that kick behind the play type back man with Maguire and Patfull, and that Merrett would spend time forward again.

I will be very interested to see how we use Martin.

Ahh good point. Just assumed Merrett would play FB following his superb end of season form.

Another highlights package from '11

Sportsnewsfirst

Martin's shift was confirmed approaching the 2pm deadline, after he asked Demons officials to consider his departure.

Obviously SNF isn't a reliable source, but interesting to read that it was Martin who requested the trade.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Welcome to the mighty Lions Martin! Very happy with your acquisition considering you fill a major need and we didn't have to give up much. You are the type of player who I could see flourishing in a new environment and really improving and developing as a footy player.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
2011 highlights are very impressive -

• Shows his got footy smarts and poise, to an extent (goal against gcs)
  • Not afraid to crash packs, back with the flight - personally this was my biggest concern having heard he was soft?
  • Also, purely due to coincidence, he and Moloney teamed a couple of times in that package, so you'd think they have somewhat of an understanding between each other. (Yes I realise this is stretching it)
  • Only query I have - seems to me Martin's best football came as the no.1 ruck/ drifting into defence - a kick behind the play. Will he be able to fit into a structure where he is predominately a forward? playing at best 30-40% ruck

I think his highlights while in the back line or the last line of defense are more impressive than his forward entries. Just from the two videos posted here though, obviously.

He seems to be a really strong contested grab, at least a year ago. Let's hope a fresh start can unearth that again. Looks like this dude has a bit of development to go still. Exciting times.

Sammy94

Debutant
Jan 19, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
According to Kerr, Martin is studying a law degree.
He scored a 99.9 ENTER (victorian yr 12 system, best score you can get is 99.95) and was offered a scholarship to study law at Melbourne University and chose it ahead of a basketball collage scholarship over in the states.

BlairForceOne

Debutant
Aug 30, 2011
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He scored a 99.9 ENTER (victorian yr 12 system, best score you can get is 99.95) and was offered a scholarship to study law at Melbourne University and chose it ahead of a basketball collage scholarship over in the states.

Wow what a talented bloke, stoked we managed to get him.

I like that he is a player that jumps at the ball and looks to take it out in front with his hands. We dont' have a lot of tall forwards who play like this. Would add a different dimension to a forward line with the likes of Brown and Lisle who are more grounded forwards.

Greg Davis

The Lions and Demons were locked in a stalemate for two days following Martin's visit to Brisbane earlier this week with the Demons chasing pick No.33. The Lions were only willing to part with pick No.53 but added pick No.73 yesterday to sweeten the pot.
Brisbane national talent manager Rob Kerr said Martin's versatility was crucial.
"Structurally, a player of Stefan's ability is critically important as it provides us with a flexible tall who can be effective both in the ruck and around the ground," Kerr said.
"The shifting ruck rules seem to suit players with Stefan's athletic capabilities."

According to Kerr, Martin is studying a law degree.
IIRC he's doing a double degree, science and law.

Good get fellas, unfortunately at Melbourne's expense. Even pick 33 would have been a good price for his best form throughout 2011 and I hope he can reach it again.

He can play forward, but I think he's naturally better down back. He also has enough aerobic capabilities to run through the midfield and collect 20 touches. Just a bit of a query on his goalkicking which is another reason to chuck him down back.

I'd imagine though that you'd generally play him where Merrett doesn't.

Cheers Eth. I have been suspecting that his best footy is down back. It will be interesting to see where he ends up, or if he will just jump in where needed.
Yep, and I'd say the one reason why he wasn't played there over the last two years was due to our surplus of tall defenders.

Definitely something I'll be keeping an eye out for. :thumbsu:

Last line of defense plays look very promising.
Looks good when flying for marks and is able to clunk a few as well. Should try to leave him one out in goal square, I am starting to believe he'll grab a fair few.

Link

“The plan is to play that ruck/forward position, so hopefully I can learn a few things off guys like Jonathan Brown and Matty Leuenberger,” he said.

martin_brisbane-c.jpg

It seems that there is a theory that the ruck relief should play forward. But if the opposition are doing the same thing, then I can't see why Martin couldn't play back on the opposing ruck/forward, if that is where Martin plays his best footy.

And that photo looks suspiciously similar to the one in the opening post.

Back