Analysis Stengle V McAdam 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Mchenry is not here to play on a half forward flank.

He’s a pure, straight up midfielder.

Given our selections in recent times, I'd rather have him playing HFF in the AFL than midfield in the SANFL, assuming he has the form to warrant a game.

I'm not a fan of just giving games to kids for the sake of getting games into them that they haven't earned, but I'm also not a fan of the stagnant lineups that we keep putting out week after week with guys aren't so much earning their spots as doing just enough to not get dropped because they know that when it comes down to a 50/50 call our selectors will stick with the incumbent.

This really shouldn't even be an either/or discussion. Both play round one in the same forward line.
Exactly.

If we look at the best groups of small forwards in the competition right now

Ryan, Cripps and Rioli

Cameron, McArthy and Christensen

Elliot, Thomas, *Stephenson/Mayne*

And even though the individuals aren't elite, the geelong small forward group functions well as a unit with Miers, Dahlhaus and Parfitt.

McAdam is our Elliot/Ryan/Cameron type.

Stengle is our Rioli/Thomas/Parfitt type.

And Murphy if we persist is that Mayne/Miers/Cripps type.

A balanced small forward blend with genuine athleticism, skill, marking ability and pressure is a big part of being successful in the modern game. We have the makings of one currently, we just need to play them.

I like the potential of Mcadam and I have queries on Stengle - if he reads this forum I may be in trouble but needs to use the off season very seriously not indulge heavily in events such as Streaky Bay New Years!!!
I like the idea of a Fogarty, Stengle, Mcadam forward line that has speed - x factor - skill and grunt.

Stengle is better now, but McAdam is the one with the athletic traits to be a real game changer. He's coming from a long way back fitness wise though.

If we are serious about rebuilding, both should be in line to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back