Recommitted Stephen Coniglio [re-signs with GWS for 7 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a tip...

Having gone through the Tom Lynch saga last year...

Any supposed ITK that claims that it is 50/50 or the player is leaning towards staying is either not actually in the know, are retracting or are being led in a merry dance by their sources

Cognilio likely made his decision months ago and it’s tin foil hat territory to suppose city hall will have any influence over the decision
Nah Tom Browne would know

What about something like 1st + ceglar for Patton so GWS end up with pick 7 + something around 12 + Ceglar who they probably need more than Patton. It is a bit more than they got for Shiel and leaves hawks with 2nd round for McGuiness

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That Would be better than compensation but would we get more in a trade of we matched?

That Would be better than compensation but would we get more in a trade of we matched?
I’d be surprised if another club could/would offer more.

That’s an early (ish) first, a mid first plus a solid player that fills a need. Extremely unlikely to happen but I think that would be a good deal for the Giants.

Dug up this article from last year from Gil re Lynch...worth a read.

While he does mention he likes the romance of players being a 1 club player, he goes on to say it's Tom's decision, that he has no issues with players moving clubs, that the ambassadorial money won't hinge on whether he stays on GC or not and that the impact of one player at a club is overstated.

Um did he say any of those things when talking about Coniglio? No.

In fact he was must stronger in his language the other way, saying 'i'll be explicit - I want him to stay up there (at GWS)', that he would be 'disappointed' if he left, appealed to him as a 'leader up there' that he should stay and that his advice is that 'it wasn't a given' that he will leave.

What ******* bulls**t.

While he does mention he likes the romance of players being a 1 club player, he goes on to say it's Tom's decision, that he has no issues with players moving clubs, that the ambassadorial money won't hinge on whether he stays on GC or not and that the impact of one player at a club is overstated.

In fact he was must stronger in his language the other way, saying 'i'll be explicit - I want him to stay up there (at GWS)', that he would be 'disappointed' if he left, appealed to him as a 'leader up there' that he should stay and that his advice is that 'it wasn't a given' that he will leave.

What ******* bulls**t.

I must of missed the part where he says the ambassador money hinges in him re-signing?

So worded slightly differently but basically the exact same thing.

What ******* bulls**t.
Gil is spot on about success often following a big name player leaving and ...

Oh wait..

0C9E0713-791A-4D08-BFEA-D31FC4DC9872.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or maybe they are just backtracking a little? It was supposedly a done deal that he was going to Carlton if that was true i highly highly doubt the Coniglio would backtrack on a commitment to a team.
At no point did our ITK definitively say it was a done deal.

They would've got back Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom though. Both were decent players.
no pau gasol was going to the bulls im pretty sure, and lamar odom was a high draft pick with massive off-court problems. Cp3 was one of if not the premier young player in the NBA at the time. Was nowhere near fair compensation.

At no point did our ITK definitively say it was a done deal.

But what if it wasn’t down to Carlton and GWS?

Would it be akin to last year where the late minute rekindled interest in Sheil (when Essendon dragged committed to trade two first rounders and then renegades) retrospectively validated the credibility of the posters?

But what if it wasn’t down to Carlton and GWS?

Would it be akin to last year where the late minute rekindled interest in Sheil (when Essendon dragged committed to trade two first rounders and then renegades) retrospectively validated the credibility of the posters?
Didn't definitively say Shiel was a done deal at Carlton either.

Didn't definitively say Shiel was a done deal at Carlton either.
But isn't being very strong but leaving a chance that it doesn't happen just a cop out?

Not trying to have a go but the Coniglio to Carlton talk was very very confident even if they never said it is done.

But isn't being very strong but leaving a chance that it doesn't happen just a cop out?

Not trying to have a go but the Coniglio to Carlton talk was very very confident even if they never said it is done.
I think having the highest offer on the table gives you the right to be confident. To be in front of what is fundamentally a bidding war would make you believe you're a strong chance.

But as we both know money is just one factor of a multivariable equation when Cogs is making his decision.

no pau gasol was going to the bulls im pretty sure, and lamar odom was a high draft pick with massive off-court problems. Cp3 was one of if not the premier young player in the NBA at the time. Was nowhere near fair compensation.
Yep I was mistaken. In a 3-way trade, Pau was going to Rockets (and they were sending more assets back to NO Hornets).

End of the day, it's just never a good look when the league bosses have a dual role (managing the league, and acting for a particular team).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back