Recommitted Stephen Coniglio [re-signs with GWS for 7 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawthorn pay scale is a myth perpetuated by supporters who think they know the salary cap status of multiple teams.

Some of the posts ITT are wishful nonsense. Case in point:

Setterfield was drafted in 2016 and played 2 games in 2017. You reckon he was set to be earning $500k in 2019? So this year they would've had Hopper, Kennedy, Taranto, Setterfield and I'll throw in Perryman who re-signed also eating up $2.5m in cap space... seems legit. One wonders why they let Lobb, Shiel, Scully etc. go when these guys were on such good coin and barely playing. Carlton's salary cap must be getting tight given all the GWS players they have brought in. Or did they just abandon their big money deals for the allure of playing for a wooden spoon winner?

Would love to see a full breakdown of GWS salary cap position. My estimate based on BigFooty armchair experts has it somewhere between $15m and $16m.

I know for a fact that happened. Thats why they were so keen to move Kennedy and Setterfield on. Setterfield was pick 5 and Kennedy was 13. Carlton are more than happy to trade pick 45 and this years second round pick for pick 5 and the reason the Giants were happy to move him was their cap was in trouble and it was these deals that put too much pressure on. I know nothing about Perryman but can only presume the Blues were happy to pay more money than they would ordinarily to ensure they cost less at the trade table. Scrimshaw the same at the Suns and Scully is a slightly different case

I know for a fact that happened. Thats why they were so keen to move Kennedy and Setterfield on. Setterfield was pick 5 and Kennedy was 13. Carlton are more than happy to trade pick 45 and this years second round pick for pick 5 and the reason the Giants were happy to move him was their cap was in trouble and it was these deals that put too much pressure on. I know nothing about Perryman but can only presume the Blues were happy to pay more money than they would ordinarily to ensure they cost less at the trade table. Scrimshaw the same at the Suns and Scully is a slightly different case
Do you have any evidence for this? Hawthorn supporters knowing the GWS cap situation so intimately is becoming dreary.

Of course you do.

GWS have a lot of first round picks, why single our one or two of them as mythical $500k players?

I find it hard to believe that with salary cap concessions winding back (and then ahead of schedule) that they went on a signing spree for unproven players.

Are we free to discuss it?
If you want to actually discuss it sure. If you just want to ask posters that didn't mention it why it was posted by someone else then no

Would've thought that is fairly obvious.

How anyone chooses to believe their club divvies up the salary cap is their prerogative, but it doesn't trump the realities of player contracts and movement.
I think it is pretty clear that not every club will throw the same money or contract length at players. They have different ways of going about it.

Whether their pay structures will let them attract a FA or retain a player is an interesting question. Geelong traded for Danger to keep to their existing player payment structures.

Sydney completely changed theirs to bring in Tippett and Franklin

It’s the club who say it. Mentioned literally thousands of times by Clarko, Wright, Kennett, et al.

Kool Aid. Drink up.

Coniglio chose to re-sign with GWS rather than join my team because he has been there 8 years, clearly enjoys it there and they offered him a salary commensurate with his standing in the game.

I could convince myself that we didn't really want him or we did but he didn't fit in our pay scale or he was basically signed sealed delivered (oh year) until Gil opened his stupid trap but everyone knows what a player of his calibre is worth and as a grown man of 26 years of age he made a decision on where he'd like to continue playing football and that's with GWS. End of. Shame not everyone can be as mature and realistic as me. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest issue the expansion clubs is that they are forced to overpay for kids. Taranto and Setterfield were re-signed for years 3 and 4 before their first pre-season was over and years 3 and 4 had them earning 500k each. Hopper and Kennedy were the same the year before. Giants were forced to by their managers as there are challenges in keeping kids in Western Sydney to play in front of 8000 people each home game.

Not to mention the Giants have now extended Kelly, Coniglio and have Cameron, Greene, Whitfield on big money with Ward, Davis, Taranto on the next line. The Afl has intervened and propped up the Coniglio contract. I don't necessarily have any issue with that and I have no issue with the Suns getting a priority pick at 2 this year (and I think they may need 1,2,3 next year)

Scrimshaw was the same (extended on big money) and couldn't get a game. The Suns cap was mismanaged and now they are trying to fix that. Getting rid of guys they can't get the best out of is an issue and unlike the Giants the Suns seem to be losing pick 7's and 10's that haven't done much where as the Giants seem to lose Treloar types and be well compensated for them. Lynch obviously landed the Suns Rankine, being the exception.
Bullshit.

Kool Aid. Drink up.

Coniglio chose to re-sign with GWS rather than join my team because he has been there 8 years, clearly enjoys it there and they offered him a salary commensurate with his standing in the game.

I could convince myself that we didn't really want him or we did but he didn't fit in our pay scale or he was basically signed sealed delivered (oh year) until Gil opened his stupid trap but everyone knows what a player of his calibre is worth and as a grown man of 26 years of age he made a decision on where he'd like to continue playing football and that's with GWS. End of. Shame not everyone can be as mature and realistic as me. :)
What are you talking about? Where have I said anything but that?

I actually said I was glad he stayed at GWS, it's good for the game and that it's clear that he loves it up there.

I also said by all reports our offer was less than what his final GWS deal is which is demonstrably true - but for all I know, not the reason he stayed.

But hey, hear what you want to hear :drunk:

What are you talking about? Where have I said anything but that?

I actually said I was glad he stayed at GWS, it's good for the game and that it's clear that he loves it up there.

I also said by all reports our offer was less than what his final GWS deal is which is demonstrably true - but for all I know, not the reason he stayed.

But hey, hear what you want to hear :drunk:
According to multiple sources the Giants offer was the smallest. (Robbo, Matthews, SEN, Macquaries Sports)

You seem to be hearing what you want to hear.

Last edited:
According to multiple sources the Giants offer was the smallest. (Robbie, Matthews, SEN, Macquaries Sports)

Hawthorn never offer a player more then 5 years. Not even Franklin, Hodge and Tom Mitchell have been offered that sort of lengthy contracts. I mean maybe the Hawks did offer more “money” than GWS but the length of the contract I’m pretty sure the Giants offered more years.

According to multiple sources the Giants offer was the smallest. (Robbo, Matthews, SEN, Macquaries Sports)

According to my sources Coniglio signed with GWS and not a club that isn't GWS.

My club offered him the opportunity to play football with my club. He said no.

Not one of those sources said we'd offered more than $1m a year for 7 years, they just lumped us in with "rival clubs" offering more. The most that's been reported is $1m for 5 years, though sources from the club are saying it was more like $900k. Hardly hearing what we want to hear...

It's just the regular backpedalling occurring after they miss another player. It'll soon be down to they were offering him 2 years at 500k but promises of premierships.

Not one of those sources said we'd offered more than $1m a year for 7 years, they just lumped us in with "rival clubs" offering more. The most that's been reported is $1m for 5 years, though sources from the club are saying it was more like $900k. Hardly hearing what we want to hear...
Sources from inside HFC have not had a good week, just sayin

Lynch 7 years to move as a free agent
Coniglio 7 years to stay
Martin 7 years to stay
Fyfe 6 years to stay
Gaff 6 years to stay
Shiel 6 years to move under contract

Maybe 5 years doesn't cut it any more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back