Traded Stefan Martin [traded to Western Bulldogs in a three-way trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

MARTIN WILL GET TO BULLDOGS: CONNORS
Stefan Martin appears certain to make his way to the Western Bulldogs, with his manager Paul Connors expanding on his options on Trade Radio.

Martin is out of contract and could have moved as a free agent ahead of last Friday's deadline.

"They've all agreed, he's done a medical ... I'd like to think there's some good will and they'd do a trade.

"If not, he'll get there. I think he'll really look forward to mentoring Tim English."

Sad to see Steph go, but think his papers were stamped when Daniher came in. He can ruck and ruck only and is pretty one dimensional. I thought the Dogs would target more of a hybrid fwd/ruck type player.

I think he is a little cooked, but what the dogs will get is a really good citizen and a great mentor for English. Steph is one of the most professional players at the club and a really intelligent guy also. Can certainly still play at the level.

I think I speak for all Lions supporters in wishing him the absolute best. He was here during the dark times and has always been one of our shining lights. I’ll be cheering for him in doggies colours.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seems a strange selection - he's a similar player to English

Both are average rucks whose value was their ability to cover the ground.

I would have thought a half decent ruck who could play forward would complement the dogs more than Martin.
I doubt we’re picking him up with the intention of playing him every game or being a significant contributor to the team. He’ll be a mentor for Tim and have the ability to play against the better and more physical ruckman, or teams who decide to double team him. He’s an insurance policy/mentor at best.

Stef is also a very physical ruckman and got the most out of his body, and Tim will learn or thing or two from him in that regard.

Seems a strange selection - he's a similar player to English
See, for me I reckon that plays into the Dogs advantage. The fact that their strengths are quite similar shows that Martin can teach English about making the most of being a slightly weaker body compared to the average ruck. IMO the signing is more of a depth/on-field coach option.

He is a better option then Mason Cox and Darcy Fort who we were linked to

He is a better option then Mason Cox and Darcy Fort who we were linked to
I’d rather Darcy fort
Ready made younger replacement on little wage

I’d rather Darcy fort
Ready made younger replacement on little wage
We already have Sweet.

See, for me I reckon that plays into the Dogs advantage. The fact that their strengths are quite similar shows that Martin can teach English about making the most of being a slightly weaker body compared to the average ruck. IMO the signing is more of a depth/on-field coach option.
I think it is a massive pickup. Not sure why Brisbane did it. It leaves Brisbane susceptible if the Big O is injured. With Danihers injury history I wouldn’t put him in the ruck, and Archie hasn’t set the world on fire. When Brisbane is in premiership window this could be a weak point. From a Dogs perspective great pick up, a great citizen, incredibly physical, and great training habits. I see English can play forward and although I wouldn’t play them in the same team every game, I would definitely play them together against teams that have strong ruck divisions.
Stef will definitely teach him how to pump iron, and English will learn a lot by training with Stef.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is a massive pickup. Not sure why Brisbane did it. It leaves Brisbane susceptible if the Big O is injured. With Danihers injury history I wouldn’t put him in the ruck, and Archie hasn’t set the world on fire. When Brisbane is in premiership window this could be a weak point. From a Dogs perspective great pick up, a great citizen, incredibly physical, and great training habits. I see English can play forward and although I wouldn’t play them in the same team every game, I would definitely play them together against teams that have strong ruck divisions.
Stef will definitely teach him how to pump iron, and English will learn a lot by training with Stef.

Stef has always wanted to move back to Melbourne at some stage. Probably hoped to still be playing good footy this year as we pushed for a flag. Unfortunately with his injury it wasn’t the case. And when he did return to the team he was far below his best.

I’d argue Smith and Fullarton could well be better back up next season.

Going to be a ruck mentor as much as a player.
If he can chop out for 5-10 games next year he's done his job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back