Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But last year it was the private jet.
This year it's the rumour of a $2m sweetcake offer.

If you're doing all that and not landing the big fish there's something fundamentally wrong with the approach. Or the club.

I am not really worried about external/outside perceptions of the club and so called missing out on big fish.

Essendon played massive overs for Shiel, and I for one, am rapt at that outcome.
In some ways, I think it would be good for footy if Cogs stays at GWS. I still value loyalty in footy very highly.

Who cares?! Let’s forget Cognili. Ok he’s a good player but he is not the difference between failure and get a premiership. Coz if it did GWS would be premiers by now or this year. And we all know how that has worked out.
And when Hawthorn got O’Meara lots of people thought that he, and Mitchell, would put them back at the top of the ladder.
Well where is Hawthorn today?
These so called star players are overrated. Just like Clarkson. Sure the clubs he has coached have had success and he has made a big contribution to that but, take him out of those equations, and Hawthorn would probably have won them all.
Be careful about being carried away by The Messiah Complex.
With apologies to Monty Python: He’s not the Messiah. If you’re lucky he’s just a very naughty boy”.
The only successful naughty boy is Alistair Clarkson!
Forget O’Meara, Lynch and Cognilio!

True

Good thing you have David Teague though :)

Coniglio must be champing at the bit to leave a perennial finals contender and join a team that’s won 10 games in 3 years and will more than likely finish 16th this year. Gotta wonder what is going through his head if he actually goes through with it. I’d want a years solid form not just 5/6 weeks

Coniglio must be champing at the bit to leave a perennial finals contender and join a team that’s won 10 games in 3 years and will more than likely finish 16th this year. Gotta wonder what is going through his head if he actually goes through with it. I’d want a years solid form not just 5/6 weeks

Plus there is the ‘training wheels’ Teague factor

Tom ‘the spectrum’ Browne was reporting $1.3m in the first season a few days ago. Now the numbers being thrown around are $2m in the first season

Something must have happened :)

And no report on the Hawthorn salary, has a bit of JOM and Tom Mitchell about it

I guess for Carlton there is always the Visy jet as back up, I hear Shiel was a fan

The AFL.com.au article has to be the most useless s**t ever. I don't even believe they talked to all these clubs, but even if they did, they all spat out nonsense cliche and still wouldn't put any identifying factors in it.

CLUB ONE: "It's a stab in the dark because I don't know, but I'd say Carlton or Hawthorn. I'm not hearing anything to say he's staying there, but we haven't been involved in it. Carlton is one of the clubs that definitely has money to spend, like the Bulldogs. The other thing I couldn't rule out is a left-field option, like the 'Buddy' Franklin situation where everyone thinks it's going one way, but it goes another and takes us all by surprise."

CLUB TWO: "I think it's Carlton. I don't know for sure, of course, and haven't been involved in any of it but it comes down to these questions for me. If he's staying, why hasn't he signed yet, or at least, why hasn't he told the club he's going to hang around?"

CLUB THREE: "For a long time I've thought it was narrowed to a couple of clubs, being Hawthorn and Carlton, or staying at the Giants. We hear what everyone else is hearing about Carlton, but it’s not something we’ve spent much time on."

Etc.

So they know as much as. It's Carlton, Hawthorn, GWS, or something left-field! Thanks for the reporting guys!

Lachie Neale seems to be enjoying his move to a bottom dweller 🤔

Damn, Saints board has no ITK posters? That must really suck bro.

Not at all. How many % of so-called itk actually know? 5%, 10%? Seems like such a chore to determine who's legit and who's fos. Also, these supposed itk when things don't plan out, they always hide behind their standard checklist of excuses.

What's the upside in getting info from some cyber stranger? You get to tell everyone you know? Feel important? Show off? It's probably 10 times more likely your info is wrong and you'll look like a complete fool.

Just feels like a pointless exercise. Being a keen poster in draft forums doesn't affect anything. What influence do you have? Zero. Does it change your life hearing, something could happen, maybe, potentially, possibly, probably? There's already enough info out there in the news and radio to give you a good idea what to expect. No need to be so desperate that you're literally begging people to say they're itk and to tell you something.

Why get yourself worked up? When the time is right, everyone will know. Doesn't matter if you're happy or unhappy, feel free then to show any emotion you want. anger, happiness, sadness, anything really. Because by this stage you'll actually know for sure and you're not just jumping at shadows.

Not at all. How many % of so-called itk actually know? 5%, 10%? Seems like such a chore to determine who's legit and who's fos. Also, these supposed itk when things don't plan out, they always hide behind their standard checklist of excuses.

What's the upside in getting info from some cyber stranger? You get to tell everyone you know? Feel important? Show off? It's probably 10 times more likely your info is wrong and you'll look like a complete fool.

Just feels like a pointless exercise. Being a keen poster in draft forums doesn't affect anything. What influence do you have? Zero. Does it change your life hearing, something could happen, maybe, potentially, possibly, probably? There's already enough info out there in the news and radio to give you a good idea what to expect. No need to be so desperate that you're literally begging people to say they're itk and to tell you something.

Why get yourself worked up? When the time is right, everyone will know. Doesn't matter if you're happy or unhappy, feel free then to show any emotion you want. anger, happiness, sadness, anything really. Because by this stage you'll actually know for sure and you're not just jumping at shadows.
Kinda, there's a lot on the Carlton board (maybe 5 main ones) who claim to be itk and they're all usually 50/50, I always take their word with a grain of salt. It's the posters that have proven time and time again that show they have obvious connections with the club that I pay any attention to.
It's not necessarily a chore to find out who's legit if they have 10+ years of posting experience and they've built a reputation of delivering reliable info and slowly gained trust.

You're right, there's nothing really to gain from knowing early, i just thought every club had at least one.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mix signals will do that. On Monday, something obviously happened at the club. Positive indication from the ITK posters, particularly the holy grail of all posters. Following this, reports of there being a "strong belief" that the blues have landed Coniglio by the media, clearly by no coincidence.

Then suddenly we hearing Coniglio told them no? I'm not sure Carlton would've got the reaction they did if the reception was negative.

Your ITK’s have been MIA since Monday.. scurrying for the hills, trying to save face. They’ll return under new aliases at some stage lol

Your ITK’s have been MIA since Monday.. scurrying for the hills, trying to save face. They’ll return under new aliases at some stage lol

Yeah someone has leaked the front loaded $2m figure to the press...

And with all due to respect to the esteemed Carlton ‘ITK’ posters (best in the business :drunk: ) the party leaking is doing it for a reason...

If all else fails Janette can lend the blooze the company jet, we know that worked so well for Shiel so it’s worth a shout

I would say there are two possibilities: He stays at the Giants; he requests a trade to the Hawks.

The media love to create a story & by inserting Carlton, a team supposedly on the rise, it peaks interest.

Everyone with 1 iota of a brain cell know this mate.. unbelievably, the mafioso clan think it’s their divine right to tell the world how brilliant they’re gonna be and how much money they have and how exciting they are that basically Cogs would be inept not to play for them.

Meanwhile Wrighty/Clarko/McKenzie sit back, smoke the pipe, act like true professionals and let this thing play out knowing they have a firm belief cogs chooses us.

Hope you smack them today, I actually like you blokes on paper to beat them and with Ratts you have a brilliant coach 👍

Everyone with 1 iota of a brain cell know this mate.. unbelievably, the mafioso clan think it’s their divine right to tell the world how brilliant they’re gonna be and how much money they have and how exciting they are that basically Cogs would be inept not to play for them.

Meanwhile Wrighty/Clarko/McKenzie sit back, smoke the pipe, act like true professionals and let this thing play out knowing they have a firm belief cogs chooses us.

Hope you smack them today, I actually like you blokes on paper to beat them and with Ratts you have a brilliant coach 👍
Lol

It’s 2 mil in the first year alone, not each year for the duration of the contract.

The extra for next year is basically a signing fee.

Exactly. The additional $1m for one year also purchases getting him as a rfa and avoids losing multiple first round picks or players. So two first rounders retained by paying an extra $1m on top of landing a gun.

Its actually good list management and why you save cap space paying 95% of the cap for three years.

And for a club like Carlton makes perfect sense.

You are a Hawthorn supporter. So let’s test my view this way. Sydney thought that by luring Buddy Franklin from Hawthorn they would win a premiership. That necessarily meant that they thought that they would weaken Hawthorn so as to significantly diminish its chances of winning a premiership.
Well how did that work out?
The so called diminished Hawthorn won 1 or 2 premierships without Buddy. And Sydney won no premierships with Buddy.
So let’s forget about The Messiah Complex!

Sydney landed Franklin for his marketing ability as well.

They made two gf's with him but fell short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back