Restricted Free Agent Stephen Coniglio

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red WIngs
The whole joke here is that GWS don't need him anyway. They bat that deep with elite talent, then top up with more as the guns leave. Hence the dishing off Scully as a cap dump. Their list depth is phenomenal. It's scary.
Not really.

B: Nick Haynes - Phil Davis - Heath Shaw
HB: Lachie Whitfield - Aidan Corr - Zach Williams
C: Stephen Coniglio - Callan Ward - Tom Sheridan
HF: Tim Taranto - Jeremy Cameron - Toby Greene
F: Zac Langdon - Jonathon Patton - Harrison Himmelberg
R: Dawson Simpson - Jacob Hopper - Josh Kelly
I: Brett Deledio - Matt De Boer - Adam Tomlinson - Adam Kennedy
E: Sam Reid - Jeremy Finlayson - Matthew Buntine - Harry Perryman

Shane Mumford
Daniel Lloyd
Dylan Buckley
Isaac Cumming
Aiden Bonnar
Brent Daniels
Nicholas Shipley
Sam Taylor

Then 11 other players (none of whom were top 10 draft picks) with 0 AFL games between them.

Their "elite depth" is an out-dated myth, if it ever existed, beyond "they had a bunch of former high draft picks who were injured or not getting senior games, so they had elite players in reserve".

TBH, their depth looks rather mediocre and largely unproven at the minute. If injuries hit at the rate they have for the Giants in the past few years, then they could be in a spot of bother.

AFL Club
GWS
Apparently it's 3 options ATM, go home to WA and play for Freo, Stay at GWS or head to Victoria and play for Hawthorn.
Not really.

Shane Mumford
Daniel Lloyd
Dylan Buckley
Isaac Cumming
Aiden Bonnar
Brent Daniels
Nicholas Shipley
Sam Taylor

Then 11 other players (none of whom were top 10 draft picks) with 0 AFL games between them.

Their "elite depth" is an out-dated myth, if it ever existed, beyond "they had a bunch of former high draft picks who were injured or not getting senior games, so they had elite players in reserve".

TBH, their depth looks rather mediocre and largely unproven at the minute. If injuries hit at the rate they have for the Giants in the past few years, then they could be in a spot of bother.
Our list was never what nuffies made it out to be. That's not the clubs doing. We've never had more than 2 players make the AA squad. Our depth was pretty impressive in 2016 but we still had a confessional list size and cap that year.

You're wrong in thinking it's going backwards though. The players we've traded have yielded young talent back. We nailed the 2017 draft with a pretty poor hand that included Langdon, Daniels, Bonar and Taylor. They could easily all be best 22 this year.

Like all clubs injuries test our depth, we'll have to wait and see this year.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red WIngs
Our list was never what nuffies made it out to be. That's not the clubs doing. We've never had more than 2 players make the AA squad. Our depth was pretty impressive in 2016 but we still had a confessional list size and cap that year.

You're wrong in thinking it's going backwards though. The players we've traded have yielded young talent back. We nailed the 2017 draft with a pretty poor hand that included Langdon, Daniels, Bonar and Taylor. They could easily all be best 22 this year.

Like all clubs injuries test our depth, we'll have to wait and see this year.
I'm not saying it's "going backwards", but there's certainly nothing "scary" about the depth, or the squad overall.

I really think it's turning out to be the sweet spot of exactly what the AFL intended - a good, contending team 5-10 years from start-up, but not the dominating juggernaut that some idiots anticipated/feared.

AFL Club
GWS
I'm not saying it's "going backwards", but there's certainly nothing "scary" about the depth, or the squad overall.

I really think it's turning out to be the sweet spot of exactly what the AFL intended - a good, contending team 5-10 years from start-up, but not the dominating juggernaut that some idiots anticipated/feared.
You did query our capacity to cope with injuries this year, which is really no different to the previous two years. In 2016 we actually didn't have a lot of injuries, when we did have extra depth.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the thrust of your post though.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not really.

Shane Mumford
Daniel Lloyd
Dylan Buckley
Isaac Cumming
Aiden Bonnar
Brent Daniels
Nicholas Shipley
Sam Taylor

It’s still an elite list. Top 4 on paper.

It’s more the midfield depth I was referring to. You’ve got blokes like Taranato on a half forward line. He’d be starting mid in most sides.

If they lost Cogs, it’s another first round pick that would also come in.

Don’t forget draftees like Caldwell from last year that already look ready to go.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies, Wanderers
I’m assuming it was done with his permission - if he was looking to walk out at the end of the year, why would he put his name to a 4 year $400,000 program in Western Sydney?

Hmmmmm....

More than 3000 multicultural students across 20 schools in Western Sydney will get closer to the GIANTS than ever before thanks to a new community program named after two of the club’s stars.
The Stephen Coniglio-Amanda Farrugia Community Program is made possible thanks to a $400,000 commitment over four years from the NSW Liberals and Nationals Government.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bugs1977

All Australian
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Considering half the garbage from people trying to link him to whichever club they follow.

This is much more relevant.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
This program has about as much relevance as JOM and Cogs being thunder buddies for life. Cogs being Italian and raised with old school Italian values is something that he feels very strongly about wether it’s in NSW, VIC or WA. BTW I’m pretty sure the latgest population of Italian expats reside in VIC.

General Giant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
This program has about as much relevance as JOM and Cogs being thunder buddies for life. Cogs being Italian and raised with old school Italian values is something that he feels very strongly about wether it’s in NSW, VIC or WA. BTW I’m pretty sure the latgest population of Italian expats reside in VIC.
I'd say it's more relevant since it's a 4 year program for Western Sydney.

If you don't like all this talk about where he is going or staying why are you here?

Bugs1977

All Australian
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I'd say it's more relevant since it's a 4 year program for Western Sydney.

If you don't like all this talk about where he is going or staying why are you here?

I don't dislike the talk of his impending free agency at all cause there's a high chance he'll come to Hawthorn. I just don't agree with the straw man logic that because he has signed a 4 year deal on GWS affiliated multicultural program. If anything its things like this being reported and the one most recently where your head honchos have said to Cogs and Kelly name you price whist opening the cheque book. All I hear is panic with the sharks in the water.

Anyways FWIW I do think its a high chance he stays but if he does leave then I think its definitely to the HFC.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Your a different kind of stupid if you think that this is something you think he needs to be in GWS to be involved with. If you ask the kids of these schools who he was then 90% of them wouldn’t know.
wow. abusive into the bargain.
given that is the NSW State Government partnering with GWS for a program entirely based within Western Sydney then I think it is a fair assumption that he would need to be involved with GWS to have his name on it.

and with more than half a million under 15 years old in the region, I'll take a 10% recognition factor as a starting point

Bugs1977

All Australian
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
wow. abusive into the bargain.
given that is the NSW State Government partnering with GWS for a program entirely based within Western Sydney then I think it is a fair assumption that he would need to be involved with GWS to have his name on it.

and with more than half a million under 15 years old in the region, I'll take a 10% recognition factor as a starting point
So for whatever reason if Cogs decides to leave don't you think its as simple as re-naming the program something like the Tim Taranto-Amanda Farrugia Community Program or does the new player have to strictly be Italian?

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
So for whatever reason if Cogs decides to leave don't you think its as simple as re-naming the program something like the Tim Taranto-Amanda Farrugia Community Program or does the new player have to strictly be Italian?
there is that. but why sign on for four years at the very launch of a program named in your honour if you're seriously considering leaving the club you're vice captain of after a couple of months?

to me, it shows more of an indication of his future thinking/plans than pointing out he once played junior footy with a guy from Hawthorn.

but... you know.... big footy's got to big footy I suppose.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
I’m assuming it was done with his permission - if he was looking to walk out at the end of the year, why would he put his name to a 4 year $400,000 program in Western Sydney?

Hmmmmm....

More than 3000 multicultural students across 20 schools in Western Sydney will get closer to the GIANTS than ever before thanks to a new community program named after two of the club’s stars.
The Stephen Coniglio-Amanda Farrugia Community Program is made possible thanks to a $400,000 commitment over four years from the NSW Liberals and Nationals Government.
Wonder how the Jaeger's Juniors programme is going on the Gold Coast?

Bugs1977

All Australian
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
there is that. but why sign on for four years at the very launch of a program named in your honour if you're seriously considering leaving the club you're vice captain of after a couple of months?

to me, it shows more of an indication of his future thinking/plans than pointing out he once played junior footy with a guy from Hawthorn.

The only thing that is big footy being big footy is your straw man theory that just because his name is on a GWS partnered program that he won't up and leave at the end of the season. You either don't know or don't remember that us Hawthorn fans have already been through all this with Buddy. All our fans would clutch at any shadow as to what his intentions ere. He'll NEVER leave Hawthorn is what the logic was.

Anyways you keep doing you mate and don't try and pigeon hole everyone at big footy cause at the end of the day that would include you too.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm

Because he hasn't signed-on to the one contract that actually matters.....Just at a guess mind.

General Giant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
I don't dislike the talk of his impending free agency at all cause there's a high chance he'll come to Hawthorn. I just don't agree with the straw man logic that because he has signed a 4 year deal on GWS affiliated multicultural program. If anything its things like this being reported and the one most recently where your head honchos have said to Cogs and Kelly name you price whist opening the cheque book. All I hear is panic with the sharks in the water.

Anyways FWIW I do think its a high chance he stays but if he does leave then I think its definitely to the HFC.
Hardly considering he has always been our multicultural ambassador.

And I don't see how a "report" saying we are opening our cheque book is any sign of panic when any club is probably doing the same for him and Kelly.

So you hate straw man logic...
Ok so you might as well stay out of here until he signs a contract with us or until trade week as all of this is just discussion and conjecture.

archiemoses

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool

Or he's asked if he wants to support this program and he says na I can't I'm leaving in 12 months.

So I don't think it's as strong a sign as you suggest.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Top Bottom