All Australian
Oct 13, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
53 Cans Indoor Cricket Club
Hi All,

Trying to look at something positive moving into 2020, and with players we will have on our list. Yes I know Betts and Murphy are the incumbents and McHenry etc could also do a forward pocket. But this in more just a compare the pair of these two.

Assuming both are fit/have the same pre-season and we assume only one will play. Who do you think that we should play first. Stengle or McAdam. Wondering what their strengths/weaknesses are for both? I have seen a few SANFL games and watched them both. But I ain't the best judge, and can't see a standout at this stage.

Discuss.

Never seen McAdam play but Stengle looks like a genuine goal kicking small forward. While forward 50 pressure is all the rage these days I do like seeing a guy who knows how to read a pack and kick a goal.

Hope we invest heavily in him next year.

On another note I’d be replacing Murphy with McHenry as the pressure forward

Ultimately they should play together. Think Willie Rioli & Ryan from West Coast.
Ultimately these 2 have to overtake Betts & Murphy.
McHenry won’t be a forward pocket. He will play high half forward and wing. He has a huge engine. He won’t and shouldn’t play as a pure small forward.
He will still provide good forward half pressure.
Jones will rotate between midfield/wing/half forward and also apply good defensive pressure.
I’d also like Ben Davis starting on the bench rotating half forward and wing too.

I have seen a fair bit of McAdam last year playing with Sturt and a bit this year. On the weekend he had one of those nearly games where he could easily have had 5 goals V port but was wayward (unusually) with his goal kicking. Another full preseason will determine if he can kick on or not I would think. I hope he can as he is a guy that can offer real X factor in the forward line.

My prediction: McHenry will take Stengle's small forward spot when the club decides he's not delivering enough forward pressure.

McAdam isn't really a small forward is he? I thought he was supposed to be Gov's replacement.

My prediction: McHenry will take Stengle's small forward spot when the club decides he's not delivering enough forward pressure.

McAdam isn't really a small forward is he? I thought he was supposed to be Gov's replacement.
Leads up like Gov and takes a good mark, but also collects the ground ball and tackles very well. Has a good turn of pace on him as well.

He genuinely has aspects of every type of a lead up forward, a aerial contesting mark like Gov, and a small forward like Charlie.

A good preseason and we need to lock him in.

I think McAdam is the more naturally talented kid, huge amount of untapped raw ability. But unfortunately he is probably still a full year away from real AFL minutes. So as much as we all want instant gratification in these trade scenario's, I think we will need to be patient with this kid.

Stengle's been in the system long enough and should be in the team week 1 next year IMO, regardless of Betts being at the club or not. I think the 2 of them can create havoc for opposing forward line's if played together, and if Eddie is not at the club, then really Stengle is the natural, goal savvy replacement.

Last edited:

Yeah he is a small forward. He is 181-183cm, very quick, clean at ground level, good skills and can apply good defensive pressure.
Maybe because he can take a good mark he may be confused as a marking option but really he is just like Liam Ryan from West Coast who is a small forward who can also take a good mark.

IMHO, if McAdam stays healthy he will be a very handy AFL player.

I am less convinced about Stengle, he knows how to kick a goal but other aspects of his game are disappointing. I hope I am proved wrong and he becomes the next Eddie Betts.

I expect Ned to play high half forward/wing in the AFL next year!

Hi All,

Trying to look at something positive moving into 2020, and with players we will have on our list. Yes I know Betts and Murphy are the incumbents and McHenry etc could also do a forward pocket. But this in more just a compare the pair of these two.

Assuming both are fit/have the same pre-season and we assume only one will play. Who do you think that we should play first. Stengle or McAdam. Wondering what their strengths/weaknesses are for both? I have seen a few SANFL games and watched them both. But I ain't the best judge, and can't see a standout at this stage.

Discuss.

Likely answer is both will play with Murphy missing out.

Though, you'd pick McAdam if you could only have one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who thinks McAdam is was meant to be a close to like for like replacement for Gov has rocks in their head.

He's primarily a small forward, and very similar to Cameron build tools wise, just a tad more offense for less defense. The intention was to get rid of the McGovern role (seeing 4 talls doesn't work without him), and run with a 3 tall - 3 small forward line with McAdam being someone who has some x-factor, but primarily lives/dies on their defensive contribution.

Anyone who thinks McAdam is was meant to be a close to like for like replacement for Gov has rocks in their head.

He's primarily a small forward, and very similar to Cameron build tools wise, just a tad more offense for less defense. The intention was to get rid of the McGovern role (seeing 4 talls doesn't work without him), and run with a 3 tall - 3 small forward line with McAdam being someone who has some x-factor, but primarily lives/dies on their defensive contribution.
Get ****ed Golumn. I wasn't sure about McAdam's role which is why I phrased it as a question. Maybe you can learn to read before you accuse others of having rocks in their head.

I've barely seen any of McAdam this year and it's not for lack of trying. He was injured a fair bit.

Get f’ed Golumn. I wasn't sure about McAdam's role which is why I phrased it as a question. Maybe you can learn to read before you accuse others of having rocks in their head.

I've barely seen any of McAdam this year and it's not for lack of trying. He was injured a fair bit.

I wasn't directing that comment at you. Whoever told you that, however.

Get f’ed Golumn. I wasn't sure about McAdam's role which is why I phrased it as a question. Maybe you can learn to read before you accuse others of having rocks in their head.

I watched the SANFL replay the other night ...rally liked McAdams tricks & speed ....reckon the closest player he plays like is Liam Ryan from WC

I knew about his aerial ability but I wasn't aware he was quick.
Yeah he's quick ...again, will be much better next year, if he can get a full PS under his belt

I knew about his aerial ability but I wasn't aware he was quick.
When fit he's not only quick....he's lightning quick and supremely athletically gifted...

RESULTS SUMMARY from the 2015 WA State Combine

A GROUP of 23 top WAFL players were put through their paces when the AFL State Draft Combine was held at HBF Arena on Saturday, October 17.

There were some impressive individual performances, including a record-equalling leap from Claremont's Shane McAdam, 20, who matched Nic Naitanui's 102cm running vertical jump record from 2008.

McAdam also finished with a 2.89 second result in the 20m sprint.

Running Vertical Jump (right leg, left leg)

McAdam, Shane 92cm 102cm
Pickett, Marlon 89 97
Cronan, Michael 92 93
Menegola, Sam 78 92
Adams, Marcus 84 90
Taylor, Matthew 79 90
Ehlers, David 96 87
Harrold, James 80 86
Lynch, Brad 87 85
Broad, Nathan 90 84
Jones, Marshall 82 83
Watson, Jack 65 83
Stewart, Kade 78 83
Bell, Jared 71 82
Branchi, Josh 90 81
Florenca, Jake 69 80
Shaw, John 71 78
Ridley, Levi 77 78
Cameron, Darcy 69 74
Miller, Jimmy 85 73

Vertical Jump

Adams, Marcus 76cm
Pickett, Marlon 75
McAdam, Shane 73
Broad, Nathan 73
Taylor, Matthew 70
Cronan, Michael 68
Branchi, Josh 68
Ehlers, David 67
Menegola, Sam 66
Lynch, Brad 65
Shaw, John 63
Jones, Marshall 63
Watson, Jack 62
Miller, Jimmy 62
Harrold, James 60
Florenca, Jake 60
Stewart, Kade 57
Ridley, Levi 57
Cameron, Darcy 57
Bell, Jared 55

20m Sprint

McAdam, Shane 2.89 seconds

Adams, Marcus 2.90
Cronan, Michael 2.94
Lynch, Brad 2.94
Ehlers, David 2.95
Broad, Nathan 2.95
Stewart, Kade 2.95
Shaw, John 2.95
Taylor, Matthew 2.96
Harrold, James 2.97
Pickett, Marlon 2.98
Watson, Jack 2.98
Florenca, Jake 2.98
Bell, Jared 3.04
Ridley, Levi 3.05
Miller, Jimmy 3.06
Jones, Marshall 3.11
Menegola, Sam 3.20
Branchi, Josh 3.22
Cameron, Darcy 3.39

Agility

Ehlers, David 7.95 seconds
McAdam, Shane 8.04
Pickett, Marlon 8.06
Watson, Jack 8.06
Lynch, Brad 8.09
Broad, Nathan 8.26
Shaw, John 8.31
Florenca, Jake 8.35
Taylor, Matthew 8.40
Adams, Marcus 8.55
Stewart, Kade 8.56
Bell, Jared 8.56
Ridley, Levi 8.60
Jones, Marshall 8.60
Cronan, Michael 8.61
Harrold, James 8.66
Miller, Jimmy 8.66
Menegola, Sam 8.80
Branchi, Josh 8.90
Cameron, Darcy 8.95

I have seen a fair bit of McAdam last year playing with Sturt and a bit this year. On the weekend he had one of those nearly games where he could easily have had 5 goals V port but was wayward (unusually) with his goal kicking. Another full preseason will determine if he can kick on or not I would think. I hope he can as he is a guy that can offer real X factor in the forward line.

So his set shot kicking is usually fairly good?

Any tank?

So his set shot kicking is usually fairly good?

Any tank?
Yeah he is usually a good shot for goal. Needs to build his tank more but considering last year he was running around for sturt and the year before that he was playing ammo's he is doing well. Another full preseason will hopefully get his tank up enough to become a regular contributer at AFL level. He really could be anything if he can get his fitness to that topline level

Hi All,

Discuss.
Stengle and McAdam will both lineup round 1 barring injury imo. Mcadam needs a big preseason to inprove his tank. Has all the skills to succeed. Stengle is very similar to Betts. Great goal awareness, just needs to improve his fitness base and improve his pressure.

Ultimately they should play together. Think Willie Rioli & Ryan from West Coast.
Ultimately these 2 have to overtake Betts & Murphy.
McHenry won’t be a forward pocket. He will play high half forward and wing. He has a huge engine. He won’t and shouldn’t play as a pure small forward.
He will still provide good forward half pressure.
Jones will rotate between midfield/wing/half forward and also apply good defensive pressure.
I’d also like Ben Davis starting on the bench rotating half forward and wing too.
I just don’t think Davis has got it. Would still like him to get a guaranteed half a dozen games so he can go in confident at getting a gig the next week.

I think both are in our future forward line honestly. They’re different types of players - McAdam the freakishly talented, high flying mid-sized forward, and Stengle the crumbing, pressuring, goalkicking small forward. Both could wreak absolute havoc at the feet of Tex and Fog, and need lots of games next year

Assuming Betts and JJ are traded

HF: McHenry, Walker, Lynch
F: McAdam, Fogarty, Stengle

I’d be very happy if we rolled out with that round 1 next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back