AFLW Stella Reid - Welcome to Tigerland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Richmond Stella Reid.

Reid all about her here.

Stella Reid
Height 173cm
Current Team Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Birthday September 10, 2003
Position Midfielder
One of the smoothest movers and cleanest users of the footy in the pool, Reid has impressed in 2021 with her consistency and versatility, proving herself as an impactful player in the backline, forwardline and on a wing that can be extremely damaging with her penetrating left foot kick and marking around the ground.
STRENGTHS:
Kicking
Versatility
Marking
Accumulation
Scoreboard conversion
Spread
KEY IMPROVEMENT:
Inside Game

Having the opportunity to show her versatility more and more as the season drew on, Reid started her 2021 campaign in the defensive 50, then moved into a midfield role and finished off playing almost exclusively as a forward, roaming up the ground to be a link up player when Oakleigh struggled to get it going forward, utilising her marking and kicking in particular across all three areas of the ground, topping the Disposal, Marks, Goals and Rebound 50’s count for the Oakleigh Chargers in the season despite the switching around, which is a strong sign of her consistency across all parts of the ground.
One of her other big strengths is her positioning around the ground across multiple roles, holding space and timing her run well as an outside receiver around the midfield, timing her leads well and showing strong patterns as a forward, and being where the ball is entering almost every time when in the defensive half, taking intercept marks and setting up play going forward with her penetrating kick.
She was played predominantly on the wing when representing Vic Metro at the U19 AFLW Championships, averaging 20 disposals, 5.5 marks and a goal in the two games against Vic Country and Western Australia, earning a debut with Collingwood VFLW after the Oakleigh Chargers premiership where she rotated from the midfield and defense, perhaps offering an insight into where she may play at the next level.
Mostly due to her role in the teams she was part of, Reid at times looked like she struggled with her inside game, particularly contested ball winning, as she aimed to be the receiver from contests, it’s hard to call this a weakness but is certainly an area that could do with some development at the next level to round out her game.
QUOTES
“A natural ball-winner with a slick left foot and smooth-moving ability, Reid has proven she can play on all three lines of the field. Starting off half-back and pushing up to a wing, Reid finished her season up forward and ended up slotting 15 goals in 11 games, including three in Oakleigh’s premiership win. She averaged 1.4 goals for the season from 20.1 disposals, 4.5 marks and 3.2 inside 50s per game, looked to as a key player to move the ball in transition. She used it well by hand or foot and was able to find space with ease. Multiple times a game Reid would make you wonder how she got in so much space even when tearing it up, but credit to her work rate and smarts to be able to find the open space and then punish the opposition through either her disposal or on the scoreboard.” – Peter Williams via “Draft Central AFLW Power Rankings Victorian Pool: June 2021”
“A versatile left-footer, Reid progressively moved up the ground as the season wore on; starting in the backline and spending a couple of rounds down there before progressing to the midfield for a few rounds, then spending the rest of the season in the forwardline, where she’d go on to be the side’s leading goal kicker. With that versatility comes a wide range of traits that will allow her to slot into whichever area the team she ends up at needs, with her speed, ball use by foot and ability to hold space three of her most impressive strengths. Representing Vic Metro, she was predominantly used on the wing, which perhaps offers some insight into where recruiters picture her playing long-term.” – Declan Reeve via “2021 NAB League Girls season review: Oakleigh Chargers”
“Another who has found a home up forward, Reid provided just the spark Oakleigh needed to break away and form an early lead. She was a reliable target up forward and with her combination of smarts and competitiveness, proved very difficult to beat when the ball came her way. Her two first quarter goals were crafty, latching onto the ball close to goal and finishing in quick time with aplomb to create genuine scoreboard pressure. She very nearly had a third in the same term, but hit the post, before posting that next major in term three with a snap. Her bag of three capped a run of six-consecutive games with at least one goal in style.” – Michael Alvaro via “Top Performers: 2021 NAB League Girls – Grand Final”

Stella Reid.jpg
Stella Reid1.jpg
OC-Stella-Reid stats.jpg

Will have the time of her life in the yellow and black

Reid rapt to be a Tiger

When Stella Reid’s name was called out at pick No. 5 on Tuesday night’s AFLW Draft, she fulfilled a lifelong dream.
By Grace Kalac, Richmond Media
PC280721MW0011.jpg
-

It’s all she’s ever wanted.

When Stella Reid’s name was called out at pick No. 5 on Tuesday night’s AFLW Draft, she fulfilled a lifelong dream.
Despite having represented Victoria in both cricket and hockey, it was football that won her heart over at an early age
"Footy’s always been my love and my passion. It’s the thing I’ve always known that I’ve wanted to do and give one hundred per cent to," Reid said.
"Being in that team environment with a whole group of girls and bonding on and off the field has been the one thing that’s pulled me in."

i2eflwRb.jpg

It was a multiple-screen set-up for Reid on draft night. As she watched the event on her television, she was connected with former teammates on Zoom, and another group of friends on Facetime, all ready to congratulate her when her time came.

While she says the moment when Richmond selected her is all a blur, her emotion was "ecstatic".

"I’m so excited to be a Tiger," she said.
"The whole experience was surreal and having everyone around me (on Zoom) was amazing, even though we weren’t together.
"The Club has been so welcoming...I can’t wait to get stuck into it."

The now-17-year-old started her journey at the Kew Comets as a junior, where she showed her wares as a Best & Fairest winner and Yarra Junior Football League representative.

Since then, the midfielder has built up a resume that includes a 2021 NAB League premiership with the Oakleigh Chargers, Vic Metro representation, and being named in the U/19 All Australian side.

The midfielder/forward, who stands at 173cm, offers plenty of versatility and is known for her strong overhead mark and classy left-foot kick.

thumbnail_IMG_1359.jpeg

After an injury-riddled 2019, followed by a COVID-19-interrupted 2020, Reid soaked up every opportunity in 2021.
One of her most impressive performances came when playing for Vic Metro against Vic Country, where she gathered 23 disposals, taking six marks and kicking two goals.

She also featured once for Collingwood at VFLW level, collecting 13 disposals and four rebound-50s.

Leadership comes naturally to the former Oakleigh Chargers and Victorian vice-captain, and is a characteristic she prides herself on.

"I’ve always done leadership roles at school," the Balwyn High School Year 12 student said.
"I think it’s very important to get around the girls and lift everyone up. Being a role model to the young women coming through football is just incredible...just the impact I can have on people."

Football runs in the family, with her uncle Simon Arnott a former AFL player with Sydney and Geelong.

"He’s been really helpful with providing some tips, he called up (on draft night) to say congratulations and he was really excited," Reid said.
"(And) my parents have been absolutely incredible providing me with every single opportunity, they’ve been the biggest support and I can’t wait to go through this journey with them."

Reid arrives at the Club alongside a familiar face in Emelia Yassir, Richmond’s second selection in the draft (pick No. 16), the two having played for Vic Metro together.

"She’s great, an absolute jet. She’s an amazing player and I can’t wait to be a teammate of hers," Reid said of Yassir.

Last edited:
Looks like a good,kid , I’m sure she’ll do the work and be a player , really nice mark , recruiting manager sees her playing HF , wing for a start
We know her coach at the Chargers reasonably well and she believes that Stella will be a star if desire and work ethic has anything to do with it.

We know her coach at the Chargers reasonably well and she believes that Stella will be a star if desire and work ethic has anything to do with it.

Always with a smile. Probably stays on when she sleeps. Living the dream.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back