Player Watch Stephen Coniglio = A bulldozing machine

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope he stays at GWS. Eventually GWS need to hold on to their players in their prime. Can't keep losing names like Treloar, Smith, Adams, Shiel and expect to push for a flag.

Plus, couldn't stand seeing him go to a Hawthorn or Essendon. 3/4's of Hawthorn's team are trade ins.

Hope he stays at GWS. Eventually GWS need to hold on to their players in their prime. Can't keep losing names like Treloar, Smith, Adams, Shiel and expect to push for a flag.

Plus, couldn't stand seeing him go to a Hawthorn or Essendon. 3/4's of Hawthorn's team are trade ins.

The names you mentioned are not elite.............too many high draft picks is not beneficial to the overall team structure. You need a handful of A graders, supported by at least a dozen b graders who buys into the team ethos and then some youngsters to keep the team fresh.

whoop whoop whoop.. did I hear it right that he has to 'stay' at his place of potential...
choose is as choosy does.. lemons are as sweet as nothing.. he is a dog gone talent that should be poached if possible...

What a strange thread. Apparently Coniglio is a better kick than Josh Kelly (???) and Dangerfield (they're both erratic kicks but Dangerfield tends to make mistakes kicking long and gets more contested possessions). Also Hawthorn are going to go all out for another mid to go with their 0 reliable key position players (1 if you count Sicily). Great stuff everyone, would read again.

To play under the best coach in the league who he respects highly.
His best mate (Jaeger O'Meara) plays there. Another good friend (Tom Mitchell) also plays there. A fair draw to line up in the middle with a couple of friends.
He gets to play 10 to 14 games a year, in front of decent crowds, on the MCG.
The Hawthorn training and medical staff are amongst the best in the league.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I admit that I laughed at 'decent crowds'. West Coast supporters almost outnumbered you on Saturday

What a strange thread. Apparently Coniglio is a better kick than Josh Kelly (???) and Dangerfield (they're both erratic kicks but Dangerfield tends to make mistakes kicking long and gets more contested possessions). Also Hawthorn are going to go all out for another mid to go with their 0 reliable key position players (1 if you count Sicily). Great stuff everyone, would read again.
Cogs is a far better kick than Dangerfield. He’s a great user on either foot. His set shot kicking is nearly the best in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cogs is a far better kick than Dangerfield. He’s a great user on either foot. His set shot kicking is nearly the best in the comp.
Really? For someone who doesn't always have huge contested possession numbers he turns it over an awful lot.

You mustn’t watch him much.
His almost certainly low kicking efficiency can't just be put down to taking riskier options and he's not disposing of it under pressure as often as more inside players so yeah, he's an erratic kick.

Thanks for Brian Lake - he was terrific

His almost certainly low kicking efficiency can't just be put down to taking riskier options and he's not disposing of it under pressure as often as more inside players so yeah, he's an erratic kick.

This year
Dangerfield: averages 26 @ 64%
Martin, D: 26 @ 64%
Shiel: 26 @ 64%
O’Meara: 26 @ 63%
Kennedy (SYD): 27 @ 64%
Kelly, T: 26 @ 63%
Boak: 32 @ 63%

Coniglio: 28 @ 65%

He is there or there abouts

Don’t get me wrong, there are lies, damned lies and statistics - and there are many with better figures (Fyfe, Pendlebury etc.) but that bracket is certainly respectable company.

do you call all of the above butchers or only Cogs?

This year
Dangerfield: averages 26 @ 64%
Martin, D: 26 @ 64%
Shiel: 26 @ 64%
O’Meara: 26 @ 63%
Kennedy (SYD): 27 @ 64%
Kelly, T: 26 @ 63%
Boak: 32 @ 63%

Coniglio: 28 @ 65%

He is there or there abouts

Don’t get me wrong, there are lies, damned lies and statistics - and there are many with better figures (Fyfe, Pendlebury etc.) but that bracket is certainly respectable company.

do you call all of the above butchers or only Cogs?
I’d say Martin is the only really good kick among them. But he regularly has six players trying to take him down which obviously hurts his de. All very good to excellent players regardless. I’d rate cognilio a tidy kick but he isn’t in the class of Whitfield or kelly.

I have strong doubts that Cameron can coach them to a flag. They have been roughly the same level for several seasons and the flaws in the game plan have not been addressed. I can see why cogs would have doubts about remaining at gws and why he would consider hawthorn an attractive destination. I guess we will see in time if he moves. His arrival at hawthorn would open up some very big possibilities. I think you all might be surprised at the pace at which the list is transformed if cogs comes. If he doesn’t it will change the strategy no doubt.

Which is why you might see multiple gws players come to hawthorn in the near future. Scully already there. Cogs...Patton...Whitfield next year...if you can see it so can they.

Yeah they will all be beating down the door to get into a bottom 4 side in desperate need of a rebuild...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back