Player Watch Stephen Coniglio = A bulldozing machine

Remove this Banner Ad

In the last 3 years, we've recruited the reigning Brownlow medalist, another guy who has won his clubs best and fairest and two AA selections, another guy who was the #1 pick , and arguably the best wingman in the competition, and another bloke that won the rising star.

This is massively above average talent flow into Hawthorn. You think this happens by accident?
And what about lynch?, sheil?... how about Sloane?...Fyfe?.... I , along with the rest of Bigfooty was all but assured by your fellow hawfie brethren that these players were certain in coming to hawthorn, cause well hawthorn!-then when it didn’t happen it was”we never really wanted player x, we’re chasing someone else, (generally a much bigger fish )or we pulled out, player Y wanted too much “blah blah blah.

I don’t doubt hawthorn are an attractive prospective club for players . That much is obvious .
What I take umbrage with is when their fans continually spout players choose hawthorn cause -“their the destination club and thus said players think “so therefore I’m going to play for them cause, well their hawthorn, destination club!!!
It’s fab boi/super coach analysis.

As I said there’s a vast majority of reasons players change clubs, winning/running a successful football program being one of them and a major reason your clubs been quite successful in attracting certain players.

To be more specific tho as the Essendon poster pointed above only Mitchell and omeara you could class as “wanting hawthorn “ -Scully as noted was a salary dump by gws(due to namely) his injury. Wingard was essentially told to look elsewhere as port weren’t prepared to meet his salary demands .

Their original clubs decide to keep them they stay , simple. Likewise I’m pretty sure their were few very genuine suitors for both in the first place , both namely due to their current salaries.

Now Hawthorn aren’t seen as decent chance for the flag every year , their no different to at least half a dozen clubs in relation to attracting players.

Last edited:
And what about lynch?, sheil?... how about Sloane?...Fyfe?....

You wanted us to get Wingard, Sheil , Lynch and Scully all in one season? Are you deranged? If we had you'd probably still be rabbiting on with the same nonsense. You realise there is something called a salary cap right? Sloane and Fyfe re-signed at their club as most expected them to. Of those you've listed I believe Lynch and Shiel are the only ones we seriously chased that ended up changing clubs to a club other than Hawthorn. Is that all you've got? We missed out on two players that changed clubs, while getting in the same year Scully and Wingard , and you think that means we are not a 'destination club'. Please do better.

I , along with the rest of Bigfooty was all but assured by your fellow hawfie brethren

Have I slipped into a bay 13 alternative universe?

What I take umbrage with is when their fans continually spout players choose hawthorn cause -“their the destination club and thus said players think “so therefore I’m going to play for them cause, well their hawthorn, destination club!!!
It’s fab boi/super coach analysis.

It is reality. Wingard was heavily courted by Dogs, Essendon were into Scully AND O'Meara. Players are choosing Hawthorn over other clubs. We may not have the sparkle we had when winning 3 in a row (we might have got Lynch instead of Wingard if we did), but clearly we are still a 'destination club', able to draw in top level talent based on our culture, coach, medical team, and player development. You think O'Meara wasn't sold on the rebuild strategy when he came over, and was well aware we were chasing Mitchell well before the Mitchell trade was done? Hawthorn can still sell a success story, top 4 H&A last year shows they can back up the words with actions.

As I said there’s a vast majority of reasons players change clubs, winning/running a successful football program being one of them and a major reason your clubs been quite successful in attracting certain players.

Yes, so you agree we are a destination club. Basically it sounds like you don't disagree that much with what Hawthorn fans keep seeing, it is more that they are mostly right that pisses you off. Are you really so annoyed because Hawthorn fans think they are a show for attracting any elite level free-agent? I can only imagine what your opinion of North fans must be. It must be hard being a Freo supporter, having to put up with WC being the default destination club mentioned whenever a trade back west is on. You finally get a win with Hogan, and it turns out he has issues preventing him getting on the park (so far - I hope he gets back soon, he's had a terrible run of luck the last few years, much of it not under his control).

To be more specific tho as the Essendon poster pointed above only Mitchell and omeara you could class as “wanting hawthorn “ -Scully as noted was a salary dump by gws(due to namely) his injury. Wingard was essentially told to look elsewhere as port weren’t prepared to meet his salary demands .

You don't think Scully after spending the entire season rehabbing his foot/ankle and still not getting back on the park wasn't attracted by our medical team? Andrew Russell wasn't a one-man medical team you know? So what if Wingard was told to go elsewhere, that narrows it down to 17 clubs, each one of which would have been very happy to have a player of Wingard's quality walk through the door, in the end, the door he walked through was ours. In other words he wanted Hawthorn over 17 other clubs, even if you restrict that to those with cap space, he probably still chose us over 7-10 other clubs.

Their original clubs decide to keep them they stay , simple. Likewise I’m pretty sure their were few very genuine suitors for both in the first place , both namely due to their current salaries.

Scully was considered to be on unders, it is why people were confused on why they were using him as a salary dump, his new contract was considered below market rate for what his output and importance to the team was. Probably reflected how desperate they were for cap space, along with uncertainty on his ankle. Here is two articles saying pretty much the same:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...l/news-story/e08fa07ebd06928e884f138247b315c3
and
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-17/tom-scully-resigns-with-giants-takes-a-pay-cut

It is possible it was back ended I guess, but we'll probably never know for sure. Scully wanted to return for family reason as much as anything, the Salary dump GWS engaged in last year gave him the opportunity to get where he wanted to go.

Now Hawthorn aren’t seen as decent chance for the flag every year , their no different to at least half a dozen clubs in relation to attracting players.

The only thing that has changed is the quality of the players we've traded in has gone up rather than down. Point out these half dozen clubs that have brought in players of the quality of Wingard, Scully, Mitchell and O'Meara in the last 3 off-seasons. In any case, even if you're right 1 of 6 still puts us in the top third of the competition in terms of destination club status.

Last edited:

Good shot for the Brownlow. The gun keeps improving each week.

You wanted us to get Wingard, Sheil , Lynch and Scully all in one season? Are you deranged? If we had you'd probably still be rabbiting on with the same nonsense. You realise there is something called a salary cap right? Sloane and Fyfe re-signed at their club as most expected them to. Of those you've listed I believe Lynch and Shiel are the only ones we seriously chased that ended up changing clubs to a club other than Hawthorn. Is that all you've got? We missed out on two players that changed clubs, while getting in the same year Scully and Wingard , and you think that means we are not a 'destination club'. Please do better.

Have I slipped into a bay 13 alternative universe?

It is reality. Wingard was heavily courted by Dogs, Essendon were into Scully AND O'Meara. Players are choosing Hawthorn over other clubs. We may not have the sparkle we had when winning 3 in a row (we might have got Lynch instead of Wingard if we did), but clearly we are still a 'destination club', able to draw in top level talent based on our culture, coach, medical team, and player development. You think O'Meara wasn't sold on the rebuild strategy when he came over, and was well aware we were chasing Mitchell well before the Mitchell trade was done? Hawthorn can still sell a success story, top 4 H&A last year shows they can back up the words with actions.

Yes, so you agree we are a destination club. Basically it sounds like you don't disagree that much with what Hawthorn fans keep seeing, it is more that they are mostly right that pisses you off. Are you really so annoyed because Hawthorn fans think they are a show for attracting any elite level free-agent? I can only imagine what your opinion of North fans must be. It must be hard being a Freo supporter, having to put up with WC being the default destination club mentioned whenever a trade back west is on. You finally get a win with Hogan, and it turns out he has issues preventing him getting on the park (so far - I hope he gets back soon, he's had a terrible run of luck the last few years, much of it not under his control).

You don't think Scully after spending the entire season rehabbing his foot/ankle and still not getting back on the park wasn't attracted by our medical team? Andrew Russell wasn't a one-man medical team you know? So what if Wingard was told to go elsewhere, that narrows it down to 17 clubs, each one of which would have been very happy to have a player of Wingard's quality walk through the door, in the end, the door he walked through was ours. In other words he wanted Hawthorn over 17 other clubs, even if you restrict that to those with cap space, he probably still chose us over 7-10 other clubs.

Scully was considered to be on unders, it is why people were confused on why they were using him as a salary dump, his new contract was considered below market rate for what his output and importance to the team was. Probably reflected how desperate they were for cap space, along with uncertainty on his ankle. Here is two articles saying pretty much the same:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...l/news-story/e08fa07ebd06928e884f138247b315c3
and
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-17/tom-scully-resigns-with-giants-takes-a-pay-cut

It is possible it was back ended I guess, but we'll probably never know for sure. Scully wanted to return for family reason as much as anything, the Salary dump GWS engaged in last year gave him the opportunity to get where he wanted to go.

The only thing that has changed is the quality of the players we've traded in has gone up rather than down. Point out these half dozen clubs that have brought in players of the quality of Wingard, Scully, Mitchell and O'Meara in the last 3 off-seasons. In any case, even if you're right 1 of 6 still puts us in the top third of the competition in terms of destination club status.
Put a sock in it, dude

People on the main board probably don't want to read about Hawthorn's recruiting & wishlists

Take it to the Drafts & Trade board

Put a sock in it, dude

People on the main board probably don't want to read about Hawthorn's recruiting & wishlists

Given I was responding to bullshit directly addressed to me , I suggest you save your unsolicited (and several months late) advice for the poster I was responding to. Or in other words, G.A.G.F.

Given I was responding to ******** directly addressed to me , I suggest you save your unsolicited (and several months late) advice for the poster I was responding to. Or in other words, G.A.G.F.
Doesn't matter. Mate, it's f***** embarrassing to see all that biased Hawthorn toss-off on the main board about "destination club" and our medical superiority. Brag about that crap on the Hawk board.

Nothing personal. I'm just letting you know that nobody else on here cares about all that biased Hawk drivel. It just makes you look like a bit of a tool. I'm trying to help you. :thumbsu:

Doesn't matter. Mate, it's f***** embarrassing to read all that biased Hawthorn toss-off on the main board about "destination club" and our medical superiority

Post that **** on the Hawk board

If someone posts what I believe to be bullshit in a direct reply to a post I've made, I'll post whatever the * I like in response. Haven't you got anything better to do than dredging up posts made months ago to simply respond with "put a sock in it"? Seriously, put a sock in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all due respect, why would Cogs go to hawthorn?

Suggest Shiel set the course with that.

Where else does he go though? The best possible suitors in terms of cap space are all in the bottom 10.

The Bulldogs might appeal, but I can’t see him wanting to join St Kilda, Carlton or North Melbourne.

If Coniglio wants to join Hawthorn they’ll make space one way or another, even at the expense of decent best 22 players.

Cogs or Kelly for the Brownlow. Pre-Season pick and both look the goods for that.

Quality players.

Stage is set for Cogs tonight. Will he rip it to shreds? Or will the Dons light it up and take centre stage?

I hope it lives up to it's potential. On paper, and expectations at least for both sides it has all the ingredients. Just need some Coniglio cooking to bring it to the boil ( unlike his Nonna's cooking a few years ago :) )

Has to be in the top 5 players of the league now.

Not dynamic enough to be considered one of the best.
He's a workhorse like a souped-up version of Taylor Adams.
His teammate Josh kelly is more influential to the outcome of a football match than Stephen Coniglio.

Fyfe, Dangerfield, Martin, Kelly, Grundy, Sloane, Walters, I would pick ahead of Coniglio.

Not dynamic enough to be considered one of the best.
He's a workhorse like a souped-up version of Taylor Adams.
His teammate Josh kelly is more influential to the outcome of a football match than Stephen Coniglio.

Fyfe, Dangerfield, Martin, Kelly, Grundy, Sloane, Walters, I would pick ahead of Coniglio.

I absolutely love Sloane, but would take Cogs any day of the week as a like for like replacement. That ceiling + age profile.

Would also take him over Walters and Danger - yes sooky Crows supporter

I absolutely love Sloane, but would take Cogs any day of the week as a like for like replacement. That ceiling + age profile.

Would also take him over Walters and Danger - yes sooky Crows supporter

No more ceiling. This is as good as it gets for Coniglio and it' pretty damn good but hardly in the same ball park as Dangerfield's resume.
When all is said and done (barring injury), Dangerfield will have averaged just as many possessions but have an extra 200+ goals over Coniglio.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back