Restricted Free Agent Stephen Coniglio

General Giant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
And what happens when the players they want to retain don't re-up? (i.e. Cogs and Kelly)

Having more money doesn't mean JS. Just ask any North fan.
Having money as well as having them on your list already is always a good start to the negotiations.

Well both have re-signed before so I guess we will see.

Norths troubles are that they are trying to get ready made stars into the club. We just want to keep ours. Slight difference.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
What a great proposition ..... playing with your best mate who ain’t to shabby as a mid and Tom Mitchell. That’s the starting 3 in the middle for the next 7 years all at their peak. Not bad!
Chuck in Wingard & Scully too.....But remember, Hawthorn aint a destination club no more.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pretty sure I read somewhere that Hawthorn have the oldest average list age.... Maybe you guys can recruit him when he's in his 30's to fit the trend?
The trick is to have a list of experienced, middle aged and youngsters playing together.

Once the oldies call it a day the middle aged replace the experienced, the youngsters replaced the middle aged and then you pick up some more youngsters.

It’s not about only having a stack of top end draft picks. Having said this I do like the early draft picks the blues have had more recently!

Last edited:
AFL Club
Carlton
The trick is to have a list of experienced, middle aged and youngsters playing together.

Once the oldies call it a day the middle aged replace the experienced, the youngsters replaced the middle aged and then you pick up some more youngsters.

It’s not about only having a stack of top end draft picks. Having said this I do like the more recent ones by the blues!
I wish you guys the best of luck anyway. Hope you get him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Not the best source I admit, but Kim Hagdorn has got a few right recently. He reports:

"(Coniglio) has expressed interest in talking to Fremantle"

Interestingly, the report also contained this:
Haggers: He was overruled by the GWS Board of Management for the Captaincy
Basil: Why is that?
Haggers: Because they fear he might be going

He also stated "West Coast probably couldn't afford Steven Coniglio" and Hawks are "hot in pursuit of getting Steven Coniglio"

He's thrown the net pretty wide here, but it's March so not expecting much else at this stage.

No mention of Carlton.

AFL Club
Carlton
Not the best source I admit, but Kim Hagdorn has got a few right recently. He reports:

He also stated "West Coast probably couldn't afford Steven Coniglio" and Hawks are "hot in pursuit of getting Steven Coniglio"

He's thrown the net pretty wide here, but it's March so not expecting much else at this stage.

No mention of Carlton.
If you can't spell his name right, you would have to question the validity of it all.

AFL Club
GWS

No mention of Carlton.
The issue if Cogs and the captaincy is simply there's no opening.

Ward leading from the front and Davis doing the influencing and off field things is a great dynamic. They finished 3rd and 4th in the Sheedy medal last year as well. They're the longest serving captains in the AFL with Joel Selwood for a reason.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm

No mention of Carlton.
Apparently we're into him up to our necks.....Our necks I tells ya.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
If you can't spell his name right, you would have to question the validity of it all.
So you were on my case yesterday about me thinking there’s a good chance Cogs will go to the Hawks. I am not worried about Freo or Carlton’s interest at all no matter how much $$$ they have. If WC don’t throw there hat in the ring then it will be a 3 horse race between GWS, Bombers and us. I’d say the Bombers cap is pretty tight so it will more than likely come down to GWS and us. I’m not silly enough to think that WC would be reckless enough to be considering him and a lot might depend on what they have going on with Tim Kelly.

AFL Club
Carlton
So you were on my case yesterday about me thinking there’s a good chance Cogs will go to the Hawks. I am not worried about Freo or Carlton’s interest at all no matter how much $$$ they have. If WC don’t throw there hat in the ring then it will be a 3 horse race between GWS, Bombers and us. I’d say the Bombers cap is pretty tight so it will more than likely come down to GWS and us. I’m not silly enough to think that WC would be reckless enough to be considering him and a lot might depend on what they have going on with Tim Kelly.
Not sure what the post you quoted has anything to do with what you posted there, but good analysis.

Speculation is rife. Where have you heard about Essendon showing interest from? I have not seen one article mentioning their interest. Pretty much think it is between GWS, Hawthorn and the 2 WA teams anyway.

Last edited:

Vindicater

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
I highly doubt he goes to Essendon. He would be a great fit but after the last two offseasons I can't see us affording him.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I highly doubt he goes to Essendon. He would be a great fit but after the last two offseasons I can't see us affording him.
You and I both know that Essendon always chase who we do. I mean if you didn’t think they were after him then why the hell are you on this thread? Do you just come here for the GIFs?

Top Bottom