Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't think WC have made contact with Kelly's management, nor Kelly's management with WC.

Ignoring the fact that there's no suggestion Kelly wants to move to WA the only way we could satisfy GWS in a trade would be to gut our list.

I think the post was in regards to Tim Kelly

We still might. He's only just turned 25 and has plenty of footy left.

We re-signed Gaff, McGovern and Yeo so you wouldn't think we are flush with cap space but then no one rated our list going into 2018 and we have LeCras gone and Kennedy, Hurn turning 32 this year who won't be around forever. The salary cap is a bit of a joke anyway. We can offer Coniglio $1m a year over 5 or 6 years and only pay him $150k in 2020 if the other years work out. We just won't be trying to buy him with a North style offer.

Eagles wont outbid anyone.

They will offer him a very lucrative but fair deal 5 yr min and if Cogs wants to play for a successful club with a pretty decent list and half a state behind them he will.

West Coast is a pretty easy sell as a destination for a player chasing success on and off field.

We still might. He's only just turned 25 and has plenty of footy left.

We re-signed Gaff, McGovern and Yeo so you wouldn't think we are flush with cap space but then no one rated our list going into 2018 and we have LeCras gone and Kennedy, Hurn turning 32 this year who won't be around forever. The salary cap is a bit of a joke anyway. We can offer Coniglio $1m a year over 5 or 6 years and only pay him $150k in 2020 if the other years work out. We just won't be trying to buy him with a North style offer.
I think our cap situation is a lot better than most think. We have had a raft of retirements recently with Lecca, Priddis, Mitchell freeing up space. Lycett left and was on good coin and with cap increase we were one of the few clubs that didn't include automatic cap rises. Yes we resigned Yeo, Shuey, Gov and Gaff but the cap hold would of been not as much as people realise given we were already paying them well. I wouldn't think it would be hard to find 800k for cogs its sastifying a trade and protecting future cap squeezes that is the problem

I think our cap situation is a lot better than most think. We have had a raft of retirements recently with Lecca, Priddis, Mitchell freeing up space. Lycett left and was on good coin and with cap increase we were one of the few clubs that didn't include automatic cap rises. Yes we resigned Yeo, Shuey, Gov and Gaff but the cap hold would of been not as much as people realise given we were already paying them well. I wouldn't think it would be hard to find 800k for cogs its sastifying a trade and protecting future cap squeezes that is the problem
Interesting post, good to realise it's not just us. I guess guys like Brander, Ryan and Rioli are likely going to command good money when their rookie contracts end.

With is it's basically still growing pains.

My guess is $800k is around the mark. I still think a trade can be avoided by making sure your offer is better than ours though.

End of first round compo is less than trade value, but we might not match anyway.

The big risk to us is I'm pretty sure future salaries were part of the frank discussions held last year that saw some guys leave. If we go outside that to match a bid on Cogs then someone like Tomlinson or one of the others might get their nose out of joint because their contract is set in stone.

If you dont think that happens look at Devon Smith in 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many people just running their own clubs agenda on this thread and massively overrating their chances of landing/retaining Cogs.

I’ve got some breaking news... Nobody has a f***ing clue what Cogs is going to do in 10 months time because he probably doesn’t even know yet!

He is a brilliant player and many clubs have a case to offer. Does Hawthorn make sense? Absolutely, but so does West Coast and GWS. Let’s be honest, he can’t really go too far wrong choosing out of those three. But for all we know he could end up at bloody Adelaide!

People need to stop declaring ‘certainties’ every 2 seconds so that you don’t all look like idiots in November!

So many people just running their own clubs agenda on this thread and massively overrating their chances of landing/retaining Cogs.

I’ve got some breaking news... Nobody has a f***ing clue what Cogs is going to do in 10 months time because he probably doesn’t even know yet!

He is a brilliant player and many clubs have a case to offer. Does Hawthorn make sense? Absolutely, but so does West Coast and GWS. Let’s be honest, he can’t really go too far wrong choosing out of those three. But for all we know he could end up at bloody Adelaide!

People need to stop declaring ‘certainties’ every 2 seconds so that you don’t all look like idiots in November!
You do realise what board you're on right?

No discussion or back and forth then no trades board.

I have no idea myself what he will do but it makes sense that he would stay otherwise we would of traded him last year.
(Have no idea how the Hawks make sense over WA and The Giants. Friendship with 1 player doesnt do it)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ok mods you heard that man.

Close the thread, in fact close the whole board please~

We haven't declared a certainty, so not at all. We would claim the inside running for a guy that's happily signed on the bottom line twice before, and would have had a chance to put his hand up last year.

The Eagles position makes sense because of his history. None of them are saying it's a done deal either. Well maybe a nutter or two but all clubs have those.

Saying he's a mate of O'Meara just isn't the same. A great club system and the best coach in the comp possibly, but that's not the argument being made.

Saying he's a mate of O'Meara just isn't the same. A great club system and the best coach in the comp possibly, but that's not the argument being made.

Mate, theyve got one of those heart-shaped "BFF" necklaces where each person gets one half of the heart. Rumours abound that they even give each other friendship bracelets before their sides play against each other.

Mate, theyve got one of those heart-shaped "BFF" necklaces where each person gets one half of the heart. Rumours abound that they even give each other friendship bracelets before their sides play against each other.
Off topic but Jezza actually admitted giving a freindship bracelet to Tom Boyd. Truly disturbing.

We haven't declared a certainty, so not at all. We would claim the inside running for a guy that's happily signed on the bottom line twice before, and would have had a chance to put his hand up last year.

The Eagles position makes sense because of his history. None of them are saying it's a done deal either. Well maybe a nutter or two but all clubs have those.

Didn’t say you personally declared any certainties but I have definitely seen some very overconfident posts on this thread from some. I agree that GWS are probably likely to retain Cogs, but that doesn’t mean they definitely will.

I also never said Cogs would come just because of Jaeger, but as you outlined for me there are a number of potentially compelling reasons that could make Hawthorn a consideration.

Just because a player didn’t request a trade in a given year, it doesn’t mean that they will never exercise their right to free agency. That would make it redundant, which we all know is not the case.

I enjoy people talking about trades and player movement etc. It just annoys me when people claim to know what is going on in players minds when clearly nobody does.

Didn’t say you personally declared any certainties but I have definitely seen some very overconfident posts on this thread from some. I agree that GWS are probably likely to retain Cogs, but that doesn’t mean they definitely will.

I also never said Cogs would come just because of Jaeger, but as you outlined for me there are a number of potentially compelling reasons that could make Hawthorn a consideration.

Just because a player didn’t request a trade in a given year, it doesn’t mean that they will never exercise their right to free agency. That would make it redundant, which we all know is not the case.

I enjoy people talking about trades and player movement etc. It just annoys me when people claim to know what is going on in players minds when clearly nobody does.

I enjoy people talking about trades and player movement etc. It just annoys me when people claim to know what is going on in players minds when clearly nobody does. FWIW I get just as annoyed seeing Hawks fans calling it a done deal as any other club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back