Restricted Free Agent Stephen Coniglio

Turbocat

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
There's a whole thread for Geelong fan nuffiness RE: Kelly. We're not taking him in the PSD.

Coniglio is a FA target and if GWS have a good year a potential trade target. We're not going to go to GWS and say 'yeah we'd love to trade for Coniglio but our first rounder is off the table because we need to overpay for Tim Kelly'.
You mentioned geelong silly buggers etc ... so perhaps take your own advice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obeanie1

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Absolutely that happens, and I haven't said it doesn't. Your club has a rep for looking after players financially and otherwise post career, but all clubs do it. Nothing wrong with that in my view, it's an admirable tradition.

It's in keeping wuth a footy tradition at lower levels for employment opportunitues to be opened by supporters in a position to help.

What I'm saying is you cant be that blatant about transferring player payments which is what your saying. If a player finishes their career and gets offered a well paying job no problem. If a player is offerred a well paying job in lieu of payments then that's a huge problem.

You just have to be careful about the process I think.
Agreed it needs to be done carefully.

Then again players still get kick backs behind the scenes. A discount here a discount there. Etc.

The brown paper bags method has run its course though.

Obeanie1

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
You mentioned geelong silly buggers etc ... so perhaps take your own advice.
Dangerfield's comments today were a tad interesting. Eagles being premiers didnt help their cause in trading for Kelly.

Cats didnt want to make the top team stronget.

Yet Dangerfield and the club had empathy with the family factor.

Silly buggers?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
Agreed it needs to be done carefully.

Then again players still get kick backs behind the scenes. A discount here a discount there. Etc.

The brown paper bags method has run its course though.
There'll akways be murky areas. We often employ players partners if they've travelled to Sydney and might be a bit isolated in a new place. We did get some drama employing Scully's dad but generally not. Hard to know where the line is.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
The reality is that if Coniglio wants to join WC we will offer him something outside the cap, whether it's an introduction to a board member of a company who will just happen to be looking for a 25 year old footballer needing a 10 hour a week $200k a year job or whatever...

...that same reality extends to him joining Hawthorn. They'll offer him something too. And if he stays at GWS they'll offer him something as well. So much grey area.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
The reality is that if Coniglio wants to join WC we will offer him something outside the cap, whether it's an introduction to a board member of a company who will just happen to be looking for a 25 year old footballer needing a 10 hour a week $200k a year job or whatever...

...that same reality extends to him joining Hawthorn. They'll offer him something too. And if he stays at GWS they'll offer him something as well. So much grey area.
We might have a job at the club post career if he wants one. There's a few if the originals I'd like us to keep. We employed people from all over the industry to get off the ground and it's gone ok. In time I'd like to see some explayers in the footy dept though.

Isn't Cogs likeky To go into the family business though?

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
Standard D&T board thread, no one knows anything. Could leave GWS, play for a Melbourne club then return to WA when he retires. Could stay at GWS and never leave NSW. Might quit mid contract and try and play in the NFL, people seem to do that now.

I'm an Eagles (& Swan Districts) fan so I hope he joins us as a free agent. That's the best outcome for the team I go for so i'm going to roll with that being the most likely outcome.

Turbocat

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
Dangerfield's comments today were a tad interesting. Eagles being premiers didnt help their cause in trading for Kelly.

Cats didnt want to make the top team stronget.

Yet Dangerfield and the club had empathy with the family factor.

Silly buggers?
Again ... Coniglio thread so.. I'll keep it brief. Its not unusual that clubs would be aware of not wanting to make top teams better... And WC didnt really have an early pick to get it done easily.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
All Blacks Green Bay
When did Coniglio and O'Meara become BFFs?

Coniglio grew up in Perth and played for Swans, was drafted to GWS in 2011. O'Meara grew up in Dongara, played one season for Perth and was drafted to Gold Coast in 2011. They would've played one carnival of U/18s together and that's about it.
True love always finds a way.

THE_GUN

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Piss Off You Troll
Urban myth.
I have been reliably informed we didn't even make an offer as his mind was made up.
Really ?

So why the multiple meetings then ? and if that was not enough one last ditch effort with their best offer coming during the 'jumping the fence' charade
the only urban myth is that you have been told. The myth is on behalf of the person who told you

Eddie's face went red every time he was on footy show and asked about Lynch. He would have come out and said that we are not in the race and have no interest if what you say is true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
All Blacks Green Bay
Standard D&T board thread, no one knows anything. Could leave GWS, play for a Melbourne club then return to WA when he retires. Could stay at GWS and never leave NSW. Might quit mid contract and try and play in the NFL, people seem to do that now.

I'm an Eagles (& Swan Districts) fan so I hope he joins us as a free agent. That's the best outcome for the team I go for so i'm going to roll with that being the most likely outcome.
I am a Hawthorn and Swan Districts fan who has, also spent some time down at Lilac hill.
Which is why I am rolling with Stephen joining Hawthorn as a free agent before returning to WA to bat first drop for the Western Warrior's and the Australian test team, as being the most likely outcome.

Pure_Ownage

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
Eagles have two 2nd rounders plus a 1st in this draft plus future picks.

As a rfa Cogs could net GWS a single pick in the teens if he goes as a rfa. So anything better than a single pick in the teens is in play.

I would offer two firsts for Cogs. 2019 plus 2020.

Kelly out of contract I would offer the two 2019 2nd rounders.

Job done.

Brander may come into the Cogs deal as he was GWS bound thriugh their academy before the zones were changed.

Eagles have the currency to land both so no need to worry.
You cant trade a future 1st and 2nd from the same draft without trading a future 2nd back in so your proposed trades arent legal under the current rules.

Eagles are unlikely to get both Coniglio and Kelly without losing a quality player in return.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
You cant trade a future 1st and 2nd from the same draft without trading a future 2nd back in so your proposed trades arent legal under the current rules.

Eagles are unlikely to get both Coniglio and Kelly without losing a quality player in return.
I keep saying it, but I'm far from convinced we would match to force a trade. Whether WC have the cash to blow us out of the water with money, or would want to, is another question.

Obeanie1

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast

The scenario only had one future pick traded out.. The 2020 future 1st with the 2019 current 1st for Cogs.

Eagles already hold two 2019 2nds for Kelly ours plus the Swans 2nd.

So only one future pick involved 2020 plus three 2019 picks.

If those picks were involved I coyld see a fringe player involved to round out a deal but if a quality kid came in then some of those picks come out.

Bailey Wilkiam and O'Niel are Vic kids taken early on that could be involved. Nelson is another but needs a good season. If Brander went to GWS then one of the 1st rounders woyld come out.

Last edited:

Virgin Dog

All Australian
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I keep saying it, but I'm far from convinced we would match to force a trade. Whether WC have the cash to blow us out of the water with money, or would want to, is another question.
Why wouldn't you though? Unless it's an absurd amount of money (like $1mil+) that the club simply can't afford to match, surely the best result is either keep the gun player, or force the trade to get something better than what is likely to be ~Pick 12 (or thereabouts). It probably comes down to what Josh Kelly does in the end

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
Why wouldn't you though? Unless it's an absurd amount of money (like $1mil+) that the club simply can't afford to match, surely the best result is either keep the gun player, or force the trade to get something better than what is likely to be ~Pick 12 (or thereabouts). It probably comes down to what Josh Kelly does in the end
It's nowhere near that simple.

The club has been in discussions with the playing group since last year. Undoubtedly that would have included what they can expect in future contracts.
What everyone gets paid affects what the others get paid.
I think we have a figure and wont move much, if at all. I think he will sign in the bear future but if he wants to go, then he goes.

archiemoses

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
First round picks are like second hand cars.

You may have picked Brander with a first round but there is no way you would get theat for him now.
Lol. Literally the dumbest thing I've heard. Lucky we didn't trade Luke Shuey for a 7th rounder after his first season!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Top Bottom